on 10 July 2004
I listen to this about once a year - just so I don't take it for granted. This album means quite a lot to me - whether that's because it's truly great or gives me a nostalgic shiver I can't tell. All I know is it makes me look at the world differently - it's such a good album, Van's voice is amazing - worldly and grizzled - and yet somehow he can sing lyrics about his spiritual take on life without being a pain in the arse.
Van's a funny one - I know about two people who like him as much as I do - but if you get it it's pretty fabulous.
on 21 January 2000
This album shows Van at his best from the blues instrumentals of the opening and closing tracks to the beautiful "Queen of the Slipstream" and "Did ye get healed" with which you're probably already familiar. This CD is a perfect "chill out" recording and sounds like a film soundtrack from start to finish, perfectly written, arranged and produced. You may even recognise "Someone like you" from such films as Meg Ryan's "French Kiss" and the John Candy film "Only the Lonely". Splendid stuff !!
In my book the best chill-out CD ever. Fantastic set of songs which I cant imagine anyone not liking. "Someone Like You" recently featured in Bridget Jones Diary very prominently and good to see some well-merited exposure for one of many beautiful tracks on this superb album.
"Poetic Champions Compose" recorded in 1987 is a truly exceptional Van Morrison album and one of his all-time greats, and might appeal to you even if you're not normally a fan of Van's varied and prolific output. It showcases his virtuoso alto-sax playing like no other album and has a high-quality, relaxed and ambient feel which makes for a sublime soundtrack for almost any occasion: Sunday morning, late evening, lazy afternoons. A mix of instrumental and vocal pieces which work together as a fine collection, almost all these compositions are truly beautiful and linger long in the memory. The album works as a cohesive whole with a thoughtful and introspective character and can be listened to again and again. It's instantly accessible and almost easy-listening whilst at the same time the lyrical songwriting and superb arrangements avoid any association with the derivative or the bland.

If "Tupelo Honey" has a country-music feel, the predominant theme of PCC is that of good quality ambient jazz. Van's insistence on high production values shines through and the result is a rich, polished and professional sound.

PCC has been a personal favourite of mine for more than 20 years and in the 1990s was played almost every day. It never ages, and if you add it to your collection the chances are, like those of us who know and value this musical treasure, you'll listen to it often.
on 30 January 2000
I would love to write something really deep and clever about this, but I can't. The words that could do this album or "the man" justice are not in any vocabulary. The album is quite simply brilliant and you would be mad not to buy it! It is my personal favourite and I play it over and over again. I have never got tired of listening to it and doubt that I ever will. Every track is a real gem; you will not be disappointed! Van Morrison's music should be prescribed as therapy for everyone!
on 3 June 2014
I have lots of Vans cds. In my opinion, apart from the best of's, if you buy just one of his albums this is the very best cd he ever made. Every track is a masterpiece, some will bring tears to your eyes, they do to me. Not one weak track, which is a bit unusual for any artist. You will not be disappointed with this CD, if you are you are nor a Van fan.
on 14 January 2006
This album is a peice of musical history for van not as well known but probably one of his more jazzy albums more than anything. I am a big fan of Van Morrison so I am biased but this album is worth buying for anyone into jazz and into those romantic evenings in with your partner with a glass of wine or just to relax, this album is the soundtrack for such evenings. Buy now and put the feet up.
on 18 May 2013
Van the Man is just my all time hero. I just adore his music. This is a brilliant album, as expected. I am discovering more and more unknown albums through a wonderful professional friend who has a fantastic taste in music, and this album confirms it.

Beautiful
The instrumental Spanish Steps is the languid jazzy introduction to this album of understated songs. The album takes it name from a line in Queen Of The Slipstream, a gentle ballad with a haunting melody. I Forgot That Love Existed is another jazzy number with gorgeous instrumental flourishes, whilst Sometimes I Feel Like A Motherless Child has more of a soul or R&B feel in its yearning vocals and has something of the same effect as Blind Faith’s Can’t Find My Way Home. Celtic Excavation is an ethereal and evocative instrumental with tinkling piano and a lovely lilting flow and Someone Like You is a slow and moving love song. My favourites include the bouncy Alan Watts Blues with its twanging guitar and the rhythmic uptempo Give Me My Rapture, a catchy inspirational song with great organ flourishes. The piece Did Ye Get Healed? has swirling female backing vocals and the album concludes with another jazzy instrumental titled Allow Me. The album is quite cohesive in creating a mood of contented contemplation with Morrison’s characteristic spiritual undertone. It is probably not considered to be amongst his greatest work, but still a classic in my opinion.
on 10 January 2016
In spite of Van's rather frightening facial expression on the cover, this is a wonderful album from the middle of his career, the 1980s, which produced some of his best work as he toned down some of the blue-eyed soul of his early classics, such as Moondance and Street Choir, and added elements of jazz and Irish mysticism to his music. Every track is superb from the opening instrumental Spanish Steps and the album contains some of his all time top-class songs in tracks including The Mystery; the superb Queen of The Slipstream, which equals the standard of his classic mystic reverie, Astral Weeks, and Did Ye Get Healed not to mention his beautiful love song, Someone Like You, a forerunner and superior to Have I Told You Lately? This is classic Van at the peak of his career. Invest and be enchanted!