on 27 May 2013
I had the privilege to see PFat KIngs Hall, Belle Vue in the late 70's. Although I bought the double album vinyl at the same time, I have not had the chance to play it recently. To hear it again was simply music to my ears. The tracks sounded as good as ever, in particular the iconic Do you feel like we do and Lines on my Face. There are many other great tracks such as I'll give you money, I'm gonna go to the sun, Baby I love your way & Show me the way. Even his interpretation of Jumping Jack Flash is refreshing, especially the brilliant guitar solo mid track. For the relatively cheap price I definitely got value for money plus it brought back so many happy memoirs of yesteryear. If you are a PF fan like me this is an absolute must!
on 7 August 2017
American rock music was in a parlous, conservative, bland state by this point in the 70s - and we thought we needed punk as a shot in the arm over here... well, in that last summer before punk, it took a Brit from south London to teach them across the pond a thing or two about melodic but gritty classic rock. This was recorded in America and certainly sounds American, but it also sounds great, with a tight band playing a rich brew of fine tunes. Terrific.
on 21 July 2017
Classic album, and one everyone should have in their collection
on 8 March 2016
Great album in excellent condition
on 21 February 2017
I only give life 8 out of 10! Wonderful to hear it in full after all these years. Made me smile - because it's happy proper music.
on 27 January 2017
Takes me back, what a great period for music, what a brilliant album!👌👌
on 18 July 2017
Classic album, and still sounds fresh. Some all-time rock classics here.
on 9 July 2015
Loved this back in the 70s , and still love it today.
Although it's almost 40 years old , it hasn't dated too badly , and the quality musicianship shines through.
An all time classic in my view.
on 26 August 2014
All right, here comes a bit of weirdness. According to the Autorip album, I should have 14 tracks, but what I actually have is a two-album CD set under the same title, the first having 11 songs; the second, having 8, giving me 19 live Frampton tracks altogether. Two very impressive long tracks, one just under 14 minutes long: Do You Feel Like We Do, and the other is just under 12 minutes: a second version of Do You Feel Like We do - both of these are on the second album. Now I have to check through the whole song listing to see if everything on the original album is there!

It's a beautiful sound on my Wharfedale D9 speakers. My amp can hold four speakers, so when I get the second pair, I know I'll be delighted to hear this album again with the sound upgrade. It's unmistakeably Frampton and an album I'd heard so much about when I was a kid. Now I finally have the pleasure of hearing it for the first time at the age of almost 52 and, so far, I'm loving it! I've always adored Show Me The Way, and that's the one raising the rafters as I type. :)
on 1 June 2003
This 25th anniversary reissue (can it really be that long since I rushed out to buy the double LP shortly after its release??) of one of rock's most famous (and sadly sometimes derided) live albums returns some of the authenticity which was lost from the original album. Three more live tracks from the series of American concerts which gave rise to the ‘Comes alive’ album are added, together with a live performance recorded in an American studio in the same year, 1975. The order of the songs is returned to that of the original shows, the sequence used on the original album having been dictated primarily by the constraints of LP-side timings. The new sequencing of the tracks is fine, and the concert seems to take on a new character as a result, with a more pronounced ‘unplugged’ section in the middle. All the tracks have been remastered and some remixing done, and the recording again becomes a double album, since it no longer fits on to one CD. The packaging is superb, with very high quality archive concert photos, a new essay, and all the song lyrics - not that they exactly qualify as great poetry!
However, despite these changes the resulting album is not perhaps quite as good as it might have been. The remastering is a bit louder than the previous CD remaster, but not significantly different, and whatever remixing has been done is so subtle as to be virtually undetectable. I had hoped that by way of a change the rather intrusive audience noise (especially the scary bang in the middle of ‘Wind of change’) might have been reduced a little in this version, but it remains as loud as before. The live studio take of ‘Day’s dawning’ is an interesting piece of history, but weak compared with the original version which opens the ‘Frampton’ album. The three extra performances from the ‘Comes alive’ concerts are all excellent and fill out the recording to approximately the correct length for Peter’s concerts of the time. However, one can’t help feeling that there must have been other songs in the band’s repertoire which were performed in that summer of ’75, and which could have been included here to fill out the double CD. They needn’t have formed part of the ‘concert proper’, but could have been added as a postscript, like the radio studio cut, in order to give a really comprehensive overview of the band’s work at that time. Instead all we have essentially is the original live album with 3 extra performances – perhaps not enough to be trumpeted as a special anniversary edition.
To sum up though, despite these criticisms, this is an improved version of the previously available album, and it remains a classic which defined the sound of FM rock radio just prior to the ‘punk’ onslaught. Unfairly criticized by some as just a pretty-faced poser, Frampton demonstrates that he can play melodic rock guitar far better than most, as well as putting on an exciting live show which the audience thoroughly enjoys. So if like me you considered ‘Comes alive’ to be an indispensable 70s rock album, you will probably agree that this version is even better than the original. (By way of comparison, I would also recommend the 1999 ‘Live in Detroit’ album by Frampton – be sure to get the extended, double CD version – which shows that though he has lost most of his hair and gained a little weight since the glory days of ‘75, Peter’s guitar playing and live performance appeal remain intact.)
44 Comments| 35 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse