Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 November 1999
i don't know no love songs, and i can't sing the blues a devout fan of placebo and david bowie, and lover of all things dark and glittery, this cd was certainly a marvellous choice. i saw the film and immediately went to buy the soundtrack. if you like andrygynous glam rock, please, do swing by your record dealer and snatch this up.
on 9 July 2006
Well, what can I say? When I first saw the movie I was flabberghasted by the music! Now, I'm not usually one to sit though a Ewan McGregor movie and only listen to the soundtrack, but I just couldn't stop myself from ignoring what was happening onscreen and listening to the bright and colourful songs.

The Soundtrack CD is utterly fabulous in many ways. It has many of the songs featured in the movie. However, there's a slight hitch. Some of the songs that are performed by Jonathan Rhys Meyers are not on the CD (the SONGS are, but not his performances of them! Someone else is singing on many). Songs by him on the CD are: Baby's On Fire, and Tumbling Down. A little disappointing, but the other versions are good all the same.

Also, Ewan McGregor's songs in the film (TV Eye; Gimme Danger) are also slightly different. TV Eye is not the same as in the movie, but it's still Ewan McGregor singing, which is fine by me. But Gimme Danger isn't even on the CD!

BUT! Don't let this put you off buying it! No!

The Soundtrack CD is still a mindblower and greatly reflects the colour of the movie! ;)
on 31 August 2003
This album is brilliant from start to finish. Brian Eno opens up the soundtrack with the incredible "Needle in the Camel's Eye", to the gripping T Rex cover of "20th Century Boy" by Placebo, and the amazing vocals of Jonathan Rhys Meyers as he sings with Venus in Furs for "Baby's on fire" and "Tumbling Down". The soundtrack is nicely closed on the 19th song with the classic, "Make me smile (come up and see me)" by Steve Harley.
This soundtrack really is a perfect definition of 70s glam rock, and I would recommend it to anyone of any age.
on 31 July 2004
The movie explored a time of Glam Rock. It was all about the music. Music that is contained right here, on this spendid soundtrack.
Now, I don't usualy go for soundtracks, but I kid you not, this is the real McCoy. Many great artists of the day (Placebo, Pulp and even Thom Yorke) have come together to provide excellent music, sounding as though it was made in 1974. This record will be loved by Bowie fans alike and those who have seen and loved the movie. Otherwise, this may not be for you. I classed it 3 stars instead of 4, as the general track arrangement of the album was disapointing.
on 3 August 2002
Great music for a great film. Although you are not gonna find no Bowie in here this cd is a top choice. From intensively orchestrated covers to hard guitars, it covers it in full. A must have to all Glam lovers.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 25 April 2013
'Velvet Goldmine' is one of my favourite movie soundtracks. In fact, it's the only one I've ever purchased which consists mostly of original material. I loved the 1998 film starring Jonathan Rhys-Myers and Ewan McGregor, but was drawn into the music mostly, and tended to concentrate more on that than the drama of what was actually taking place on screen.

'Velvet Goldmine' is a collection of glam rock songs by glam-influenced bands, both past and present. Shudder To Think wrote one of the album's highlights with 'Ballad Of Maxwell Demon', especially for the film. My favourite tracks are three songs performed by the movie's fictional band Venus In Furs: 'Tumbling Down' (a beautiful song that you could listen to over and over), 'Ladytron' and '2 HB'. Songs that we associate with the era and that everyone will be more familiar with include T-Rex's 'Diamond Meadows' and 'Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)' by Steve Harley.

If you enjoyed the movie, you'll love the soundtrack. A great introduction to glam-rock!
on 11 August 2011
I didn't know the movie nor the soundtrack, I'm not actually a fan of the genre, that is why I say this was a surprise, because it enchanted me so much and so strongly, as a movie and as a soundtrack, that I'm still crazy of of it! It's funny, sexy, vintage, glam...and very nice for JRM fans to hear him sing. I bought it because I was curious, now I love it!
on 29 September 2009
Wow, what a trip back in time. Great soundtrack and I haven't even seen the movie yet. Love the Placebo cover of the T. Rex classic 20th Century Boy.
Do yourself a favour and get it.
on 18 May 2016
Film is incredibly, thus so is this soundtrack. However, it did take three deliveries before I got a CD which wasn't damaged- thank heavens for returns policy.
on 25 July 2012
i got the sound track after falling in love with the movie. so glad i did. im often bopping around my room and singing into a hairbrush to this.