on 29 March 2009
I bought this because it's supposed to be funny, and I enjoy a good laugh, but dear god it's appalling. What planet are these reviewers from? What drugs have they been taking? Anyone who finds this amusing needs a sense of humour overhaul. And as for the people who actually like the music!!!!!

No, I don't mean to be personally abusive, and please don't be upset, but I bought this cd on the strength of these reviews and was totally full of regret.

William Shatner's woeful recitations left me aghast and disappointed. Leonard Nimoy's pitiful attempts at singing songs actually depressed me. I got halfway through and had to take the thing out and throw it away, and I don't just mean in the bin in the kitchen, I mean in the skip at the back of the block of flats over the road because I wanted it as far away from me as possible. A ghastly awful dreadful cd with a really horrible cover and I wish I'd never heard it. It's not funny, it's not clever, it's jaw-droppingly attrocious and if you must listen to it borrow a copy first before you buy it because then you won't suffer the added anguish of knowing you actually spent money on it. And don't buy it new because they'll get royalties from the sale which they don't deserve for inflicting this frightful aural torment on the cd buying public. A load of dispiriting rubbish. And I hate Star Trek too.

If you want a 'so bad it's good' cd of a sixties actor doing an album I would recommend 'When sex leers it's inquisitive head' by the peerless Peter Wyngarde, which knocks spots off this wretched, misconceived, excruciatingly badly performed dollop of old, let's face it, crap.
44 Comments| 3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 12 January 2011
Some reviewers will say this CD is so bad it is good. I'm of the opposite opinion - it is so bad it is a distillation of the really awful. Shatner's Shakespearean recitations (terrible, and set to an inappropriate musical score) are merely bewildering, the track 'How Insensitive' will make you weep as well as nod your head - how insensitive it was of Shatner to record such a dirge - and of course there's the famously infamous rendition of 'Lucy in the Sky with Diethylamide'. However, these disasters pale in comparison to his reproduction of Bob Dylan's 'Mr Tambourine Man': Shatner's desperate grappling with the song can best be described as that of a man who has had ten too many, flailing against the injustices of balance, gravity, and quivering floors.

But don't think for a second I'm going to let Nimoy off the hook (whose work fills the bulk of this CD). Okay, his voice isn't too bad, but the sandal-wearing subject matter is utterly dire. You may have thought 'If I had A Hammer' was cheesy, but it ain't when compared to the likes of 'If I were a carpenter' - which opens with the classic lines ' ... And you were a lady, Would you still marry me, would you have my baby'. I needn't go into the banal 'I'd love making love to you' need I, or 'The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins'? I mean, where are the spiders? Finally, there are Nimoy's strange spoken tracks: the first is `Highly illogical', a mildly satirical critique of human behaviour (such as man's desire to earn as much money as possible - even though you can't take it with you when you're dead). The second, `Spock Thoughts', is a collection of Nimoy's thoughts on how best to live your life - with such pithy comments as 'Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence'; 'If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons'; and 'Keep interested in your own career, however humble, it is a real possession'. Whilst there's some self-evidently good advice to be had here, it's a bit rich coming from a man who demanded $1 million to appear in a cameo role in a couple of ST TNG episodes.

I have to say the one thing I do like about this CD is in fact ... it's genuinely funny packaging, with the two stars on the cover in suitably madcap poses.

So, if you're thinking about acquiring this album, may I caution you: the majority of the positive reviews on Amazon here are of the aforementioned `It's so bad it's good' variety. If instead you happen to think bad is bad, don't touch this CD with a bargepole. Fortunately I got it as one half of a Christmas present (thankfully, the other, greater half was the complete box set of the Fast Show).
on 17 October 2012
I bought this album because I'd seen modern young comedians spoofing Shatner's "Mr Tambourine Man" and Nimoy's "Bilbo Baggings". I wanted to own a copy of this laughable nonsense to have fun with at parties, so to see a CD with both men combined seemed like a very cheap option to buying two separate albums.
But- this CD was not the laugh I expected! Yes, the songs that modern comedians laugh at are on here, but in context they are not funny!

This CD forcefully transports us back to 1960's America, when backing singers sounded like Hawaiian Mermaids and it was cool to speak every song, not sing, as it gave emphasis and gravitas. A naive time, before man left burger wrappers on the moon, a time when a song could be science-fiction & poetry. A pre-feminist & pre-politically correct time when a man could express ideas and emotion without ridicule. A time when we listened to the meaning of a song, because it had one!
I don't know what makes me cry most; the sentimental integrity & hope behind the writing or the philosophical impact of the lyrics or the fact that lyrical integrity with melodic manipulation are extinct now. Listening to this vibrant, hopeful, alive CD in today's climate of meaningless songs sung emotively, is difficult to equate and makes me feel emotional. This CD is the opposite of 2010's music- it is meaningful ideas sung with no emotion, unlike today's music of zero meaningful ideas sung with maximum emotion. (crucial to understand to enjoy this CD).

