Customer reviews

on 12 February 2014
I bought this 4 CD set as it is recommended in the Ed Friedland (Bass Builders) 'Reggae Bass' book (which is great fun for a new bass player and really easy to follow). What a find! 27 of the tracks are used in the book so it is great to play along with the real thing, even if the Ska tracks are too fast for me at the moment. The only problem I had was with the packaging, which does not hold the 4 CDs properly so they fall out. As a result of listening to this collection I have since gone on to explore CDs by Gregory Isaacs, Ken Booth, Dennis Brown, the Skatalites, Toots & the Maytals and several other instrumental groups. It is a bit pricey, but worth it.
on 5 February 2017
I learned a great deal about Jamaican music and culture from this collection, finding gems I'd never heard, songs that echoed out of my past, and the original source of many references in music I already enjoyed. This really is the story of Jamaican music, and it's not something anyone should miss out on.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 2 November 2002
I was wondering what box sets were for. It turns out that THIS is what they're for! 95 hit songs from the planet Jamaica, dated from 1958 to 1993, so all the way from Blue Beat to Ska to Rock Steady to Dub and Dancehall and Ragga - I guess it's all reggae but the beats definately move and change with the times, and the great songs continue to pour out of these 4 discs, from Oh Carolina in 1958 (Folkes Brothers) to Oh Carolina in 1993 (Shaggy). Let me namecheck some of my personal favourites - Simmer Down (Wailers), 54-46 That's my Number (Maytals), Police and Thieves (Jr Murvin), Under me Sleng Teng (Wayne Smith) - no, how pointless. Even the obscure ones are good, sometimes great. It's an alternative version of the history of pop and it's just a wonderful collection. Play it loud, you won't annoy the neighbours, they'll just come round to find out what it is so they can buy a copy.