Customer reviews

on 3 June 2009
I own a couple of metal records - Poison the Well, Dillinger Escape Plan, Deftones, that kind of stuff, and I've had this album for about a year now, listening to it a couple of times and thinking 'yeah it's heavy but there's something I'm missing' because I just didn't like it like I like Antenna, which is wicked, but just not hard enough.

I put it on today in the office and everything clicked. The ethereal lonely passages of guitar, the insane electronic feedback, the screamo vocals of subdued singing and raspy shouting, the quick snippits of traditional head-banging metal, the funk flicks between the metal, the wonderfully inventive prog bits where it calms down between punches; this is one of the most astonishingly complex and satisfying albums I've ever heard. It's taken me a year to understand it, but sitting here, now, having it on while I work is so rewarding. It's like a fusion of Faith No More, Smashing Pumpkins, Husker Du, Drowningman and Speedranch & Janskynoise.

I can't believe it's taken so long to tune myself into it?! It's so well balanced! Just when you think it's gone too heavy it stops for some lo-fi dream-pop a-la AMP, or feedback with seagull noises or even more surprising, silence, and then it's straight back into the funky beserker attitude, and then you're thinking, okay, the heavy bits are going too prog for me and Cave In reign it in to kick out Bottom Feeder, like Foo Fighters on PCP. It never gets tired! I'm so glad I finally get it. God, I can do Dillinger Escape Plan, but I can't do Cave In?!

I must've helped that I put on Creative Eclipses EP first, which combines the prog alt-metal of Jupiter with some ambience and Simon & Garfunkel-esque acoustic noodling, and subconciously I guess I thought they do incorporate a lot of styles, and you just have to open yourself very wide to embrace them all at once.

I've tried Beyond Hypothermia but I find that one too shouty. I like the alt-metal and screamo vocals but hardcore vocals are a bit much for me. I think it also sounds a lot less realised, like they were a collection of similar tracks with a similar aesthetic behind them, and there's not enough variety to justify the whole album.

Until Your Heart Stops seems to be a balance between the enraged metal of their influences and a left-of-center sensibility of their own evolving prog-rock sound.

Grand! Utterly thrilling!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 14 January 2003
This was a hell of a trip, let me tell you. Having bought and loved Cave In's Jupiter and then, recently, Tides of Tomorrow, I was, to be honest, a little afraid to move onto their early metalcore material. However, having listened to early Glassjaw, Poison the Well, SikTh and to an extent the Dillinger Escape Plan I thought 'What the hell!' It hasn't left my CD player for two weeks. It is brutal, powerful and in an extremely twisted way beautiful. In 'Moral Eclipse' the perfect tone is set for an album that never once lets up its unrelenting madness. INCREDBLE!!!!! If you like hardcore music this is well worth buying even just to see Cave In's roots; however, if you are a fan only of their late stuff and don't like violent and brutal music, a word of warning: this album is not for the faint hearted!
on 25 May 2006
over the years cave in have evolved into a band that have somewhat lost their edge and hunger but that isnt the case on until the heart stops which is respected in much the same vein as norma jeans bless the album and poison the well opposite of album,this is influential stuff that kicks and beats like a bull in the proverbial china shop,the vocals are screamed with the passion of a man on an electric chair and the melodies and clean vocals are as sincere as one can ever wish to hear,melody is vital to this release.

the album opens like a tornado in your front room with moral eclispe which will throw you around the room with its sheer ferocity and sentiment.The song juggernaut is more than a songtitle and could be described as the impact of the song,the brilliance of this opus is hard to describe,screamcore is a genre that can be done perfectly or terribly and for every good band there is ten poor ones,take it to your deathbed that this is a more than solid release.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
Cave In are one of the few bands who manage to live up to their write ups. It was suggested to me through kerrang! magazine that they were actually trying to send waves of sheer horror through you just from a listen to it. Well they were right. Cave In's music is moving, inspiring and hideously brutal for a metalcore act. I have now owned this album for three weeks and I am still finding new things on every song, little riffs that they managed to squeeze in or the very precise sounding blast-beats that are ever-so apparent. So sufficed to say that this album is something new, the band are progressing too with new album "Jupiter", we see them becoming far more mellowed out. They're singing nowadays along to touching post-hardcore melodies which even your mother will love. However if you're looking for something to absolutely do in your mind and make you scared to touch your CD player again, then "Until your Heart Stops" is for you. Amazing, Brutal, Progressive, Complex and even melodic, Cave In are by far the most promising act in the underground hardcore scene. If you like it, check out also: Dillinger Escape Plan, Candiria, Coalesce and Playing Enemy.
on 30 May 2005
I think so. Quite simply, this is an astonishing metal record. The musicanship on display here is second to none, and the vocals are, without a doubt, the best hardcore vocals I have ever heard. Moral Eclipse is a headbanging feast with catchy vocal refrains such as "No, Lover let go of my neck" co screamed by Jacob Bannon. Juggernaut is the best hardcore song every written, while The End of our Rope Is A Noose shows just how good Cave In are at writing songs. Its an immense show of technically precise riffage and mature songwriting that shows up most of their peers. Each song is different to the next and quite frankly, this album is in a class of its own. If you love metal and don't own this, you must. Heavier than Slayer yet with a definite commercial edge. Accesible without compromising the brutality, 'Until Your Heart Stops' is evidence that, with musical intelligence, hard work and a gift for writing extraordinary lyrics, some metal albums never ever get old.
on 14 July 2003
This album is simply unbelievable; it is truly one of the hardest records ever made. Words cannot describe the relentless, brutal, aggressive and dizzying assault performed on your ears by each track of this album. But what sets it apart from other hardcore albums is the volatile nature of the tracks, it's like each one consists of 3 or 4 that are going on at once, switching from one to another seamlessly. I loved beyond hypothermia, but this album is definitely superior, its much harder, there are virtually no melodic bits or any real singing, the guitar work is frenzied and the vocals are a roaring aggressive cry that will put holes in your ears. A must for all hardcore fans.
on 4 February 2002
An ecletic barrage of molten brutality, mesmerizing melodies, shredding Slayer-esque riffs, and deranged discordant madness. This record is so good its almost sickening, in fact it may well make you puke as the music throws you back and forth, beating you senseless and then eventually discharging you all over the floor. Topped off with a malign vocal rage spitting venom in your face. For those who like thier music as unpleasent as possible.
on 5 December 2003
Hardcore is as harcore does....class