Customer reviews

Electro-Soma
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 February 2003
B12's music is one of those rare treats in life. A collection of sounds capable of making you see the human side of what is essentially digital noise. Electro Soma is without doubt my favourite album of all time. Believe me, my CD collection is very large and my spectrum of taste very wide. This CD is the only one that "Will do. Any time, any place". If there is one album that can lift me when I am down or bring me down when I'm up, this is it. I bought this CD years ago and I have never thought if it as being anything other than awesome. I play it rarely, purely because I fear that just like every other CD I own, I will tire of it.

The WARP sound can be one two of things, it can either be random nonsense or it can be warm and era defining (see selected Speedy J). This album fits into the second category 100%. It isn't the sort of album you can instantly say "Classic". After listening to it several times, in several states of mind, you begin to feel the way the sounds and rhythm build, subtle but distinct.

Oh, honestly I could go on all day. Just buy it, give it a chance, ignore it for a while, put it on again when nothing else takes your fancy. This CD is like a good wine, it gets better with age. Be patient and your musical palette will be grateful!
on 24 January 2001
Electro Soma, is to my mind one of the defining moments in electronic music. Tracks such as 'debris' evoke imagery of space junk floating past you while you glide through the solar system, While cuts such as 'basic emotion' remind what beautiful electronica is all about. If you are a lover of electronica, ambient, or even a Warp records afficinado you should own this recording, no trip into deep space is complete without it.
on 14 April 2008
I absolutely adore this album. It's simply one of the best electronica records of all-time and one of my personal favourites. I just 'feel good' every time I play it and never tire of hearing it.

Every inch a masterpiece, it deserves to be heard by everyone who owns a CD player. Even non-electronic music fans would be seduced by it's vibe, warmth and melodic richness. It's great to see B12 back after a few years out, but surely they'll never top this and it's follow-up, Time Tourist.

Interstellar... 10/10
on 1 December 2004
I got onto this album through one solitary track I spotted on a mix tape (Blech). The track which first intrigued me was track 1 on Electro soma - 1 : Soundtrack of space. It drew me in so much so,that I started looking for more info on the group. Only to come across there album on E.bay, where I snapped it up.
If you are a warp fan and I am assuming that you must be if you are still reading that is. This is an album you should add to your collection, a massive soundscape of twisted noise and brooding melodies. Some tracks Ambient some tracks Darker, you could imagine certain tracks making a cameo on a Chris morris Cd and lying comfortably next to there bedmates.
A beautiful Cd of classic Warp style tunes all layered fittingly on top of each other like the most perfect Scooby doo sandwich in the world.
Like most other warp albums this album is hard to define by its year (1993) and has not dated. In fact it has stood the test of time well.
Enjoy.
on 13 December 2008
I first heard this album back in 1994. At the time I was a fan of other Warp artists such as Autechre, Aphex Twin/Polygon Window and the like. For some reason I just didn't get this album. I had never really been introduced to the Detroit sound and I didn't really know what to make of it.
I recently listened to Electro-Soma on my mp3 and I have to say it stands up better (or just as well as) than some of the other AI albums on Warp from that time. If I listen to Dimension Intrusion by FUSE for example, I feel some of it sounds hopelessly dated (the heavier tracks in particular). This does not. Maybe because it was partly retro to start with? I don't know, but that doesn't matter. It's a classic as far as I'm concerned.
Hall of Mirrors, Obsessed and Telefone 529 are my favourites.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 18 January 2004
One of my all time favourite albums. I won't have a word said against this! Mike Golding and Steve Rutter produced this wonderful album for Warp back in the heyday of electronic music that was 1993.
Full of pristine synths, smooth basslines, spacey atmospherics, efficient beats and Detroit-esque strings and melodies, this album stands as one of the greatest ever electronic releases.
I'm surprised when I hear criticism of this album, some call it 'unimaginative', which I find baffling. To me, it's a very creative album. Golding and Rutter were often criticised, along with another genius Stasis (Steve Pickton), of ripping off the Detroit Techno scene and re-packaging it as their own sound. I think that criticism is highy unfair, there are differences between Detroit Techno and the music that B12 and Stasis are putting out. Sure, there may be an influence there, but that's it, it's just an influence. Stasis, by the way is a good friend of B12 and has worked with them.
on 1 August 2015
Just sublime - even after over 20 years it hasn't lost its impact and ambition. Still sounds like music from the future!
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse