Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 6 January 2002
This compilation offers a excellent combination of hymns and welsh folk songs, with brilliant quality sound. Unlike some other Welsh Male voice CD's the singing is not drowned out by an organ or have an underemphasis on one of the parts. Easily the best Welsh male voice I've bought and it has become a much appreciated present to many relatives.
on 24 June 2017
Very pleased with my purchase great CD.
on 15 November 2016
Given as a present
on 22 February 2009
At last, a CD of Welsh choral music that really delivers. Now, any collection that starts off with `Land of my fathers' and concludes with `Ar Hyd Y Nos' (`All through the night') and Ivor Emanuel soloing in `My little Welsh home' is bound to raise expectations - and mine were not disappointed.

Not that the 25 selections are all Welsh: there are old favourites like Verdi's `Chorus of the Hebrew Slaves' and his `Anvil Chorus', as well as a rich collections of hymns. And not to forget Sibelius' `Finlandia' theme.... and a beautiful, soft rendering of Malotte's `The Lord's Prayer'. (There's also a politically correct `My old Kentucky home' with no `darkies' - they have become `old folks'.... ach ja!)

My only quibble: the overly heavy accompaniment in the selections where the Bedwas, Trethomas and Machin Band performs: surely there's no need to drown out all the highpoints of, for example, `Land of my fathers', in a clash of cymbals?
on 13 December 2011
This is a revised version of Men of Harlech, a CD that I have had for many years.

My favourites are still there. Gone are the title track and God Bless the Prince of Wales and in come several very good new tracks, taking the time of the disc from to 66m 16s to 77m 24s.

One point that the previous reviewers seem not to have noticed is that the track described as Ivor Emanuel singing David of the White Rock is in fact a rather good brass instrumental.

Still a tremendous CD and excellent value.
on 25 November 2011
Having moved away from Wales 30+ years ago, I was moved to tears by some of these tracks. I grew up in South Wales and my eldest brother was a member of 2 choirs (at different times). He sadly isn't with us any more but I greatly enjoyed hearing the music I grew up with and the voice of Ivor Emmanuel evoked memories of my childhood. Played it in the car and sang along. Worth every penny.
on 20 February 2010
I love this CD. I like choirs, and Welsh choirs have a very particular 'sound' which this CD captures perfectly. If you want to try something out, are unsure whether it will be your 'thing' or not, this is the perfect CD to start you off
on 25 October 2012
Item dispatched well within stipulated time;clearly addressed.Wonderful singing of all the old favourites.ONLY criticism (very minor detail) was accompaniment by a brass band on first two items,-would have preferred piano/organ in true Welsh fashion.Also so nice to hear Ivor Emanuel in fine voice.
on 15 May 2012
I bought this CD, hoping to hear Ivor Emmanuel sing "David of the White Rock", a favourite of mine, which was listed as track 18, only to find that it was only an instrumental track.....ok, but not what I really wanted.
on 27 January 2014
Some of this C.D. is excellent, some perhaps not so hot, but, the reproduction of musical clarity leaves a bit to be desired. This is not a C.D. to be played in a car on the move, the sound on the various tracks is sometimes drowned out almost completely, and some are deafening in decibel rating, especially with certain instruments. Not a great deal of bass response either, so it loses points effectively because of extraneous reasons, not the singing, which is lovely....