Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Cloud Drive Photos Shop now Learn More Learn more Shop now Learn more Fire Kids Edition Shop Kindle Pre-order now Shop Men's Shop Women's

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 9 February 2003
I just love this album - everything about it is wonderful.
Joni's singing is superb - the set is laden with gentle, subtle, tuneful songs, but listen to the lyrics and the messages are there for us to hear, but not rammed doww your throat.
In an album which does not have even an average song - no weak links here - my favourite is "No Apologies". The message of anger at what is happening in the world comes across, but with quiet authority, pedal steel guitar and Joni's unmistakable guitar picking. This is typical - throughout, the musicianship is top-notch, very much understated and enhances her singing.
If you loved "Turbulent Indigo", and thought it would be hard to beat, I urge you to listen to "Taming The Tiger" and you will find that it has exceeded it's predecessor. What is more, the booklet of lyrics and paintings is, as you might expect of Joni, wondrous.
Joni is an icon who, it appears from reports, may stop recording (is she disenchanted?). I suggest that other artists would still learn a great deal from Joni and I hope she continues to grace our CD players with new material for many more years to come.
on 7 January 2000
After the double Grammy she received for Turbulent Indigo, Joni Mitchell returns from her artistic sabbatical with even more flair. After Fred Wallecki persuaded her not to give up recording by pushing a VG-8 into her hands, this new guitar has provided her with an even greater musical muse. Starting off with the exuberant 'Harlem In Havana', Joni revisits places she grew up in as a child and writes an untypical sounding song (for her and anyone else!)which kicks the album into a new area and makes sure her audience knows where she is going.
An album full of reminisces, old and new, about family, her new boyfriend, about the music business. Highlights include the deeply heartfelt 'Stay In Touch', 'Love Put's On A New Face' and the evocative 'Man From Mars'. Not shying away from world issues, her 'No Apologies' is hard hitting, while 'Lead Balloon' is pure bite. This album points forward to beyond her upcoming album, 'Both Sides, Now' which is an album of standards recorded with the London Symphony Orchestra.
VINE VOICEon 28 August 2001
We've grown older with Joni Mitchell and some of the songs here reflect the passage of the years. The music is as moving, sharp and intelligent as ever, with wonderful saxophone from the great Wayne Shorter and insistent drumming from Brian Blade (I see Joni returns the compliment by singing on Brian's Perceptual Album). Joni has always been a great jazz singer and she sounds specially fine with jazz players (check her Summertime on Herbie Hancock's Gershwin's World). Nice length too. Just becuase a CD can hold 60 minutes of music doesn't always mean it should be filled.
on 26 October 2016
Must admit it's only Joni's recent illness and her (justified) rantings about Dylan's Nobel Prize award that have brought me to explore more of her work. Previously I've only had Blue - since its release - but for some reason never gone deeper even tho that album is easily in my top 10 albums by anyone. Maybe because I thought she couldn't match it. Well here I am, working my way thru the fabulous canon of work and I was wrong in my assumption. Joni's a giant. This album is superb. Love it. If you're a Joni fan you'll know that already. If you're not, maybe start with earlier work and build up to this? But do get it.
on 15 January 2010
If your awareness of Joni Mitchell's musical achievements doesn't extend beyond, say 'Big Yellow Taxi' or 'Both Sides Now' then you really need to come to this album via 'Blue' and 'Court and Spark' and possibly even 'Hissing of Summer Lawns' to really appreciate what is going on here. In 'Taming the Tiger' you find all the wonderful combinations of the ingredients - melodies, harmonies instrumentations and lyrics - to be found in the likes of 'Night Ride Home' and 'Turbulent Indigo' but much more subtly presented almost as a series of personal musings on what has gone before. The first time I listened to it I got the feeling that it was a kind of postscript on the final page of a musical autobiography. It certainly wasn't the last album she made, but it does feel that it may well have been intended as such! Another remarkable achievement from someone who to all intents and purposes is the perfect singer/songwriter.
on 28 December 2014
For any Joni Mitchell fan, who is able to appreciate more than her folk days, I thoroughly recommend this album. For me, it is the best album of the latter part of her career, the best since Don Juan's Reckless Daughter. On TTT, she just oozes clarity, confidence and creative flow - it's beautiful to hear because she sounds like she is in her elements! It took me a long time to fully appreciate this album fully but its truly worth it in the end.
on 9 June 2015
I purchased this as it contains that wonderful 'guitar riff' work from Jon Mitchell. I think she was quite an underrated guitarist and of course has much to say about the world in general. Love it.
on 20 June 2011
One of the best Joni's albums. I've been playing it 1000 times and gave this CD as a present to all of my friends. Love it!
on 16 January 2016
I love Joni. Her songs touched me. But could not get into this album. Only played it couple of times. Can't live without Hejira though!
on 17 December 2014
A very soft cool and collected album of Mrs Mitchell. She's taming the music as well. Beautiful music and lyrichs.