Format: Audio CD|Change

The Casuals, although British, spent several years honing their skills in mainland Europe, particularly Italy, where they based themselves for a while before they returned to Britain in 1967. In 1968, they were successful in Opportunity knocks, a TV talent series. Mary Hopkin was another singer that became famous that year via the same series. Following their success on Opportunity knocks, the Casuals had their first and only major hit, Jesamine, which reached number two on the UK charts, second only to Those were the days, a song performed by Mary Hopkin.

After Jesamine, the Casuals had a minor hit with Toy and their album sold well but that was the end of their UK success. Roy Wood (famous with the Move for Flowers on the rain and Blackberry way, and with Wizzard for I wish it could be Christmas everyday) provided them with a song, Caroline, but even that didn't get the Casuals back in the UK charts.

Jesamine, Toy and Caroline are all here, along with several other originals and a few covers - these include Love me tonight (Tom Jones) and Never my love (Association). The musical backing is best described as orchestral rock.

The Casuals are one of those might-have-been groups with just one big hit to their credit. I sense that they ought to have had more, but they never found or wrote another song as good as Jesamine. If you just want Jesamine, you can find it on any number of various artist compilations, as you will find if you do a song search. The unusual name means all the hits you get are for this song and I am not aware of any cover versions. If, like me, you want to explore further, this is for you.
66 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 June 2011
Another underrated band to add to a long list. Why? That's hard to say. Without any sensible explanation, some bands get lucky, others don't. In fact, this is a good group that deserves your attention. You can buy the item without hesitation. You won't regret it.
on 5 March 2012
excellent item, superb qaulity, had the vinyl record years ago have been waiting for these, great sound from an even better era
on 18 May 2016
I am shocked to find just how good the Casuals were, I always thought of them as one major hit wonders, but they were so underated as this Cd shows. I am so glad that I chose to add this to my collection.
on 18 July 2013
Mum was delighted to receive this CD, she especially loves the song 'Jesamine',
she listens to it very often.Thank you for such a great CD.
on 4 June 2014
A long forgotten group. Great to hear them again some songs I remembered some were new to me. Great style recommend to all sixties fans
on 9 August 2012
Arrived in time, another great CD, especially Jesamine, which is why I bought the CD, brings back so many great memories. Brilliant.

Petere Fallon.
on 27 January 2016
There’s a bit more to the Casuals than ‘When Jesamine Goes’. I particularly liked ‘Never My Love’,
‘My Name Is Love’, ‘Adios Amor‘ and ‘Naughty Boy’.
on 19 May 2016
exactly what it says on the label, a collection of their hits but also some lesser known tracks, all original recordings
on 14 January 2016
Brings back good memories of my student days.