Customer reviews

Seasons
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 May 2009
Magna Carta; a three piece folk band could argueably be described as the british equivalent to Simon and Garfunkel. Their vocals are a joy to behold and the songs on this album provide the perfect platform, making full use of the five octave range of Glen Stuart, plus the more than capable support from the others.
Instrumentally Chris Simpson and Lyell Tranter play acoustic and electric guitar respectively, supported on this album by a host of quality musicians including Rick Wakeman on keyboards.

The title track weighs in at over twenty two minutes, using a mixture of poetry and individual vignettes to transport an imaginary traveller through the four seasons of the year.
The rest of the album is reserved for the more standard three minutish material covering different styles of contemporary folk. These include the mighty 'Ring of stones' which became a staple element of their 'live' act, plus an absolutely beautiful tale of a forlorn 'Scarecrow' left on his own in a field, blubbers beware, while closing with my introduction to and favourite number by the band, 'Airport song' is so atmospheric it has to be heard to be believed.

I hope this review has been of some assistance, unfortunately my command of the English language is not in my opinion of a high enough standard to fully portray the beautiful sounds on offer.
22 Comments| 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 March 2008
It's the poetry really rather than the music. Having said that the music is pleasant and folksy and yes perhaps dated in places. Pure nostalgia bought me back to it and I still love the imagery of the 4 seasons. There is a timeles beauty here, "Frost has rimmed the pools with ice and hung diamonds in the spiders web" as we go from autumn into winter. Romantic old fool that I am, but I found this truly moving at the time of it's release which was remarkable as I always have been something of a metalhead. Any way if you yearn for the halycon days of carefree youth and the endless days of hot summer,or the joy of the first fall of snow. Then yes, put your feet up, give this a spin and return to those days when you just didn't give a damn.
on 14 January 2015
5 star cd great value for money.
on 3 March 2016
A blast from the past
on 5 February 2016
This was a gift and I cannot comment further
on 9 April 2009
This is an absolute classic of an Album in my view. I don't agree with the other review. I think the songs are beautifully crafted. Chris Simpson is an incredibly good songwriter. Top class. Mystery, and Human feeling emanate from his songs. Glenn Stuart had a five octave vocal range. The Album is timeless. Pastoral beauty. A wonderful piece of history, somehow linking old England with the new young people culture of the late sixties and early seventies. The world, and my life would be a much poorer place without this Album.
on 19 July 2013
Having first received this on vinyl as a child and loving it then, I have since bought it on cd several times since (sometimes as gifts)and it remains a favourite of mine to this day with beautiful, sometimes haunting music and poetry, sometimes upbeat and hugely uplifting, and I never tire of listening to it. There is a simplicity of sound which belies the how well written this is. It is not typical of so much that is deemed to be 'current' these days with so much manufactured music being over mixed and over dubbed. Whilst I understand an earlier comment that this may sound a little dated, this does not mean it is inferior or unworthy of being loved and appreciated today and perhaps reminds us of a time when life was a little gentler than it is now. I believe it is a classic in its own right and the added bonus for me is always the beautifully crafted Airport Song. I hope that many others who have not heard this before, add this to their collections and enjoy it as much as I do.
on 19 January 2016
This album is still a firm favorite of mine.
It has some beautiful moments and I'd recommend it to all folk/rock listeners.
It also has some early Rick Wakeman 'session keyboard' input.
I've not managed to see them perform live, I hope I get the chance!
on 16 April 2013
Ordered this on a nostalgic whim! It was recorded in 1970 and was just as I remembered it! Gentle poetic but with innovative details, both in the vocals and instrumentals.
on 27 December 2013
i chose this rating because the quality of the music is superb.
We previously owned the record but no longer have a record player so I was delighted to find it available on cd