Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 March 2003
What a gem of an album this is!!! Disc one has all the ballads and the second disc contains the dance tracks. "Jesus To a Child" is just beautiful and sung with such emotion. "A Different Corner" is my personal favourite and it moves me every time I hear it. "You Have Been Loved", "Kissing a Fool" and "One More Try" are classic ballads which are all simply superb. "Cowboys And Angels" is fabulous and George's cover of "I Can't Make You Love Me" is just wonderful. The dance tracks are equally as good. "Fastlove", "Outside" and "Spinning The Wheel" are just great 'feel good' tracks. "Somebody To Love" recorded live with Queen is the highlight of the second disc, George really gives this song something, turn this track up loud to get the full effect!! Of course there are so many other classic songs on this album...."Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me" with Elton John, "Faith" and "Careless Whisper"... the list is endless!! It has something on it for everybody so buy it and see for yourself. It is a classic, timeless album that demonstrates excellent songwriting skills, the sheer talent and the versatility of the man that is George Michael.
on 14 November 1999
I would never have bought this CD myself as I am not a big George Michael fan but I was really surprised when I listened to it after someone bought it for me as a present. It really is a great CD to listen to and I play it often. It is mainly split into two sections: the more serious, slow, moving songs like Jesus To A Child and Careless Whisper then the more funky stuff like Faith, Freedon and Outside. There are two tracks on this CD that are my absolute favourites which are Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me recorded with Elton John and Somebody To Love recorded with Queen. There also many others which are just as enjoyable. All-in-all a really great CD.
on 8 June 2000
Its been over 20 years since George Michael burst onto the scene with the ultra succesful pop duo Wham! George's silky smooth voice and unrivalled songwriting seperated Wham from the rest of the brit pop groups of the early eighties. When Wham! broke up in 1986 few would have guessed how succesful Michaels breakthrough solo album would have been. Faith sold over 10 million copies world wide. Its mixture or r&b rhythms and heart felt ballads struck a chord with fans all over the world. It even managed to top the charts in America- the most competitive and prestigious music chart in the world. So George had become perhaps the worlds biggest pop star. But something was missing- respect. His follow up album Listen Without Prejudice was a declararion of his superior songwriting abilities and flawless voice. George Michael had made a conscious decision to distance himself from the superficial side of the music world. He longed for respect and for people to appreciate just how talented he really is. With Ladies and Gentlemen, he manages to fulfill his ambition. The double c.d contains some of the best pop songs of the last twenty years.Yet to simply call George Michael a pop star does not do him justice. His voice is the best in the industry today and his songwriting skills transcend the confines of the pop market. the ballads on the first disc are timeless classics which once heard are never forgotten. The second disc is packed with flawless pop songs which vibrate with raw energy. I recomend everyone to buy this album. It is without a doubt the greatest album of the nineties.
on 22 May 2005
As a 21-year old, I was only a wee nipper when Wham captured the media's attention as the baffling duo of one uniquely talented singer/songwriter and one philander who courted the public's disdain for his drunken mishaps. I wasn't impacted in any way by "Faith", "Listen without Prejudice" or indeed "Older", perhaps because I myself wasn't old enough. However, a few years ago, when I did start to appreciate music and became an avid musician myself, I was given "Ladies and Gentlemen" as a gift. I don't wish to resort to hyperbole but this was a truly transformational moment for me - I was introduced to a musician who was to become, by some distance, my favourite artist of all time.
Ladies and Gentleman is a handsome collection of George Michael's best work. It is at once buoyant, smooth, dark, poignant and occasionally poppy. Disc 1 contains the most beautiful tracks I have ever heard. Whilst "Careless Whisper" is most often cited by people as their favourite GM song, there are four other compositions on this disc that are, in my humble opinion, equal if not better songs: the smooth, jazzy "Cowboys and Angels"; the wonderfully simple yet beautifully sung "Different Corner"; the paradoxically upbeat yet dark "Praying for Time"; and the heart-wrenchingly melancholic "Jesus to a Child".
GM then manages effortlessly to transfer the listener from the emotionally moving songs of disc 1 to catchy, feet-moving and expertly produced fare on Disc 2. "Outside" is based on GM's public indiscretion, but despite the subject it is a great pop song. "As" is a beautifully sung reprisal of the Stevie Wonder classic; "Fastlove" is a phenomenally catchy song that I'm sure provided the basis for the "Men in Black" hit theme tune. "I Knew You Were Waiting" is a fast-moving duet with Arethra Franklin that brilliantly captures the sensational voices of both artists; and then there is "Faith", which alongside Careless Whisper is probably GM's best known work.
There are some omissions in this collection - in particular that of "Everything She Wants", my favourite Wham song - but then an irrefutable consensus on GM's best 30 songs was never going to be easy, given his huge fan base worldwide.
Now that GM is no longer in the public eye, I genuinely hope that other people, people younger than myself, will take a chance and buy this album. They will be handsomely rewarded.
on 11 November 2015
This is a brand new still plastic wrapped 2cd George Michael Ladies and Gentlemen. I did buy this for my mum as she asked for it as she ms quite the George Michael fan and did have this cd but it was a single one (I think) which got lost when her and my dad divorced. Hopefully she will like the double cd... (Though I now feel sorry for my little brother [haha] whenever he's in her car) I've given this 4 stars as the item came within the delivery date I fact I had an email saying it was going to be delivered today and within the hour it was =] the box it came with had 2 other items in and was well wrapped for safe journey.
on 2 October 2015
I was not really a fan of GM until I heard this album...I realised then how many amazing songs he has written. There are of course one or two that are not to my taste, but overall there are gems on this compilation that have changed my opinion of GM as a credible artist.
on 10 August 2014
Ballad side stronger but a great body of work overall. Surprising number of hits after just 3 studio albums (lots of non-album single tracks) and really quite varied. Vs 2 of 'I want your sex' and absence of 'Monkey' in favour of inferior 'Fantasy' is my only criticism (so really 4 and a half stars). But 'for the heart' disc is really quite lovely.
on 5 April 2012
I think we can forgive Georgie boy for crashing into Greggs and falling asleep at traffic lights in a drug fuelled coma, as he has produced some of the best music going. Doesn't matter how old you are, everyone loves a bit of George.
on 1 March 2016
One of the best albums ever recorded. I have a vast eclectic collection, from Soul to Heavy Rock but this album is so classy, well written songs, well engineered sounds and such a pure emotional voice.
on 2 April 2014
I've always adored George Michael's exquisite voice and this CD is just superb. My partner and I listen to it most evenings as we never tire of listening to George and the double CD was excellent value too.