Format: Audio CD|Change

on 23 May 2000
Well done for finding this CD - I first saw this group at the Barbican in London and decided I had to get a CD of theirs, but after the show I was running for the tube and didn't have any spare cash anyway. This album has a wide variety of songs on it from the really fast, wild dances to some pretty melancholic ballads. I would have given it 5 stars, except that there was one tune from the live performance which really sticks in my memory - a truly haunting piece where the lead instrument is a high pitched flute, backed up by the harmonica and a piano type percussion instrument without the keys, which the Tarafs play with incredible speed and stamina. I'm off to buy one of their other CDs to see if it's on there - enjoy it!
on 4 July 2004
If your idea of folk music is boring, beared sots with a precious regard for fossilised ballads then prepare for a shock. Emerging for the Roma community of Romania, Taraf de Haidouks (it means 'band of brigands') play the kind of firey, impassioned folk music that has almost vanished in Europe. Fans of European roots music, like me, will immediately fall in love with this group. This album is an emabarassment of riches and it is difficult to select any one piece as a stand-out track considering how wonderful they all are. If you are interested in folk/roots music at all make this your next purchase. Oh, and they're even better live...
on 1 August 2010
I got this after I saw TDH at the Hammersmith Lyric a few years ago, and I think it's one of the best records I own. I normally listen to alt rock / punk / post punk, so this is a big departure for me but - when I listen to it - I feel like it's always been the kind of music I like, odd.

Beautifully recorded too - you can hear the fingers on the instruments as if you were there - little coughs, chatting and some giggling in the background between songs - EXCELLENT!