Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 October 2007
Everyone selling this CD on this product page is trying to rip you off. This album is readily available for under a fiver here on Amazon and in other places.
on 9 January 2004
"Trees They Grow So High" is Sarah Brightmans fist solo album, released in 1988. It consists of 19 delightful Folksongs arranged by Benjamin Britten (1913-1976).

Ms. Brightman is accopanied by only a piano (played by Geoffrey Parsons), so the listner is treated to Sarah's pure, crystaline voice.

It is a very different album from Sarah's more recent albums, and it is delightful to her her "younger" voice.

The songs that I most enjoy on the album are:
"Early one morning" and "The last rose of summer" Sarah sings them with such perfect clarity and sweetness.
The album comes with a large booklet with lyrcs and French translations.
"Trees They Grow So High" is a must-have for anyone who enjoyes peaceful, easy -listening music. Sarah's clear diction makes this album a real treat! A wonderful addition to any Sarah Brightman or music-lover's colletion!!
Another beautiful album by Sarah Brightman is "Time to say Goodbye"
VINE VOICEon 2 April 2012
I was rather excited at the time when this album was released, as I had always been a fan of Ms. Brightman after her lovely soprano voice had been discovered and I was eagerly awaiting a release that wasn't a 'pop' album. However; I was a little disappointed at first, because I was desiring something with more orchestration rather than the 'folky' stuff we get here which is only accompanied by a piano. It takes some time to get used to before it begins to mean anything to the listener, but one could see the potential of Ms. Brightman's beautiful and amazing voice with some fine examples. She exercises some incredible control over her voice here which I suspect she would have some difficulty with today - using the example of her Christmas album which was dreadful... (see my Review for that title)

The most irritating thing I find with these type of singers, is they have the ability to sing very classical songs - train for the 'classical' voice - then seldom use it... They will persist however to record 'middle of the road' stuff... Ms. Brigtman is one of the worst offenders in this, and whilst I am still a fan and do purchase most of what she does, hardly any of the material using her beautiful soprano voice is ever included...

This album is pretty unique in her back catalogue, and it's a great pity that she did not record more classical stuff over the years, as I think now she is older, and her voice having deteriorated so much, I doubt very much she would have such control if she was to try this kind of stuff today...

NOTE:. I do not understand why the packaging of this CD has been changed - I still prefer my original which has a lovely photo of Ms. Brightman on the cover, looks more classy, and has become quite collectible. It tends to go for pretty big prices on eBay!
VINE VOICEon 2 April 2012

on 6 September 2007
I am a Sarah Brightman fan. At the time I bought this album I already owned nine of her albums so I thought this was a safe bet. Oh how wrong you can be.Out of my nine albums, my favourites are Harem and La Luna. This one however isn't just poor. It's not just bad. It's absolutely hideous. Childish folk songs you may have learned at school to the accompanyment of a single piano. I have played it twice, niether time all the way through. The second time just to see if it was as bad as I remenbered the first time. It was. You know when you buy a CD and end up with a coaster. It's one of those.
And this is for me the worst solo album by Sarah...
I'm a huge fan since 1998 but I'm sure that I'll never listen to this one again...
I have it just to complete a colection...nothing else...
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 3 March 2003
This cd is terrible, the only way I can possibly tell someone to get this cd is to add to their Sarah Brightman collection.
Its in mine, but it doesnt get played. There is not one song on this album that I like. You may think this is just MY opinion but I have yet to talk to a Sarah Brightman fan that actually can endure listening to this let alone LIKING it.
The music is nothing like Sarah Brightmans other songs. The songs are mostly folk songs or Nursery rhymes, the only instrument being the piano, and where Sarah's voice is usually beautiful and suits the music, her soprano like voice on this one clashes greatly the piano. There is no doubt in my mind that this album is the worst that Sarah has ever done and I don't know what she was thinking at the time.
This CD has a nice front cover, but the rest of it is really cheap looking. There are lyrics in the booklet but the sound quality on this cd is extremely low, you have to turn it right up to hear it (which could be a good thing, depends on which way you think about it). I have all of Sarah's cds and this one is unique, but in a very bad way.
This cd doesnt even deserve the one star that I've given it, but unfortunately, I can't go any lower. 0 out of 5 for this rubbish. ONLY get it if you want to complete your Sarah collection.