Format: Audio CD|Change

on 31 January 2004
Boy,its been a while since i had listened to this album, used to have it on vinyl, it was played to death! years passed and i guess if forgot...then i heard 'Brother Wolf Sister Moon' being played at a friends house one night... man, that was my favourite song... anyhoo, have now got this on cd and i would highly, highly recommend it to anyone who is in their 30's and can remember those good old day of The Cult, Bauhaus, Cure, Siouxsie... Its a timeless, ageless album which i rate more highly than any of The Cult's other albums. Its got soul and more importantly, its beautiful. Get it.
on 3 May 2002
Aaah! My 1985 vinyl copy of this excellent album came to me from Celeste - a goth princess I spent too much time chasing after.
But that's all past and there are better memories now in 'Love' than there were. From the opening geetar sqeals of 'Nirvana' right through 'She Sells Sanctuary' and onward, this album is a pearl. It wasn't particularly goth-y (I have to agree witht he reviewer who likened Cult to the Sisters for crypto-gothdom) but it stands proudly with the other greats of the time as an expression of what could be.
Buy it! You'll like it!
on 26 November 2003
This still sounds as fresh today as it did in 1985. This is one of the key albums of the 80's which broke down the barriers and proved that guitars aren't all bad. Contains the classic singles She Sells Sanctuary, Revolution and Rain, but the rest shouldn't be overlooked either. Phoenix is pure psychdelia with Wah-Wah's a plenty and Brother Wolf is chocca full of emotion. Not a bad song on it.A serious step on from predecessor Dreamtime (Billy Duffy had learnt how to play the twiddly bits!, Ian's voice was much richer) and a stepping stone onto the harder rock of Electric.
on 4 June 2012
This is the first album I bought by The Cult and I would say it was a splended introduction to their music. Some reviews mention that the album is only worth it for tracks such as Rain and She Sells Sanctuary and while they are solid, listenable tracks, anyone who neglects the other material is seriously missing out. The key tracks for me were the gothic ballad, Black Angel, an epic way to end the album, Neon Glitter, an underrated diamond of a song, as was Nirvana. The only song I wasn't much taken with, was the title track Love. I will listen to it if I listen to the album as a whole, but it's not a track I go back to often. Still, the track isn't bad enough to downgrade this album from the five stars it rightly deserves!
on 18 October 2002
This work from 1985 still sounds fresh. Übergoths The Cult created some great moments on Love, which is characterised mostly by an intricate "wall of guitar" sound by Billy Duffy.
Highlights for me are "The Phoenix", the successful single "She Sells Sanctuary" and best of all, the anthemic title track. "Love, Obviously, Very Soon, Everybody". Whatever that means.
Fine production, great drum sound and best of all the guitar work. Ian Astbury's vocals cut through all the noise.
on 8 April 2008
This album from 1985 bridges the gap between the earlier and more gothic punk feeling 'Dreamtime' (1984) album, and the more rock-oriented, paired back 'Electric'(1987). Love keeps some of the gothic feel of the earlier album, while this brooding atmosphere is turned up a notch to 1970's style psychedelia. This album has a very consistent tone and feel to it at moves between brooding downbeat balads "brother wolf, sister moon, judith, hollow man, black angel" and more upbeat numbers "nirvana, she sells sanctuary, the phoenix, big neon glitter" and more upbeat balad numbers "revolution, rain".

For those of you who found Ian Astbury's voice gets a little jarring on 'Electric', this is a more tuneful / soulful album, without the drivelly sound of later albums such as 'Ceremony'. Also Billy Duffy is in fine form. While he will never be hailed as one of the great electric guitarists, here he is in very good touch with the songs and the guitar and voice complement each other perfectly.
on 3 December 2010
A school friend taped this album for me on the other side of Bryan Adams 'Reckless' album & it was one of the best 'by chance' finds i ever made. I was aware of The Cult through 'She Sells Sanctuary' & 'Rain' but didn't consider myself a fan until i heard 'Love'. I was totally blown away by the power of tracks like 'Nirvana', 'Phoenix' and the aforementioned 'Sanctuary' and moved by the ballads: 'Love', 'Brother Wolf, Sister Moon' and the haunting 'Black Angel' which still sends a shiver down my spine to this day. Although the band made many great albums before & after this in my opinion none of them come close to matching 'Love' for the sheer quality of songs on offer: great music, no filler. Any serious music fan should have this in their collection. It is also worth seeking out the extended edition for bonus gems like 'The Snake', 'Judith' and 'All Souls Avenue'.
on 4 July 2011
Bought this album when it first came out and still never get tired of listening to it.One of my top 10 favourite albums of all time,every single track is a classic.I agree with the other reviewers about the lyrics being a bit dodgy but it's never bothered me.To anyone who hasn't heard this,give it a listen,you won't be disappointed.
on 8 July 2008
Big rock, rock with a hippy, trippy, goth, blues feel,you got it!
My best tracks
Love.
awesome guitar, you got love those drums, more 'Dreamtime'

Phoenix.
suberb guitar, sweet wah solo, The pounding bass, Ashbury minimal but effective vocals.

Of course 'She sells sanctuary', the ultimate Goth rock. Great chorus.

Judith.
very lazy blues trippy rock.

The original album didn't have 'little face' on it, and think it was better for it.
There are far better b- sides to be found in that era
Sunrise
Etc
Great album
There best
But check out there 1st album too'Dreamtime'.
on 16 February 2011
This album is a must own, it is a classic and is one of my fave albums of all time, it has everything, including Billy Duffy on great guitar form.

This album is well written and well executed and stands the test of time, when I first purchased this on tape then on LP then on CD and soon to be on remastered CD I could not stop listening to it. I know every track and could even take it on a desert island with me !!!

Buy this album...