on 26 June 2003
This concert is incredibly 24 years old and still sounds fresh and relevant. The recording,at Hammersmith Odeon, is of a whole concert from Numan's first UK tour, following the huge success of Are Friends Electric, Cars and the two albums Replicas and The Pleasure Principle.
It showcases a polished performance by a tight band. The setlist is a comprehensive summary of his career at that point and is also a good historical piece of electronica.
on 4 April 2012
Living Ornaments 79 is Gary Numan's earliest official live recording and despite the fact that it captures him at his most nervous and inexperienced, it remains a first-class record of his first major tour.

For me, this has always been the most essential Numan live album, partly because it was the only Numan UK tour I ever missed (I was 13 at the time and my parents deemed me too young to attend!) and has consequently acquired a mystique that keeps me returning to it more than 30 years later, but mainly because of the sheer quality of the material here.

The setlist is largely comprised of songs from his first three albums, all of which are delivered with panache by the energetic band (Paul, Ced - RIP). Since Numan had only recently been promoted to synth-God, both his guitar-driven early work and the subsequent synth-led material is very well represented on this recording. And very nicely they sit together too.

But the album's finest moment for me is the sequence of `Bombers', (a chillingly creepy version of an early Tubeway Army single), a cover of `On Broadway' (a showcase for keyboardist Billy Currie of Ultravox!) and `Remember I Was Vapour' (the fans' first taste of next year's `Telekon' album), which are all connected by one continuous drum-machine pattern, providing a curiously rickety, off-kilter rythmn across all three songs. Bizarre. Wonderful. Worth the price alone.

Anyone who is interested in Numan's glory days will not be disappointed with this reissue, featuring as it does the entire concert (rather than the selected highlights on the original vinyl release). And if you splash out on sister albums `Living Ornaments 80' and `81' too, then you will have a priceless document of Numan's shows at the height of his mainstream popularity.

Recommended without reserve.
on 2 December 2014
This set is far more rocky than I think Gary is ever really thought to have been, with Rrussell ;-) and Ced working together on tasty power-chords licks and brilliant tricked beats. Best album ever, apart from the original cassette version with a slightly different track listing and order. I am delighted to have rediscovered Gary and smugly reminded of despite having been ostracised as a kid for liking his music, how right I still think I was.
on 18 November 2000
I bought this Lp when it was first released together with living ornaments 1980 back in 1981 as a box set (which I still own)however Ive noticed A few extra tracks on the cd version. this CD is a must buy for all fans of electronic music,from the best in the field.
on 20 July 2016
Brilliant live album from Gary Numan / Tubeway Army, this 2 CD set is awesome and a must for any fan, the sound quality is very good and sounds great on the headphones.
This was a special time for music in the UK, a lot of change was happening and Numan was at the forefront of it with the astonishing singles "Are Friends Electric" and then "Cars", it was those singles that won me over and I've loved this music since then, it never grows old for me, it's very special stuff from an amazingly underrated song writer.
I know he's had his low points (don't we all?) but the albums "Replicas" "The Pleasure Principle" and "Telekon" are the greatest electronic rock albums ever released.
Living Ornaments 79 captures the spirit and vibe of that excitement about this new and different music, get it and immerse yourself in it.
It's so good to see Gary back on form with the LP's since "Sacrifice" too, "Splinter" is excellent!
on 11 December 2013
I'm biased but Numan has given me some fantastic memories by putting this concert on an album. I think this is the best of the 3 Living Ornaments because I was there!! Have got it on vinyl but don't want to ruin that.
on 24 October 2013
Fantastic stuff from Numan.a must even if your a new fan great hearing the older keyboards just remember this is 79.
on 8 September 2011
This is a great album,a reminder of a tour concert that advanced age has robbed me of, a fine set list which due to the strength of the albums they are drawn from could almost be considered a greatest hits package,the power was great and the synth sounds spectacular for the time.a must for numoids,but also anyone who wants to listen to the start of electronic music. all the best. mel walters,
on 14 January 2011
It is my pleasure to review this fabulous live CD. Tubeway Army were riding high on the charts when I left New Zealand for Australia in November 1979. The Replicas album was hugely influential and had been hugely influenced by the greatest of all...DAVID BOWIE.

Such was this obvious influence that folks in New Zealand and Australia often referred to Gary Numan as 'THE NEW BOWIE'.

Anyway, this live account of Gary Numan/Tubeway Army is worthy of purchasing if you are a fan and had been wondering if you should add it to your collection.

I am not preaching to the already converted: Tubeway Army/Numan fans will already have it I am sure.

Numan is precise in delivery and the elated audience confirms the validity of Tubeway Army's 1979 legacy along with Numan's solo career that followed.

ENJOY!