Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 May 2017
Possibly the best Jam album ever!!! In my humble opinion The Jam as a band where never better than when they where tearing it up on stage . Big Bird and Standards are just classic Mod tracks not a bad number any where on the album
on 29 April 2017
cool very good service
on 7 March 2017
Thanks
on 16 July 2017
With the release of a live album from From The Jam (Bruce Foxton and Russell Hastings' reincarnated Jam) later this year it seemed like a good idea to buy the only live album released by the Jam before their breakup in 1982, in fact it was released to coincide with the end of their final tour.

Although I was a huge Jam fan buying their studio albums in vinyl as they were released and again in CD format I didn't actually buy Dig The New Breed when it was released as I am generally not a big fan of live albums. So it is only now 35 years on that my interest in the original band's live album has been reawakened, for comparative purposes with the imminent release from From the Jam.

Dig The New Breed is a fabulous memory jerker reminding me of the many great nights I spent crushed in front of a stage somewhere watching the Jam perform, I'd forgotten how frenetic their performances were. Disappointingly though I was not at any of the gigs featured on the album and that's part of my problem with Dig the New Breed, not that I wasn't at these gigs, but that it’s a career spanning retrospective live album with tracks recorded from '77 to '82 and not a record of one night or one tour and I tend to prefer the latter in my live albums.

So in effect it’s a sort of live Jam greatest hits, but its not; it’s a collection of some hits and other tracks with many of their biggest hits missing. But compiling an album is not yet a perfect science, and I guess many pub-hours and pints have already been whiled away trying to list the Jam's 14 best tracks (I'd start with the whole of Sound Affects as the backbone, drop a couple of tracks and add Going Underground, Down In the Tube Station At Midnight, Eton Rifles and Town Called Malice but that's today's answer, tomorrow's could be different).

So in summary, Dig the New Breed is a reminder of how very good the Jam were live, although it has the usual live album issues of dodgy sound on some tracks, however its not a good introduction to Britain's biggest band of the late '70s/early '80s. But for those of us who were there and are now trying to stop the advances of middle age it's a must have album for the gym.
on 3 July 2015
A good live album!
on 31 May 2004
I remember my Father buying me this on vinyl in 1982, so it will always be special.
One of the main reasons was to have Going Underground on a LP.
The Jam simply generated energy whenever they played live, lots of great feedback from Paul's Rickenbacker, Bruce's always solid Bass covering the lack of another guitar on stage and the other part of the great rythmn section is Rick's understated Drums.
I would even go far to say that the tracklisting on this album which rather than going for all the commercial singles, goes for some of those great album tracks, Sound Affects 'Set the house ablaze' I think is better live than on that great album.
'Standard's' from Modern World is another with the simply lovely crowd participation on 'Ghosts' from The Gift is another gem.
A hidden gem here is the great cover 'Big Bird' which is the only Jam album to find this track on.
Sadly I never got to see the Jam Live, but this goes some way in having a momento of how great they were.
11 Comment| 23 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 July 2015
Now here's an album I only had on cassette.....untill now. Being a collector of everything Weller has done over the years I'm so pleased I purchased this album on CD. 'Ghost' has always haunted me ever since I played it on my little Hitachi Cassette Player back in 1980something. Though it is hard to find on any other album of The Jam. All the live tracks on this album takes you back to an amazing time when beer was cheap and a youth cult was taking a stronghold for the second time. If only Paul, Bruce and Rick would get together and play Brighton Centre again. But then it would never sound as amazing as they do on this album. My favourite on this album have to be Big Bird, Set The House Ablaze and Ghost.