Customer reviews

Old Dogs
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 December 2014
I love this album! I am a great Country music fan and this is so wonderful to listen to! It would lift your spirit to buy this one and listen to it! It was such a great idea which all the guys had one day and what a successful album! And I plan to buy other ones they have recorded!
on 22 January 2014
Album of songs all themed on getting old and life experience in general. Wry humour, great vocals. Enjoyed it greatly. Waylon's vocals and guitar shine through it all, and Jerry Reeds vocals are also unmistakeable.
on 30 August 2015
good
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 24 August 2013
all the artists on this cd have made better records individually.recording them together has been a waste of time and talent.its not bad ,just not great
on 19 November 2014
excellent
on 6 January 2003
On "Old Dogs", Nashville legends Waylon Jennings, Mel Tillis, Bobby Bare, and Jerry Reed enthusiastically celebrate the phenomenon of growing older. Singing songs that are funny yet sad, proud yet a little regretful, rollicking yet world-weary, these four good ol' boys gamely personify the lines:
"Now I'm an old man tryin' to do a young man's job. Bouncin' round the room goin sha boom sha boom, hopin my heart don't stop. I'm too old for all this rock and roll, but I'm too damn vain to stop. I'm just an old man tryin' to do a young man's job."
All eleven tracks express a bittersweet understanding of life not yet within the comprehension of country music's young bucks. Just listening to the marvelous lyrics composed by Shel Silverstein, you understand that these great performers - or at least the songwriter - have led full lives, and you, the listener, are being roundly entertained by the collective experience. Perhaps you have to be older and wiser yourself to appreciate the last sad track, "Time".
Figuratively speaking, I tip my Stetson to these four pros.
on 29 August 2013
One of the funniest records on Amazon. For sure!
One small down side, not all songs these guys did are on the album. Check out youtube for other songs from the same concert
on 5 February 2011
I bought this because of the artist line-up, all old favourites, both meanings of old - aged, and artists of long standing. If you're ageing yourself, this is a good CD because it highlights the problems of ageing, in a musical and sympathetic way. If you're young it gives an idea of what you can look forward to,
on 28 April 2000
Being an old country hag this CD is everything I expected it to be and more. I have listened to the artists for many years and I am never dissapointed. A must for true country fans.
This is a fitting tribute to the late, and great, Shel Silverstein.
Rita McShane
on 16 April 2010
This is quite simply the best country CD I've heard in years

I mean, how often do you love every track of an album the first time you play it?

This is a stylish, funny and occasionally moving evocation of the joys of getting older
- performed by four guys who have simply learned how to present a song

Wish I'd been in the audience (or that there was a DVD of the show)

Recommended if you're over forty - or any age if you have good taste!