Customer reviews

on 9 January 2015
Sing to God and all Cardiacs albums are amazing. But really the prices are a joke. I advise anyone to buy Cardiacs albums from the Cardiacs official website Alphabet Business Concern where the prices are fair. Sing to God is 15quid and all the others are 12quid. Its ridiculous the amount of money Amazon are asking for
on 29 January 2011
Apparently Cardiacs are a kind of "marmite" band. Either you love or hate them, which confuses me somewhat as i cannot for the life of me find anything to dislike, let alone hate.

I have stumbled upon Cardiacs late on, so i was never there during gigs, sadly, and didn't buy the albums when they were available other than collectors items ect...

This album has changed me. It's almost as if, hearing Cardiacs, has killed all other music stone dead for me at the moment :S I cannot get enough :)

There are a lot of tracks on this double album, of course. Many difficult to listen to for first timers i think, but every one has a little bit ( or more ) in that first instance that makes you go warm inside and smile at how cool/emotional/clever it is. Then you come back to it a 2nd time, understand a little bit more ( Cardiacs tunes are notoriously complex a lot of the time ), and then you come back a 3rd, a 4th ad infinitum. The music on show here is simply stunning, mayeb literally in some places, it becomes overwhelming :)

There is SO MUCH here. It has been said that there are sometimes enough ideas in a Cardiacs song to eclipse that of other's entire careers and i would be inclined to agree :) I know this review sounds a bit fawning, but music (hopefully) brings out so many emotions in us all and this album has had me fall in love with this music.

This album is incredible, i promise. If you are crazy enough to spend the sort of money that people are usually asking for this then please do so. If not, then youtube the album and think a bit too long and hard about parting with the ridiculous sums of cash for this album lol :)

On a related note, look also for "A Little Man and House and The Whole World Window " as an earlier but equally sublime Cardiacs album...

Tracks of specific beauty here :

Fairy Mary Mag ( spine tingling )
Dirty Boy ( absolutely overwhelming and epic )
Odd Even ( what a melody! )
Bell Clinks ( you can't keep up ! )
Nurses Whispering Verses ( a Cardiacs oldie, recharged and as haunting as ever )

I have listed above, some of my personal stand-out favourites, but honestly, they are ALL as beautiful as the other on this album. Words cannot do it justice.

Please find out about this album and please find out more about Cardiacs !

Greatest Band Ever :)
33 Comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 21 September 2000
you either love or hate them, but the little red-faced psycotic schoolboys that are the cardiacs have kept true to form on this double offering. the platter offers all that the cardiacs have to give, from wonderfully jarring discordia to sublime poppiness, sometimes in the same song. tims stream of subconcious lyrics pepper the album like so many slippery eels, just eluding you but leaving traces of goo in your ears. there are many high points in this album, including a reworking of the classic 'nurses whispering verses', but the new tracks are instant cardiac classics. if you like them you'll love it, if you dont like them you'll screw up your face like when your mum made you eat cabbage.
on 11 May 2013
When I first bought this (at it's very modest original retail price) I thought I had made a mistake. Don't get me wrong, I was introduced to "Cardiacs" years ago by a friend ("Maresnest" album and have been lucky enough to see them live) but on first listening to "Sing to God" it sounded so inaccessible that I returned to the cosy comfort of "Marenest" to get my bearings.
I tried again and, like drinking Guinness, I slowly understood what I was tasting. This is now an album that I can quite happily stick in the player while I'm working and play back to back without the slightest hint of boredom and I secretly think that Tim and the boys must have engineered some addictive subliminal audio pattern into the mix because once you're hooked you're snared...

Get this anyway you can and play it long and LOUD.

Rik James
on 3 September 2013
Having "discovered" Cardiacs only about 5 months ago, I have since then bought 6 of their albums, and I am well and truly hooked.
For me, this is the best, narrowly beating Little Man...
Part 2 is almost perfect; the opener, Dirty Boy, being one of the most powerful pieces of music I could possibly imagine, and regularly moves me to tears.
Other highlights are Dog-like Sparky, Fiery Gunhand, Nurses whispering Verses, Flap off you beak, and closer Foundling, a real grower.
Hugely expensive on Amazon, and sp**ify just don't offer ANY Cardiacs, but all are readily available from the well known "fruity" download site.
This is not easy listening, but persist, and you will be rewarded a thousand times over... Cardiacs have changed my life forever.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 September 2014
I once read another fans review of this record and it just said in an almost questioning way, "I think I'm actually falling in love with this album"

Quite simply the greatest recording in the history of music. Nothing comes close.
on 30 November 2009
This has to be one if not my favorite album of all time. There is so much that's so amazing that I can't find the words that will do it justice. All these years later, it's timeless, it's just wonderfull. Full stop.
on 14 July 2015
Amazing. Now go straight to the Cardiacs on-line shop and buy it & other albums for much, much less money.
on 3 August 2006
If you do not own this album, buy it. You would be a true fool not to.

No words can sum up what this album is like. This album is above words.

That is all.