on 10 April 2018
I recently purchased the 2 CD version of "Still There'll Be More" (another great collection by the way) but was disappointed that Conquistador was a live recording. With that in mind I decided to buy this collection. Although it's reasonably expensive I'm glad it did because not only has it got the studio version of Conquistador it also has the 'B' sides of A Whiter Shade of Pale and Homburg singles plus other good tracks not on the former collection, like She Wandered Through The Garden Fence and Something Following Me. Excellent quality, informative booklet and poster.
on 1 April 2018
A thoroughly interesting and enjoyable album from a band that I have neglected (no excuses) over the years. A wide variety of styles which, to me, show the way “progressive” rock music might have developed in the 1970s. This album certainly rewards repeated listens, and I find the musicianship to be of an excellent standard. Gary Brooker’s vocals remain underrated. I thoroughly recommend this album and look forward to exploring more of their catalogue. I didn’t have any “thin sound” issues.
on 15 October 2017
A great nostalgic collection, though the recordings are a little thin.
on 25 July 2009
I have now bought this album for about the 4th time! I think the sound is the best ever on this release, but can anyone confirm wether the sound has been slightly speeded up for this release or were previous releases too slow? The same applies to "Shine on brightly". Regarding the song "Alpha", I am convinced that the version here is an alternate take to the previous release of this song.
4 people found this helpful
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 20 October 2016
One of their best.
Featuring Robin Trower
on 12 May 2018
Retro and fun to listen too!
on 5 November 2015
Simply the best debut album of all time. No one sounds like them at the time. Dark and powerful. The only fusion of rock, blues and classical elements that gelled properly without ever sounding contrieved.
on 5 August 2015
Great to hear alternative takes on classic tracks. Great double album.
on 18 November 2015
Some great songs on there. Brilliant vocalist.
on 23 May 2012
We often hear a Whiter Shade of Pale playing on the radio - that timeless materpiece which I remember well from when it was first released when I was 10/11 years old. I had forgotten everything else that Procul Harum ever did - it's fantastic (for the most part). Listen to Conquistador and others - I cant stop playing it!