There are a couple of sci-fi philosophical Nimoy songs that provoke me (tears) every time, like a good Rod Serling Philosophical journey; and there are a couple of Shatner songs that transport me back to school Shakespeare field trips & exams, but as if I'd understood at the time!
These days, I look forward to listening to this CD, because I enjoy hearing the moment in time of overemphasised words of two virile, intelligent, healthy men who believed what they were saying- they wanted to make a difference. Nimoy & Shatner are like; activist Uncles or wise Grandpas or Hopeful fathers. They recorded these songs before I was born - yet the meaning resonates a Century later!

If you can relate to what I am saying, then you will be so relieved to buy & own this CD :)
I do not know if my opinions are biased because I am a Trekie, but I do know that I would never have bought this album if I wasn't. If I hadn't bought this album I would have missed out on the only example, so far, this 21st Century of what happened when 20th Century science Philosophy met Sci-fi met 1550's philosophy in the 1960's and added music! (in case you missed the treble-entendres) Yes, there is humour in this CD too :) Unique! Enjoy owning this gem :)
VINE VOICEon 5 September 2012
So bad it's good. Really. Just keep telling yourself that as STAR TREK's WILLIAM SHATNER and LEONARD NIMOY (photon) torpedo their way through some truly incredible songs, including poems and Shakespearean dialogue. Both actors released albums in the late Sixties and early Seventies to capitalise on their onscreen personas and this is a 24 nugget joint compilation of their 'finest' moments. Nimoy, the guy with the ears, is clearly also the guy with the voice. It's not a thing of great beauty, but he can at least hold a few on-pitch notes together (the poptastically bizarre BALLAD OF BILBO BAGGINS, however, does seem a bit of a stretch, even for a Vulcan's vocal chords). Shatner, on the other hand, 'performs' his songs in a manner that suggests murder has always been legal and is likewise something to celebrate. Over and over again. There's a certain something about his delivery of LUCY IN THE SKY WITH DIAMONDS and IT WAS A VERY GOOD YEAR that does actually make you feel we're on an extended 'trip' through space - but, sadly, without the required spacesuit. And Nimoy's version of EVERYBODY'S TALKIN' only confirms (or compounds) this arguable felony. His A VISIT TO A SAD PLANET - narrated in Spock's deadpan logical tones - is hilarious, containing as it does one of the least surprising surprise endings EVER recorded; someone really must have believed at the time that such a 'reveal' would blow all who heard it away into a higher dimension of elevated thought. Well, if the physical manifestation of that is coughing one's much-needed drink back up and out one's nostrils then yes, result. Hmm, just as well that in space, as the strapline not-quite goes, no-one can hear you choke and splutter.

1. King Henry The Fifth - William Shatner
2. Elegy For The Brave - William Shatner
3. Highly Illogical
4. If I Had A Hammer (The Hammer Song)
5. Mr. Tambourine Man - William Shatner
21. Ballad Of Bilbo Baggins
22. Everybody's Talkin'
23. Both Sides Now
24. Spock Thoughts

SPACED OUT is an artefact of its time by two artefacts of their time, both shoehorned together for our entertainment. Maybe something to look at askance - with the dead weight of modern cynicism and disbelief a mere heartbeat to one side - because, in the final analysis, this coming together of two very different talents is also a heap of FUN.

on 6 February 2017
Wow what to make of this. Is it a serious release, or just a novelty? Probably a bit of both. For those not in the know, Nimoy had a five LP deal with Dot Records back in the late 60's / early 70's and Shatner had the "Transformed Man" LP out in 1968, a release which undoubtedly changed the history of recorded music forever. OK, maybe it didn't, but, well, you know. Whilst the latter album was something of a "concept" album, Nimoy's output was a more straightforward selection of covers.

Granted, it is hard to take this too seriously. Musically it has nothing going for it, just a bunch of session players going through the motions. Nimoy had a lugubrious vocal delivery (think Leonard Cohen) sometimes impossibly out of key; Shatner has his half sung half spoken thing going on. We have the now infamous Shatner covers of Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds and Mr Tambourine Man, whilst Nimoy's take on If I Were A Carpenter has a certain charm. Music To Watch Space Girls By is an instrumental take on the Vegas lounge classic. Shatner's rap on How Insensitve never fails to bring a smile to my face; Nimoy's grim delivery on I'd Love Making Love To You toughens the song out pleasantly. There are an awful lot of other tracks to sit through though.

