Customer reviews

Chicago: The Musical
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 12 September 2000
Almost as good as being at the real thing, the London cast recording of Chicago does the production justice and more. Never before have I come across a soundtrack that portrays the show so true to life as this. From the sassy Overture which slickly leads into "All That Jazz" to the joyous Entr'Acte where if you turned your volume up to just a little than over acceptable you could almost be swinging with the band! A fantastic cast led by Ute Lemper and Ruthie Henshall as the murderous misfits of Chicago in the 1920's singing their way through brilliant numbers such as "My Own Best Friend" and "Nowadays". If you have an inkling for ragtime jazz this is a must. The lyrics and music by Kander and Ebb (also responsible for "Cabaret") manage to infuse sadness laughter and irony in all the numbers and this revival of the show and subsequent soundtrack has to be one of the best things to hit the West End in a long time. Thoroughly recommended for all musical lovers, I don't think anybody could say there isn't a song they like on there. You won't be dissapointed.
on 17 August 2017
Quick divert great product
on 29 April 2001
Chicago is a great show. Both the story and, more importantly, the music are a triumph. This origional London cast couldn't be better. Listening to this recording you can feel the energy and excitement of the show as if you were really there. Ute Lemper and Ruthie Henshall are perfect as the sexy, sassy Velma and Roxy and the supporting cast including Henry Goodman and Nigel Plainer are perfect in their roles. Not the best recorded soundtrack ever but the most real and alive. Brilliant
on 27 April 2003
I first bought the chicago movie soundtrack in January, and loved it! About 3 week ago, the Original New York Chicago Cast came through the door that I had ordered. I was pleased with it, but, not too pleased. I had recently been to see Chicago The Musical, and wanted the soundtrack. A day visit to London worked out well, as i got this. Ute lemper puts on a terriffic american accent, while Ruthie Henshall is superb! All That Jazz is showtopping, cell block tango is bloodsoaked, razzle dazzle is sparkling and Roxie is oozing with 'her boys'. You may think that 23 tracks is too much, but believe me, it isnt!
on 20 July 2003
I first saw Chicago when it came to my home town on 4th January 2003. I was captivated by the music and the compelling story from start to finish. In the interval I went and bought a copy of the original London cast soundtrack, and it was incredible. It has all the energy and WOOMPH that the show itself has. When you first hear "Go to Hell Kitty" introducing the story, to the infamous last line "No I'm no-one's wife, but oh I love my life and All That Jazz" 23 tracks later.
Each number is incredible, with realistic accents and the music is outstanding. All That Jazz starts with a very sexy tone which is kept throughout the whole disc, including Cell Block Tango which seems to bleed passion from the actresses. Every cast member is fantastic. The essence of the hsow whic his an incredible and unique one, flows as the music plays.
As I said I bought the cd on the 4th of January, it is now the end of July and I still listen to it everyday and I'm not tired of it. Ute Lemper and Ruthie Henshall are brilliant, making you believe everything theyre saying.
If you saw the film and enjoyed which is not hard to do, buy this cd. If you have been to see it in any theatre and enjoyed it, which is even easier to do, buy it. It is a witty, clever merciless piece of culture and should be in every home.
There is something for any taste, from traditional jazz tunes, to upbeat comical songs, my mind is drawn to "We both reached for the gun" and "Mr Cellophane", which just scream talent. Although in truth every track is amazing. Chicago is a unique and very special show and should be enjoyed by all.
A must for any music lover.
on 15 July 2005
If you are a fan of Chicago this is definitely the soundtrack to go for. I have heard the movie soundtrack and the Broadway soundtrack but this one is by far the best. Ruthie Henshall is stunning as Roxie, far more scheming than the movie version (sorry, Renee!) and I love Ute Lemper as Velma. A must for musical fans.
on 4 April 2011
First time I saw Chicago was in Spanish and it was brilliant but I was sure the recording of the music with the original London cast was going to be excellent (and I was not wrong at all!) Apart from the sensational Overture played by the band, this Cd includes masterpieces like "All That Jazz" in which Ute Lemper is superb, the "Cell Block Tango", "Mister Cellophane", by a very good Nigel Planer, and many others which made me enjoy the musical as if I were at the theatre in London. Highly recommendable! Chicago: London Cast
on 29 July 2015
Arrived super quick from Zoverstocks and in perfect condition; well worth more than the £1.50 I paid for it!! Great version of this wonderful show with the incredible Ruthie Henshall; one of the best versions of this soundtrack I have ever heard. Brings back great memories of seeing the show live. A must have!
on 17 April 2013
love this musical and ruthie and ute are just sublime! such a sexy recording - my favourite! triumphs tenfold over the movie soundtrack!
on 20 November 2013
Excellent, although not as I remembered, it helped a lot in learning dance choreography. gritty funny and sad but entertaining!