on 25 July 2017
Everybody will have heard tracks from this album, but to appreciate the tracks fully they need to be put into the perspective of the album as a whole. I have never been the worlds greatest Tull fan, and up to recently I had satisfied myself with a best of cd. However, having seen a brilliant performance by Ian Anderson and his present incarnation of the band at a festival in Kent recently, I was inspired to take a deeper look at their work, and Aqualung is a very good representation of all things Tull, in my opinion, even if in an interview included on this cd Ian Anderson seems to suggest that he considers it overrated.
on 18 June 2018
I've owned this classic Tull album for over 30 years and have had it on record and then cd and I can confirm that this S. Wilson remaster is definitely (in the booklet which comes with this edition Wilson says he was surprised to discover that the master tapes sounded so much better than the original release version - and we all know that this album was never the best sonic release by Tull) the best sounding Aqualung that I have had the pleasure to listen to! On the downside, the lyrics aren't supplied (the same is true of the other single cd Wilson remaster editions now appearing - ie: Benefit and TAAB) but the booklet IS really informative. No bonus tracks. It's classic Tull and worth having (at the very cheap price which Amazon are selling it at the moment) for the improved sound.
on 25 January 2017
Excellent edition of a truly classic album. I just wish they'd put out this version a few years ago as I bought the deluxe LP version just to get the 5.1 mix!
Anyway, this is the definitive edition of Tull's (possibly) best album and up to the same wonderful standard as the other boxsets. Every home should have one!
on 5 September 2013
Been listening to this since it came out, when I was still at school. My vinyl copy is rather the worse for wear, but still listenable.
Bought this latest CD edition for my son, who'd expressed an interest in having a copy. Some CD versions of old albums are pretty poor, but I'm quite pleased with this one. It seems to capture all the feel of the original, and maintains the dynamic range from very quiet, almost reflective, passages to best-listened-to-louder items like Locomotive Breath. The accompanying sleeve notes (I suppose I should say "CD case insert" or something similar) make an interesting read, about where the tracks came from and how the album came about, none of which I'd read before.
As for the music: in some ways dated (or maybe I just remember listening to it all those years ago), but at the same time just timeless rock, and this has always been a special album. When I bought it all those years ago I had no inkling that in years to come it would attract adjectives like "classic" or "seminal", but listened to in retrospect from 2013, both terms seem appropriate.
It was such terms that made my son interested in having a copy, and when he listened to it, he discovered that he already knew many of the songs, some via cover versions by other people.
And me? I get a free MP3 version on Amazon Cloud that I can listen to on my phone or iPod. Brilliant!
4 people found this helpful
on 23 June 2017
Perfection achieved early on in their career by the eclectic Jethro Tull. A genuine MASTERPIECE in the Progressive Rock genre. At the summit of THE EVEREST, in Prog terms, together with other marvellous albums/CDs.
on 28 August 2017
I have owned an original pressing of this LP since shortly after it was released and it has been played on a number of different turntables/systems over the years - but it has been well looked after. I admit to being a nutcase audiophile, who has never stopped listening to LPs. But the Steven Wilson version is a revelation. In terms of sound quality it has everything the original does not. If you are a Tull fan and want to hear this classic, on vinyl, as it should be heard - don't hesitate any longer, just get it.
One person found this helpful
on 13 March 2018
Amazing remaster.
I am sometimes a little sceptical about remastered classics.
However, when you see Steven Wilson's name you know it will be good.
He has surpassed himself on this fine piece of music, it sounds amazing and has the clarity and power that the original lacked.
Thoroughly recommended.
One person found this helpful
on 29 December 2013
I got in this in vinyl before it was released (father worked at the record factory) and for me it is the ultimate Jethro Tull. Im not hardcore fan of any musicians or groups, so I try to be as objective as possible in my reviews, still 5 stars. Later Ive bought several of Aqualung CDs for presents. This particular is for my young nephew who like Jethro because he has been feeded by his family.

This edition Gives you 11 extra track which is also very good, but then its also not the original edit.
on 16 February 2018
I have this on vinyl and CD. 2 Cds in fact as I can't find the last one I bought anywhere??? Some Tull fan probably nicked it lol. Brilliant...what more can I say.
on 20 February 2017
Great set at a bargain price. The Steven Wilson remix is amazing. I've been listening to this album for 30 years and I'm hearing details I never noticed before. Aqualung has been released and re-released a bunch over the years, but I can't imagine topping this set.
2 people found this helpful