Customer reviews

Elegantly Wasted
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 28 September 2017
A top quality album, a more laidback affair than their other 90s output but with a more assured touch too (produced by Andrew Farriss).
on 1 May 2017
Unfortunately, the whole order I only got one disk ( INXS ELegantly wasted). The other three still did not come.
on 28 July 2011
I disagree with Simony who slates this album and has given it a measly 1 star. I've been an INXS fan since the 80's but only just got this album, mainly because in the 90's I was living in America and was getting into more American bands so I kind of lost touch a bit with INXS's music. I have most of the other INXS albums though, so I was very curious to listen to this one for the first time. When I first listened to it I was slightly disappointed by some of the tracks which initially I felt were maybe a little weak and not as compelling as their earlier stuff. On second listening however all of a sudden the album just 'clicked' with me and now I really love it. Yes, the music has a different feel to their music of the 80's, on albums such as Listen Like Thieves, and here it's a bit heavier and a darker at times but it's still incredibly good and Michael's voice was still great. Some of the tracks are very moving and make me want to cry, especially knowing that Michael was so tormented in his last few months. I like this album a lot and I'm really happy to have it in my music collection.
on 17 August 2004
I came to know of INXS through a strange route - having heard Don't Lose Your Head in the soundtrack to the film Face/Off, I grabbed a copy of this album from a bargain bucket and was instantly hooked. There is so much slick, refined creativity in the 12 tracks that appear on this CD that it's hard to know where to start. Smooth, heartfelt ballads are mixed in with raw, upbeat rock of a more conventional kind, and even the odd bit of funk is thrown in for good measure. The influences are clear (sometimes I have to remind myself that this ISN'T actually U2), but it's all pulled off with such panache, that the individuality of the work really does stand out.
INXS have been around a long time (almost 30 years), always maturing and changing with the times. This album, the last before Michael Hutchence's death, is the culmination of that development and refinement.
1997 was a great year for rock albums, and this is right up there with the best of them. Terrific.
on 26 September 2005
inxs 1997 a year after this fantastic album was released michael hutchence comitted suicide what a waste for such a man with such a powerful voice and such charisma...but on a good note this was a fantastic way for the original inxs and michael to go out on a high note with beautiful words spine chilling melodies it's my favorite album of there's it has the dance beats the rock riffs and the beat of 10 men..a superb album which is vasely under-rated by the fans and critics..this album needs to be heard..
michael hutchence was just a man with a special talent that can't be replaced
on 25 July 2006
This cd, Elegantly Wasted, along with Michael Hutchence's posthumously released solo cd, are my all-time favorite albums. I own back-up copies of each because I am truly addicted to the sounds and the lyrics of both. Each is haunting, sophisticated, funky, heartfelt, and intensely soulful. It's not an exaggeration to say that both the Elegantly Wasted (EW) cd and Michael's solo cd have had a deeply profound effect on me. Each track of both cd's is so meaningfully amazing. Of particular note on the EW cd are the tracks: "I'm Just a Man," "Don't Lose Your Head," "She Is Rising," and "Building Bridges." Michael Hutchence was such an amazing artist: one of the best frontmen ever. He was an incredible poet with a beautifully strong and soulful voice, as well as an incomparably thrilling performer. I am so grateful to have all of Michael's cd's and these two in particular: EW and Michael's solo are the two best. It is more than a tragedy that Hutch's two last masterpieces have not been lauded to the heights that they deserve. Like previous reviewers, I agree that EW is among the most underrated and it and Michael's solo cd deserve recognition for their brilliance.
on 8 January 2000
This is THE VERY BEST INXS album ever. Lyrically profound, Michael tells us of his troubles but emphasizes the hope he was feeling at the time.
The two UK singles, the title track and Everything do not advertise the album at all, great as they are.
I kid you not - EVERY song is fantastic - dark, haunting lyrics and a move well away from the old 1980s sound of INXS.
This album is pure rock and demonstrates Michael as a Rock God as he shows his voice off to its fullest extent here. Listen to when feeling discontent and angry with the world and you'll be uplifted by the thought that his troubles were far worse than yours may ever be! Truly remarkable, but not for the casual INXS fan - you've got to be prepared to read into the songs, and you'll be rewarded with a unique insight into Hutchence.
on 22 June 2001
A very underated album,which i believe holds inxs greatest work.Songs such as SEARCHING and IM JUST A MAN,leave you thinking what troubles Michael was going through,yet you cant help think those troubles created these fantastic lyrics.A much maturer album than ever before,but hey,we all grow up.If you thought inxs were past it when they released this masterpiece,buy it because you really are missing out on some superb music.
on 28 April 2015
What surprises me about inxs is how under rated they are as a creative band, I hadn't heard any of these tracks before buying it and was blown away by the albums progression from previous work.I think their biggest achievement was their journey of progression in terms of producing ever more complex tracks with a distinctive feel for their australian roots , well worth a buy.
on 15 June 2006
If you like INXS, or have heard some of their songs either before Michael Hutchence's death of after, this is an album to own. The INXS sound has matured over the best part of 20 years to deliver a master piece. "Elegantly Wasted" sums up a moment in time, with "I'm Just a Man" explaining a bit more. Michael Hutchence was one of the world's best rock stars, and INXS' influence can be heard in many bands then and now. Its great to see INXS back again with J D Fortune. Switch is a great come-back for INXS as a band.