• L

Great choice Thank you
on 6 December 2014
Memories
on 4 June 2015
great cd from the past Ilike all steve hillages works I ALWAYS FEEL NICE AND CHILLED WHENEVER I HEAR HIS ALBUMS GOOD COLLEGE MUSIC THE CD WAS IN GREAT CONDITION MANY THANKS
on 14 June 2000
This was the first album I ever bought by Steve Hillage. At the time, I knew of him through his work with Mike Oldfield, but wanted to see what he was like solo. When I picked the LP up, a friend of mine said I'd picked a good one - and he wasn't kidding either!
Throughout the album, you're treated to a series of blistering guitar work and sequenced synthesizers, fused together harmoniously to make an enjoyable listening experience - Hillage even goes as far as fusing in indian folk music on the hummable "Om Nama Shivaya". Highlights? Well, I'd have to pick "Hurdy Gurdy Man" for it's sound, and "Lunar Musick Suite" for its inventiveness. On the whole, you can't go far wrong with "L". It owes a lot to the flawless musicianship of Todd Rundgren's Utopia (although Rundgren acts only as producer).
Scroll up and push the "buy" button - you won't regret it.
on 16 November 2003
More accessible than Fish Rising... possibly overall a better album anyway. Catchy hippie lyrics (that IS a good thing), instantly memorable riffs, intense jams. It's all here but with just a dash more pop than Fish Rising. I presume it's Miquette providing the rather lovely "ethnic" vocals on Om Nama Shivaya, accompanied by possibly the best riff on the album. The Lunar Musick Suite... I wasn't too impressed with at first (I was still smitten by those smashing jams on Fish Rising), but it turns out it is just as superb as those. Three main sections, the first two with yet more excellent riffs, the latter a more stately astral jam that slowly brings the track to a close... then a George Harrison cover!?
Love it. Love it all to bits. Happy, fun, classic prog/pop-rock from 1976. Essential, I say!
on 4 November 2004
I started my Steve Hillage education with 'Fish Rising' and 'Motivation Radio' in around 1985 and began snapping up all the other albums over the following years.
'L' for me is a mixed bag, but contains some truly seminal moments. More funky and less 'proto acid trippy' than previous albums, and with a noticably heavier drum treatment, this album rocks with a vibe just as positive. 'L' is a pleasure to listen to. The cover of George Harrison''s 'Its all too much' is sublime, and even though the album has fewer 'guitar hero' moments of genius than FR or MR (or Green for that matter), the solo on the end of 'Its all too much' satisfies the need. It is a great track and is gauranteed to cheer you up. Not my favourite SH album, but still magnificent. If you only buy one SH album, buy 'Motivation Radio' if you only buy two, buy 'Fish Rising as well, and if you buy three.....get 'Green', but if you buy 4 then i would definitely get this one!!!!!!!!
33 Comments| 6 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 22 May 2007
This album does sums up Steve Hillage as a far eastern inspired hippy. Which isn't bad, when you are in the eastern mystic mood. But when you are not, then I would not recommend that you play it or it will grate on your nerves. Last night I played it, 1. because I wanted to, 2.because I had not heard it for a long time. Result bliss.