Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£34.99+ £1.26 shipping

on 11 February 2007
This sounds like the Happy Mondays kidnapping The Fall and taking them for a spin in a hijacked Ford Capri around every sink estate in the UK, drinking plastic bottles full of mushroom tea.

It's rather good.
on 28 April 2004
The New Fads (New Fast Automatic Daffodils)
re: 1993's sublime 15track gem 'Body Exit Mind'
What can you say about this album?? At fist glance, a '15-tracker' beg'sthe question : "How many album fillers??"
Even on 1st listen, the answer is obviously "NONE"
From 1:Bong - intruducing the album with a groove you CANNOT sit still to- to 15: (the near-title track) Exit Body, Exit Mind - closing with asoperifically beautiful dreamscape as parenthetic end to the final 'Song'- 14:Music.
In saying 'no album filler' - there is a strength lent tothe fisrt half of the album, which has the all important instantaccessability element, which grabs you and leads you to love the album asa whole.
As far as personal taste goes, this album, I would aim at fans of theold 'Wedding present','Ned's Atomic Dustbin','Stone Roses' indie era. Onlooking through my CD collection for bands to liken to, I failedmiserably, realising the band's unique sound - of fantasticallysturdy,groovey and uncluttered rhythm section (including superb use ofextra percussion) with well-layered distorted and to the point guitar workwith amazing feel in both groovey rhythm, and contrapuntal melodic lines. This canvas is topped of by a half-spoken 'don't give a fornication'attitude, and WONDERFULLY cynical and deeply poetic vocal. though melodic,the point of the voice is lyrical, and especially rhthmic. To summarise -A fantistic blend of simple and VERY effective instrumentation.
Thetracks to attract you immidiately to this album are 3:Stockholm, 1:Bong,4:I Take you to Sleep 2:.... well - I'll end up recommending the entirefirst half of this disc.
Though I cannot liken the New Fads to another band, here are some otherfavourite bands of mine : David Bowie, David Byrne (and Talking Heads),The Coral, Bob Dylan, Eels, Elbow, Nirvana, Hives, Muse, Pearl Jam, R.E.M,Radiohead, Strokes, Violent Femmes, and of course... Nick Cave.
This is New Fads at their Very Best!!!! with lyrics such as "Youincrease my shelf-life. This summer's price is the best one yet. LastWinter I was the new-range in, but fashions change - so rearrange myspace. I'll bring home the bacon for ya. It's not what y'Know, it's who y'Know.... I could get a good job if I tried, but what's the point. Whilebordom add's to deadly sins while bargain bins like these keep comingin... keep coming in... It's not what y' know! "....
"I must be drunk,I feel unsteady, aahh, You must be old, so take it easy, aahh. I must becold, my feet already are. You'll soon be dust - your deeds already are....walk back into it... Stockholm.. ..Wicked.. ..Barely, barely, aaahh -SLUT! I love to feel the food in my gut's 'n' the fat in my vien's - Ilike to feel the food in my guts. You'll soon be dust - your deedsalready are.... Wicked! Wicked..."
Sorry if I get carried away...This is a special album. If you have 'good' music taste... buy it.
"It was the 'good book' - it was clear as mud. Written bold in gold onhuman skin - said "ignorance is bliss" - it was the 'good book' it was -clear as mud - it was the 'good book' it was - ...take your pick."
Seriously.... BUY IT!!!! "....take your pick."
on 27 April 2006
Forget about trying to compare this to anything else from the era, or the 'madchester' scene that was supposedly responsible for this, its all out on its own. Rocks with an irrepresible funkiness and sheer power, I am happy to call this one of the best albums of the 90's without question.

The best thing I can say it about this album is, put it on if you've had a bad day, it'll give you a bit of angry cathartic joy.
on 20 August 2007
This is a great album from a much overlooked band. If you like Happy Mondays/Black Grape etc then you'll like this. In fact, if you ask me this band beat the wotsit out of the Happy Mondays.
This album is worth owning for 'Bong' alone let alone the other tracks. There are a few weaker tracks on there so I knocked a star off but the good tracks are really good.
I don't know what happened to this band but I guess they were not seen to fit into the grunge or Britpop camps so were neglected. I saw them live at the Phoenix Festival in 93 and they were really good. They were infectiously groovy and really tight - the drummer and bongoes player combo has never been more successful if you ask me.
Its a shame that good bands like this dont always get the recognition and some really mediocre bands seem to get a lot of respect for nothing.
on 27 July 2004
This album is simply magnificent. It's a dark funky mix of the Fall, the Mondays and maybe even the Kinks. Driving percussion provides an irresistable groovy base for grooving guitars and angry yet witty lyrics.
This is one of my top ten fave albums, but don't listen to it whilst driving you'll end up in jail for speeding.
on 20 November 2006
Why did noone but me buy this album?

A wonderful, left field classic which took the more accessible elements of the Fall's sound and added decent tunes and hooks-maybe if the Fall had spawned a lovechild with the Mondays and added a bit of New Order it would have sounded like this. As was usual with the New FADs, there was lots of percussion and wonderful basslines, along with harsh, caustic vocals and at times noodling guitars.

Tracks like "It's not what you know" and (my personal favourite) "Bruises" take you to another place, and every time I play this album I'm transported back to the early 90s when it was released.

Beg, steal, download or borrow a copy, but not mine-too precious!!
on 28 April 2008
If you like early 90s indie music and don't have this, you should buy it.
In my opinion this does "you know what" on the Mondays from a great height.
I was lucky enough to see them in 94 and they were great - really tight grooving stuff. The bongoes player really stood out.
Andy Spearpoint comes across likely a sober and angry Mark E Smith, but The Fall never grooved like this.
Worth looking for second hand or on eBay if it isn't on here.
on 9 June 2011
I could fill a book with hearing-instructions of this Album... but I like to take it short this time:
Take the last Piece, the 8 minute long song called " Music " with the Epilogue " Exit Body, Exit Mind ". Close your eyes and think about... This everything could have been sung by Ian Curtis; he shouldn`t had to loose any ability on doing this at the start of the 90`s. But it came wrong...
on 9 February 2015
I bought this LP when it first came out, and I still listen to it regularly 22 years on. In my opinion, it vies--along with U2's Achtung Baby, Morrissey's 'Vauxhall & I' and 'Crazy at the Weekend' by Sunhouse--to be crowned as the best album of the 1990s. Not that anyone listens to me anymore than they listen to Sunhouse, U2, Morrissey or the New Fads.
on 1 May 2015
Oh what an album this is! As others have said, no fillers, fabulous groove, great percussion...simply stunning. Sitting here now listening to it again (as I regularly do) I have just one question: can anyone recommend anything similar to this masterpiece?