Format: Audio CD|Change

on 26 November 2011
Well I felt I just had to redress the balance here, since this album is getting 2 1/2 stars average. I would say this is my favourite Tony Banks album. On all his other albums there is at least one track which I'm not so keen on. Not so 'The Fugitive'. Of course, you could say that Tony's decision to do the singing on all the tracks (apart from the instrumentals of course!) is a bit dubious, but I actually think it works better than could perhaps be expected. I think it's nice when someone is singing their own stuff. I could list individual tracks and say "oh, that's one's great!" but I think they all are! If I had to pick one standout track it would be a toss-up between 'This Is Love' and 'Thirty Three's'. Another reviewer was saying that 'A Curious Feeling' is the only Tony Banks album worth listening to, but I beg to differ. The problem with that album for me is the sound. There's just no "oomph". Not so with this album. It's a while since I last looked at the sleeve note but I'm pretty sure it was recorded at The Farm studio in Surrey where all the later Genesis albums were recorded. Anyway, if so, it shows.

Anyway, I've had my little say and hopefully if you are looking at this review and thinking of buying the album this will have encouraged you the part with your hard earned cash for it!
on 30 January 2002
Tony Banks proves here yet again that he, not anyone else is the amazing creative genius of genesis, not steve hackett or peter gabriel. One can see the sad decline into the style in which 80's genesis worked- short, poppy songs. But I don't want to moan over it, he is still absolutely amazing, the talent coulnd't possibly be hidden and the album even now is going through my head. I only give it 4 stars because it is a bit dry, it does not have the soft fluent magic of A Curious Feeling or the songs he wrote for genesis-afterglow, one for the vine , the lady lies or even Me And Sarah Jane. The standout tracks here are Thirty three's (which sounds a bit like something from Invisible Touch), Moving Under, and my personal favourite- the first track, This Is Love. The choices are controversial perhaps but there you are. His voice at the end of the fist song sounds odd but wonderful.
on 26 February 2016
I shall assume you have the original CD and wish to know if this remix is worth it?
YES, it is.
In my humble opinion, this is how you need to hear The Fugitive. The dynamic of the whole listening experience is enhanced, and the greater detail brings out far more of Tony's harmonic sensibility. Very impressive.
A nice sounding vinyl re-issue, but it's not really Banks at his best. There's nothing wrong with most of it - pleasant pop tunes that sound like Abacab-era Genesis - but it never really grabbed in the same way A Curious Feeling does or his work with early Genesis. Banks takes on the vocal role here, and the results are surprisingly not as bad as you'd think. If you like the poppy side of Genesis, this will be up your street, but if you're a fan of the early stuff then it's not for you. I sit in the middle, so can appreciate the short, poppy tunes, but they're just not as memorable as the work he did with Genesis. It's probably not something I'll listen to often, but when I do, I enjoy it.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 29 March 2016
Sound-wise, Esoteric Recordings expanded editions of the first two solo albums from Genesis keyboardist Tony Banks are pretty much faultless.

Both A Curious Feeling and this 'un, The Fugitive, benefit from full bodied, bigger drum sound remixes from the master tapes by Nick Davis (who remixed the Genesis catalogue in 2007) and Tony Banks; the reissues also include the Surround Sound mixes (and new 24-Bit Stereo mixes) done by Davis and Banks for each album.

However, while A Curious Feeling would become heralded as one of the finest works in the musical catalogue of Tony Banks (Genesis albums included), The Fugitive is a quite different musical beast from A Curious Feeling.

For solo album number two Tony Banks decided to sing the songs himself to give them more of his own identity; a brave decision given that Banks was never a lead vocalist (and, by his own admission, hasn’t got a great voice).

The Fugitive therefore becomes a decent-ish collection of songs heavily influenced by the early 80s keyboard and synth-pop movement (the album was recorded in 1983) that could have been a stronger collection of such numbers had a more confident vocal or better vocalist been employed (imagine a vocally strained version of Al Stewart with limited phrasing ability and you have Tony Banks on The Fugitive).

Given that particular state of vocal affairs the strongest material on The Fugitive becomes, unsurprisingly, the instrumentals ('Thirty Three’s,' 'Charm') and the rockier material where Banks is vocally supported by a wall of sound (the excellent 'At the Edge of Night' being a prime example).

The simple electro-pop of 'By You' also works well, as does opening number 'This Is Love.'
Limited vocal aside, 'This Is Love' is a fun reggae-pop number with a rocked up middle section that hints to where Genesis would popgressively head a few years later.

The Fugitive, for all its flaws, does have a quirky 80s pop charm about it – and this well presented reissue (hardcase cover, booklet, bonus tracks, promo video) provides an opportunity to revisit a very different musical side of Tony Banks.
on 10 March 2016
It's surely his worst but somehow it's a very compelling record, and very addictive.

Such as there is never such thing as a bad pizza, there is never such thing as bad Tony Banks album when you compare it to everything else out there
on 19 April 2013
Impressed by Tony Banks' keyboard playing in Genesis, I purchased this as an LP many years ago. I was quite surprised how forgettable and low key the music was, so I slung the LP in a dark corner and forgot it. I took it out again recently and my opinion has not changed. No doubt Tony Banks' other work is far better but this a CD to avoid unless you want to own something rare (I cannot believe it sold in volume!).
on 16 April 2016
An okay album .
on 28 March 2016
As per Acurious Felling got this originally on release date. This copy still in shrink wrap.
on 24 June 2016