Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 April 2017
That unmistakable sound of Karen Carpenters rich beautiful vocals and Richard's crisp arrangements. Still sounds good today over 40 years later!
on 25 May 2014
Reviewing music is by nature of course a very personal thing. I know many Carpenters fans love this album because of its sheer musicality. Certainly there are more diverse styles included here but after the originality of Now and Then I find it a little more difficult to appreciate. There's an inherent sadness about the laid back effect and this is particularly evident on Karen's interpretation of Richard and John Bettis' "(I'm Caught Between) Goodbye and I Love You" which she certainly seems to sing from the heart - hinting at personal and relationship problems. In addition I find the album rather too unhappy "you are always finding something is wrong in what I do/but you can't re-arrange my life because it pleases you/You've got to love me for what I am" is again a very sad statement by Karen about being used. This album is almost too sad to take - a very low key affair despite the presence of a song simply entitled "Happy".

Karen is obviously wrestling with her inner demons and it is beginning to show. It's almost as if the duo have lost their innocence and grown to maturity - but at what cost?
on 11 March 2017
Another of my favourite Carpenters
on 6 July 2010
I bought this album in vinyl shortly after I started work, many years ago, and loved it... My favourite track is 'I Can Dream, Can't I?' which is performed with much Karen Carpenter tenderness.
Super album!
on 11 March 2013
Best female singer ever.Marvelous songs,great playing and arrangements make this a rare pleasure.Got it for Happy which is hard to find but all the others are either great or good.Only Yesterday is amazing as is Happy,Desperado and Solitaire make you weep.Didnt know Goodbye and I love you and Love me for whatI am but love em as well.What a voice!! What a loss.
Continuing their incredible but well-deserved run of success, the Carpenters came up with yet another great album in 1975. Book-ended by two tracks that only last just over ninety seconds (Aurora, Eventide), this album contains some truly great songs.

Among the songs that Richard co-wrote for this album, the best and most famous is Only yesterday, an outstanding ballad. Not for the first time, the Carpenters found some great outside songs to record including Please Mr Postman (a number one American hit and their biggest-ever British hit (number two), originally recorded by the Marvelettes and covered by the Beatles), Solitaire (a Neil Sedaka song also covered by Andy Williams), I can dream can't I (a huge American hit for the Andrews sisters in the early fifties, when it was credited as a Patty Andrews solo although her sisters sang backup vocals) and Desperado (the much-covered Eagles classic). Other highlights include Happy (which appeared on Singles 1974-1978 though it doesn't normally appear on compilations), Love me for what I am (a superb ballad) and I love you (another superb ballad).

This well-crafted album is essential listening for any fan who wants more than just the big Carpenters hits.
Another very good album from the Carpenters in what I dub the second phase of their career, when Karen's voice was really all that mattered.

'Only Yesterday' is a famous track and contains much of the Carpenters' famous multi-tracked arrangements. It's a real feel-good recording that bounces along and encourages the listener to join in.

'Desperado' is a slow version of the Eagles song that takes 100% voice-control to deliver. Karen Carpenter is, of course, note-perfect.

'Please Mr. Postman', is a much covered song and very well done. It's an interesting observation that when written the post was the most important way to communicate. Nowadays e-mail and texts have replaced!

'Solitaire' is another much-covered song but in Karen Carpenter's hands it is memorable.

This is an album of immaculate recordings, sung by one of the greatest voices ever to grace the pop music industry. Not quite as good (in my opinion) as 'A Song for You' (hence four stars and not five) but still highly recommended.

Listen, relax and enjoy.
on 17 July 2015
I had this on LP when it first came out and always thought it was one of their best albums. I still love it; there is a depth of feeling in Karen's voice that just cannot be matched. I would highly recommend this.
on 31 July 2012
I already have many copies of this favorite Carpenters album of mine - it started with a vinyl version in 1975 which was really worn out from repeated playing. When cds came out, I was lucky enough to be able to get the version made in Germany which I think is the best soundwise. I had such high hopes for this shm-cd version (because of the exorbitant price which is equivalent to P3,000 compared to cds here which sell up to P595 for a double cd) in terms of a higher volume level. As it is, there was no difference at all in the sound level - it was the same as the past cd versions. The only difference is the packaging which was obviously made with care and love - lyrics, a cardboard reproduction of the LP version, plastic cover with the Horizon logo on it etc. Nonetheless, I still enjoyed hearing all 10 songs all over again and just made the best of the experience because the songs on this album are timeless. It brings me back to another place and time when I hear Karen sing "I Can Dream Can't I" or "Happy" or "Love Me For What I Am" or "Solitaire" or "Goodbye And I Love You."
on 25 September 2016
You have to have this album that was a smash it when it came out and kept selling over the years , but this remastered version is so much better as the sound is better and clearer and I keep playing .