on 25 October 2017
Cracking
on 1 October 2017
Floor filler.
on 28 November 2014
The wife and I like to put this on and dance around in the living room - with the curtains drawn of course. A very good selection of tunes but Cooler Shakers is even better.
on 6 January 2004
I bought this before I started dabbling in the Northern Soul scene (I'd heard of The Wigan Casino but that was the extent of my knowledge of Northern) - always liked beat driven soul (a la Freda Payne's "Band of Gold") - how could you go wrong with a CD with "Floorstompers" in the title? Quite easily as it happens. Gave this album periodic listens but it certainly didn't live up to my expectations of floorstomping soul. After getting into the scene more and attending Northern nights and more importantly having the odd dance, my whole perspective changed - I now get great enjoyment from this CD and appreciate tracks that before I wouldn't have listened to.
If you're into the Northern scene this is a great budget buy, if you're looking for floorstomping soul try elsewhere.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 26 October 2016
A twenty track review of the RCA vaults largely ignores the label's major contributions to the Northern Soul genre and instead largely concentrates on rarities, which is clearly indicated on the label. Therefore if you are looking for the really big success stories RCA released in this style you have to make do with just four - Blowing Up My Mind by The Exciters, Honest To Goodness by Herb Ward, I Can't Change by Lorraine Chandler and Since I Found My Baby by The Metros. Two further Northern Soul classics, Don't Pity Me and I Need Your Love are handled by Sue Lynne and The Dynamics respectively and not in their better known forms by Joanne Summers and The Chaumonts. Seven RCA classics listed in Kev Roberts' definitive Northern Soul 500 are missed, clearly indicating the intention of this compilation is to introduce deeper catalogue tracks, and that it certainly does. The Cavaliers' Hold On To My Baby offers a rousing start to the album, with 19 of these tracks in that classic mid 60's sound, with just Cuz It's You Girl by James Walsh Gypsy Band in the 70's Modern Soul style. The real finds of this collection for me as someone just beginning to explore deeper catalogue tracks are Rose Valentine's I've Gotta Know Right Now and Sonny Till's Tears and Misery, but for anyone looking past the more obvious selections on many commonly available sets this is a good purchase - and at just 95p from Music Magpie an absolute steal.
on 15 September 2003
Was listening to this on the way to work and it put a smile on my face..loads of classic stompers tucked away in here especially gems like the Cavaliers "hold to my baby" and Don Rays "born a loser" and very good value, better than some of the more expensive compilations. top stuff if your into your Northern or just starting to get into it.
on 10 May 2015
quick delivery, item as described, thanks, recommend seller 100%
on 4 June 2013
Not quite as good as I thought it would be !
Lots of enjoyable music and these tracks brought
back many good memories of days gone bye.
Still a good album for those New to Northern Soul !
on 12 December 2001
Concentrates on tracks predominantly from the mid 60's with a couple of inclusions from the 70's.
This album is about the stompers. Northern Soul covers a wide spectrum of music but none is so uplifting as this. You can't fail to grin and want to dance all night! Personal faves include Honest To Goodness - Herb Ward, Since I Found My Baby - The Metros, Moonlight,Music And You, - Laura Green and Could It Be You? - Sharon Scott. To me these track epitomise what stompers are all about.Big productions and big fun. So get your tank top on, throw your talc down and get dancing!!
on 25 October 2014
Especially interesting after watching the BBC4 program, so very happy with it when it arrived