Format: Audio CD|Change

The Ink Spots were one of the most popular vocal groups of the forties. There were no record sales charts in Britain back then so I don't know which of their songs were most popular in the UK, but a look at the American charts shows that this collection omits several big hits. Nevertheless, many others are included and all the tracks here are worth hearing, so I don't mind - this is, after all, a budget collection. The sound quality, while not perfect, is fine given the age of the recordings.
Here you will find the original version of Whispering grass, which became a British number one hit in the seventies when covered by TV actors Windsor Davis and Don Estelle. Another song that got a new lease of life via a cover is My prayer, which the Platters had an international hit with in the fifties. Other big American hits for the Ink Spots to be found here include If I didn't care, Bless you, When the swallows come back to Capistrano, Maybe, We three my echo my shadow and me, Do I worry, I don't want to set the world on fire and Don't get around much anymore (a cover of a Duke Ellington song, but the Ink Spots had the biggest hit). Notable omissions include Address unknown, I'll get by as long as I have you, The gypsy, Prisoner of love, To each his own, You were only fooling while I was falling in love and You're breaking my heart.
The Ink Spots also recorded several duets, four of which made the American charts (all top ten or better). Two (Into each life some rain must fall, I'm beginning to see the light) are included but two (Cow cow boogie, I'm making believe) are omitted.
To compensate for the missing major hits, there are plenty of other wonderful songs here, some but not all of which were lesser hits for the Ink Spots. Among the other tracks are Stomping at the Savoy, Christopher Columbus, Java jive and With plenty of money and you.
As an introduction to the music of the Ink Spots, this is fine but committed fans should go for the 4-CD boxed set released by Jasmine.
on 9 December 2002
The Ink Spots, sadly little heard of now, were a marvelous close harmony group in the 1920's. This CD is filled with their best songs, including many featuring Ella Fitzgerald. If you like that era of music you will love this one. As a criticism however, unless my CD was faulty, the transfer (assumedly) form the orriginal recording has been poorly done, and as a result, the quaility is about good enough for backgruond music, but is not realy adequate for anyhing more. However, sadly, I have been unable to find anything better.
on 14 March 2009
An excellent portfolio of Inkspots songs , encompassing most of their hits.
Good quality audio for the recording age.
Highly recommended for the older nostalgic listener.
on 10 December 2012
I'll admit I first heard about this band from the Fallout (game) universe.
But I enjoyed the music so I delved further and found out a bit more about them. So I then decided to buy this album.
The sound quality can be a bit rubbish on some songs and the cover is different to what is advertised but still, it's a good collection of music from nearly 80 years ago!?
on 6 April 2013
Thouroughly enjoyable CD. excellent reproduction of their unique style. Into each life some rain must fall with Ella Fitzgerald was just the icing on the cake. I have listened to this CD over and over again since I purchased it. for fans of 40's music, it's a must for their collection
on 11 January 2011
Loved this compilation of work from a group who never took themselves too seriously.Most tracks contain delightfully ironic spoken refrains, just in case you missed the delectable lyrics the first time around. Enchanting harmonies- guaranteed to brighten up the dreariest of days.
on 3 March 2010
I grew up listening to my mother's Inkspot records and decided I wanted to hear them again. This is a very low price for such an extensive collection of the Inkies' elegant swing. All my favourites are here including Whispering Grass, Stomping at the Savoy. Do I Worry, to name but a few. Tuneful, rhythmic music with intelligent and amusing lyrics that has stood the test of time and will continue to stand. I defy you not to love this.
on 23 September 2010
i have always enjoyed the warm unpretentios inkspots style - melody for its own sake and whispering grass is one of my favourites. the music of that period is simple with no hidden agenda.
on 12 March 2012
This is an excellent and comprehensive collection of the Inkspots' work. Pretty much all the favourites and some very pleasant surprises. Excellent value for the price and delivered with Amazon's usual efficiency.
on 7 March 2012
Bought it for mum and she loves it! Brings all of those memories flooding back from when she was younger. Even I like a few of the songs but love to hear mum singing along, aah!