on 1 January 2014
My grandsons loved this and we have played it often. It is a bit difficult to set up, but if you use an elastic band at the appropriate place (as suggested) it is brilliant. We considered this to be a good buy, despite some neagtive reiews from other purchasers of the cheaper one. I bought this one at the very much dearer price, hoping that it was the original as mentioned by other reviewers. As I said it did work with some fine tweeking by my 8 year old grandson! Worth the extra money if the other version is not so good..
I know that "Mousetrap" is a game in which players take turns trying to capture an opponent's mice, but I am going to take a radical position and say the whole point here is to build this Rube Goldberg version of the proverbial "better mousetrap" and get it to work. Yes, the first time or two that you play this with your kids you can follow the rules and declare a winner. But from then on the fun is just putting this contraption together and getting it to work. The important thing here is that they understand the whole idea of a "Rube Goldberg machine" (he was the inspiration for this toy, even if he does not get the actual credit) and to appreciate the idea of taking a simple every-day real-life problem such as catching a mouse and solving it with a complicated mechanical solution such as what we have here, where you begin with a shoe kicking a bucket and eventually, if everything works correctly, ends with trapping a mouse.
This is a game where the way it really works is that young kids want to learn how to put the "Mousetrap" together and get it to work. After they master that skill they will become bored with it, at which point you simply discover some new kids who have yet to be exposed to this unique, classic game. There are certain games that every kid should be exposed to and "Mousetrap" is on that short list of classics.