on 5 June 2001
Hardly anyone in the UK knows about Murray Head, but in France he was a superstar for a period, and it's becuase of albums like this. This went out of print on vinyl for a few years and is finally available again at last.
Essentially, this is a romantic album (I am Yours best e.g.), in the days when writing love songs wasn't just about pop music Top 40 junk. Usually an acoustic guitar floating around, Murray's high octave vocals, along with assorted guests, a nice variety of melodies, harmonies, even a sea shanty ! In truth, there isn't a follow up album to this, and in any case, it's a rather dated sound now. But for modern day lovers of singer songwriters like Dido, David Gray, even Coldplay and REM, this is one to add to the collection.
on 26 March 2003
I first heard this Album on it's release, it was the 'Album of the week' on the Friday Rock show with Tommy Vance. All it took was a spin of 'Boy on the bridge' and the title track 'Say it ain't so' and I was straight to the Record shop the next morning to get buy it..
I have absolutely hammered this album since buying it in the 70s, the sound quality is that of someone frying Bacon..... so I decided to buy the Cd and just hope and pray that it hadn't been Re Mastered, and yeeeeeeeah it's as it should be.
I love this Album for it's mix and styles of music, I mean one minute you're listening to the Rocky 'She's such a drag' and the next you're being serenaded with the Ink Spots classic 'Someones rocking my dreamboat'
As stated in a previous review, he was little known in the UK, the remarks I used to get of my mates were....you've bought an Album by Murray who???????
Fantastic album :-)
on 27 June 2008
The other reviews have suggested how haunting and beautiful these songs are, the first track being a perennial cult classic. But no one has really mentioned the musicianship, and a quick search on the web is bringing up nothing.

So throwing my mind back the two names I can remember were Vicky Brown whose liquid chocolate voice eclipsed Head's own gorgeous tones on the last track. And all the way through the album there are lovely tasty guitar pieces, by - if I remember correctly - Mike Weston.

It's very slickly recorded, and not maybe everybody's taste, but it's not slick and tasteless or slick and lifeless. Just a small group of fine musicians doing a fine job with an almost flawless collection of songs.
on 12 January 2007
I spent a few years listening with friends to copies of this album on cassette, a bit soppy for a teenager, but no-one seemed to have the original LP! During holidays I sometimes searched for this over the years but I was astounded some 25 years later to find it on Amazon and be taken again by the beauty of this tender, mostly acoustic album.. now experienced on the DLR on my IPod, adjacent to Garbage and Catatonia. Lovely accoustic guitar and vocals. I'm a big fan of double bass. Chill.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 3 July 2015
I confess, my very limited knowledge of Murray Head was originally no more than that of his good performance in the hit 1972 film 'Sunday Bloody Sunday', in which he starred as a bi-sexual artist, and a role in one episode of TV's 'Return of the Saint'. I don't think I've seen any of his other work as an actor, and certainly never knew he was a singer as well. When I came across this album, I recognised the name, and my curiosity led to me giving 'Say It Ain't So' a go, and I'm very glad that I did.

With the exception of just one ('Someone's Rocking My DreamBoat' by The Ink Spots, which is especially nice), Murray Head wrote all of these tracks, and as well as being a fine songwriter, he also possesses a very distinctive voice. The album was released in 1975, and is mostly acoustic, laid-back soft-rock music that was very contemporary for the time. As soon as I heard the very few seconds of the opening track 'Say It Ain't So, Joe', written about fallen hero's, I smiled to my myself, as I knew I'd made a wise impulse buy. The next track, the excellent 'Boy On The Bridge' only confirmed this further.

With lovely vocals, haunting lyrics and beautiful melodies, 'Say It Ain't So' really impressed me, Murray Head is a true artist, every inch, and should be a better-known name.
on 24 November 2005
Since my fiance introduced me to this album, she's become my wife and we played one track from this album at our wedding! It's a fantastic album full of real music with an amazing variety of sounds. If you have an ear for music, you will love this album. Like all great music it takes a while to grow on you, but gets better and better with each listen. I can't believe Murray Head aren't multi-millionaires with daily radio coverage! What a find. Don't miss out the chance to hear it.
on 8 February 2008
Boy - what a day - to rediscover this album on Amazon. I first heard it in France in 1982 and fell in love with Murray's voice, the acoustic guitar, in fact everything - I also fell in love with the french boy who introduced me to it (Rat Pouce where are you?). Anyway the anticipation of hearing the title track (and all the others)again after nearly 25 years is agony and I can't wait for my copy to arrive.
on 20 June 2013
Say it ain't so is an absolute classic and for the meaning of the song (a very important and apposite message for today) go to this piece written by Murray Head himself - http://www.murrayhead.org/Forum/explsias.jpg
on 9 June 2013
Alas, I won't see youth again. But listening to Murray Head takes me straight back to days and nights of parties, Surfing in the very early exciting edgy days of the sport, all night parties on the beach. The smell of Galloise itermingled with bonfire smoke, happy, happy days - alas no more - but please "say it aint so joe, please say it aint so".
on 28 August 2009
I saw Murray Head at leeds Grand in the mid 1970's supporting Elton Johns Louder than Concorde tour ... how come i have never bought this CD .. i have now and well worth it ... Say it aint so, what a classic track for me anyway ... great value for money and great music