Worth a punt if you like your music collection to have a bit of variety. It's certainly something different. Shatner has also gathered lots of kudos for his recent albums - it might be better to start with them. Still you pay your money and take your choice.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 15 September 2004
This is the worst recording of anything ever produced and proof that God has forsaken us. Listening to Shatner scream his way through Mr Tambourine man, one dare not imagine what he's going to do if he catches up with him, surely something unspeakable. His now legendary performance of Lucy in the sky with diamonds is just as chilling in the way the song is first throttled and then finally kicked to death. Nimoy does not let us down easily either, The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins is a superb example of cringe at warp factor 10, there is so much terrible stuff on this CD that you cannot imagine its scale of horror. The sheer embarrassment of listening to this CD in public is a spiritually humbling experience. This is one of the funniest CD's you will ever hear, I urge you to defy logic and buy it!
44 Comments| 143 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 12 June 2012
As William Shatner releases his third album in his 40 odd year recording career (Finding Major Tom), I felt it was time to go back to where I first heard this truly original interpretive artist and try to figure out just why his recording career has been so sparse.

This fine CD collects the best bits from Shatner's magnificent opus, Transformed Man, and a few gems from his fellow space traveller Leonard Nimoy.

Let us first dwell on Mr. Spock's offerings before moving on to the incomparable Shatner. Nimoy actually has a good singing voice, a low register somewhat akin to Johnny Cash. It's pleasing on the ear and in the main he sticks to country style songs that suit it well. It's nice music. Occasionally he steps into the realm of the novelty record, with the, um, interesting choice of `The Ballad Of Bilbo Baggins', and plays off his Spock character with `Spock Thoughts' and `Highly Illogical'. These might seem a bit whacky, but compared to Cap'n Kirk's efforts they are restrained and sane...

Listening to this was a revelation for me. I had no idea that William Shatner was such a creative genius. He has taken well known tracks and transformed them forever into unforgettable pieces that will haunt you. People have knocked him for his dramatic readings of the verse rather than singing, but in all honesty this is a result of his recognition that he can't sing, and he tries to do something new and creative with these songs that is within his ability. People mock the delivery, but actually I find it strangely moving, showing an almost inarticulatable depth of passion and feeling. And that's just the songs. The readings from Shakespeare wouldn't find favour with many Shakespeare fans, but for me they go over well trodden old lines and give them a new burst of life by performing them in a style that has never been done before or since.

I am really not sure whether to treat Shatner's efforts as a serious attempt at art, an intentional parody or something unintentionally bad. I personally enjoy it and like to think it is a serious attempt at art that largely works well. It's certainly unique! As to why he hasn't recorded more, it could be that these songs were so great, so full of personality and so perfect a statement that he felt there was no need to record anything further.

This is an interesting collection to say the least. 5 stars for me, as I like both Nimoy's Country songs, and Shatner's more innovative work.
on 12 March 2002
At last the best of two men whos melodic journey took them to the edge of musical experience can be heard side by side. This is a great compilation bringing together the best of Shatner & Nimoy. Nimoys output is more prolific & has greater representation here with most of the tracks being from his albums, covers of such classics as Everybody's Talkin' & If I Had A Hammer. There are also some more pointy-eared songs like the excellent observational Highly Illogical & the spoken-word warning from the stars A Visit to a Sad Planet. But as good as Nimoy is with his brand of sci-fi lounge music it is Shatner whos tunes linger in the minds eye. He only has a small number of songs but they are all horribly beautiful from his lyrical interpretations of Shakespearean verse such as Hamlets soliloquy to his haunting primal scream which ends Mr Tambourine Man. Definitely a record to beam up to your collection!
on 21 October 2001
Star Trek can be taken too seriously - to some, the show is so perfect, even the Borg would take time out to watch it. Although unintentionally, Shatner and Nimoy offer us a good laugh at the Trek's expense. Take "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds" for example - the way Shatner delivers it is so weird and spaced out, it would make Timothy Leary sound like Esther Rantsen! Seriously! As for Nimoy - that's just funny on the whole concept of it... Spock.. er.. singing? A character devoid of emotions and feelings... singing? You just got to laugh, even if you just laugh at his singing voice, it is purely divine comedy!
However, what makes it just that bit funnier, was the fact that the two were, at the time, making something deadly serious! It was just so kitsch and pretentious, it goes way beyond the point of hilarity!
It is customary to include an 'if you like this' section, but things like this are unique. However, if you like jokes at the expense of mediocrity and pretentiousness, hunt down a copy of "Neil's Heavy Concept Album" (Nigel Planer's character in The Young Ones) - it will also have you in stitches!
on 23 March 2001
This compilation of songs by William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy leaves me absolutely stunned. Shatners rendition of Mr Tambourine man gave me goosebumps. The maturity of this album, the emotion, and their unique approach to music is not to be missed!!!