Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 January 2002
If you like the sound of steel-strung acoustic guitar and/or "folk" music (using the term pretty widely) you should buy this CD.
John Renbourn is one of the truly great British "folk" guitarists, able to play traditional British folk through to acoustic country blues/ragtime. These and other genres are represented here, some solo, some played with Bert Jansch (another incredible British guitar player) and/or other Pentangle members. As this is a compilation album, the price is very low - let's be honest, you've got nothing to lose at this kind of price!
Like me, you may not like every track, but you should find at least several to your liking, as there is a fair range of material. There is a hauntingly beautiful rendition of "Will the circle be unbroken?" sung by Jacqui McShee, and an equally lovely arrangement sung by Renbourn, "Lord Franklin."
The price of the CD, though, is easily justified by one superlative instrumental alone: "The hermit" the style and feel of which are beyond my ability to describe. Buy the album and see if you agree!
on 15 May 2006
This album presents a very well chosen range of John's masterful acoustic guitar. Solo instrumentals,duets and work with his former band Pentangle are included, making it the perfect introduction for those unfamilliar with his songs. Highlights include a beautiful arrangement of the old blues song "can't keep from crying" in a folk style. To call it a best of is somewhat misleading as this artist has many fine pieces in his repetoire that span a range of genres. I see it more as an overview that displays the range of John's talents.

I have played this for many friends and everyone seems to find something they like. So at this price a bargain.
on 26 December 2003
John Renbourn is an important figure in the british folk scene, having played in the folk group Pentangle, before going solo, and doing the occasional work with pentangles other guitarist, Bert Jansch.
It always dissapoints me that, of the two guitarists, it is always Bert Jansch that seems to gain the most praise, being hailed by persons such as Jimmy Page, Bob Dylan and Neil Young, as being a genius.
Whilst Bert Jansch is undoubtably good, john renbourn seems to have been left behind.
This album shows a great variety of Johns style, and also includes a song called 'the hermit', which I beleive to be the most beatiful piece of music i've ever heard.
There are also a number of tunes with Bert (goodbye porkpie hat) and songs with Pentangle.
Consisering the price of this album, this is a bargain that you can't lose out on.
on 4 December 2013
The first time I listened to this CD I was driving. It is very calming and the guitar work is outstanding. I had never heard of John Renbourn before, but I will be looking for more of his music in the future.
on 21 February 2013
I had heard of John Renbourn but had not seriously listened to his music before. My interest in folk music is growing and I thought it would be worth buying the CD to find out more. I have not been disappointed - I play this CD regularly and enjoy the mix of instrumentals and vocal numbers. An excellent buy
on 3 April 2015
I have some of these tracks on other albums but had to buy this compilation to remind myself how John made the acoustic guitar sound so cool. He always had such a fluid style. Sadly his recent death makes this all the more poignant.
on 10 June 2013
Brilliant CD, nothing to fault, a real snip and a bargain. If you don't know John Renbourn that well, and even if you have a good smattering of his other CDs, as I do, this is a no-brainer purchase.
on 11 September 2014
Very Good
on 11 December 2013
What a great musician John Renbourn is - such a fine, fine guitarist & singer. So versatile. A record you`ll want to return to - again & again.
on 25 July 2015
Skin up John, show us what you can do This guy thought Hendrix was a Washing machine..