Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 May 2006
It must have been 1969 or 70, my first ever rock concert - and what a treat. Steamhammer were one of those seminal creative bands like Caravan that helped define British rock music. This, their first album, sees Steamhammer still emerging from the ubiquitous blues scene of John Mayall and co. to embrace the unfettered experimentation of the late sixties without sacrificing melody and warmth - a rare combination indeed. The fuzzy electric rock sound blends well with the occasionally rough recording quality of the era. The songs blended well with my head at the time, as I recall. From the dreamy opening chords over trickling Water, through the slow blue feel of Lost You Too, hustling Down the Highway, the disturbing crash - what you gonna do babe, When All Your Friends Are Gone? Several albums later, a reformed lineup would later fail to recapture the magic, at least not for me. Kieran White's solo acoustic album Open Door eventually came closest - spiritually if not musically. The trio of early albums - this one (also sold as "Reflections"), Mk II and the live Mountains are a fitting memento of a classic band.
on 29 April 2016
Never actually owned the album until now as I borrowed it when I was a lad. Excellent album which I appreciate more now than I did then as my tastes have broadened and I love Blues.
on 4 June 2015
Wonderful reissue again from repertoire top quality pressing
on 11 July 2016