Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 16 March 2012
Lost my copy of the Best of J J Cale record in the late 80's...was originally described to me, when i bought it, as 'Swamp' music by the record shop owner. So so good I just had to buy it again! & again..bought it by mistake second time, but atleast I will always have a spare copy! All the tracks are superb, especially on a summers day. Don't ponder, just buy it is my advice:)
on 16 May 2017
Really brilliant
on 26 June 2003
Many people walk around and sing along to JJ Cale and they don't even know it for he has been an influence to many musicians, the most well known being Mark Knopfler and Eric Clapton. This is a great retrospective of material spanning the decades from this most enigmatic of performers.
The wonderful thing about JJ Cale is that if you like one album you are bound to like all of the others, for he found his furrow early on and has successfully ploughed it since. That is not to say that it ever gets tedious or wearing because it doesn't. It always pleases and excites in a lazy sort of way.
Most of the great songs are here, including "After Midnight" (covered by EC on his first album), the wonderful "Magnolia" that always moves me, the previously unreleased and quite magnificent "Midnight in Memphis" which sizzles along nicely, the eloquence of tracks such as "Sensitive Kind" which John Mayall recorded for his album Sense of Place, the unrestrained rocker that is "Mama Don't" which features some exquisite playing by JJ, "Don't Cry Sister" which has been covered by many artists, not least Clarence Gatemouth Brown with Sonny Landreth on slide and of course crowd favourite for EC, "Cocaine".
This is an excellent primer for anyone not yet familiar with the work of JJ Cale and is also a joy to listen to for those who have walked down the years with him. If you find that you like what you hear, then you will find yourself wanting to search out every other album ... JJ is that addictive as an artist. Buy this, you will not be disappointed.
on 2 March 2010
Released in 1998, an intelligent and sensitive compilation of J.J. Cales'
songs drawn from eight albums over the period 1971 to 1983, as follows.

Tracks 1,3,2 & 4 from Naturally, 1971.
Track 5 from Really, 1972.
Tracks 8 & 7 from Okie, 1973.
Tracks 10 & 9 from Troubadour, 1975.
Tracks 13,11,12 & 14 from 5, 1978.
Tracks 15 & 16 from Shades, 1980.
Tracks 17,18 & 19 from Grasshopper, 1981.
and track 20 from 8, 1983.

Track 6 is an unreleased instrumental from the Really sessions.
Running time 61 mins.
on 19 September 2006
Well I can't top the anecdote from Rocky Frisco, but I can recommend that you also check out the JJ Cale compilation 'Anyway the Wind Blows' on Amazon. The 'Very Best' CD is a 20 track compilation that has been condensed down from the 50 track double CD 'Wind Blows' version. And as both are on Amazon at the same price, I'd say that 'Wind Blows' is an even better bargain!
on 18 June 2004
I bought this album because of the Magnolia track which I had heard on Turin Brakes' Late Night Tales compilation. It was a real moody track and to be honest I expected the same on the greatest hits. But to my pleasant surprise what I got was an album full of great variant tracks. From honky tonk blues to upbeat guitar and piano songs this really is a pleasure to listen to. Highly recommended for chilling out to.
on 23 September 2006
I bought this on a recommendation from a friend & listened to some snippets on Amazon just to get a feel. It did not prepare me for the full magnificence of this record.

What a treat, I am a complete convert - it's bluesy, it's country,it's rock & roll - it's superb.

If you are a novice to the sounds of JJ Cale like me, buy this & become a convert.

Wow !!!
on 27 November 2006
In the early days John played a gig at the infamous whiskey ago go club in L.A At the time a band called the velvet underground where also playing a gig there...it so happens that the bass player of the velvet undergrounds name is also John Cale, so the club owner said to John I am going to call you JJ Cale to prevent confusion, John replied, if your gona pay me to play you can call me what ever you want.... That is how the JJ came into existence...

Enough history, this man is the king of the laid back groove...buy buy buy
on 30 August 2006
I'm writing this to correct the error in the top review. There is NO Jean Jacques Cale. John's name is and always was John W. Cale, born in December 1938 in Oklahoma City. The "Jean Jacques" crap was made up by a French "jounalist" who was thrown out of the venue when he got drunk and disorderly and insulted one of the ladies in the Cale entourage. He went back to his hotel and wrote a pack of lies. He said John's name was Jean Jacques Cale because he was born in Paris, Texas. I have John's permission to counter this misinformation. I'm Rocky Frisco, pianist in the Cale Band.

This is a great compilation, worth much more than the selling price.
on 19 July 2011
I am not normally a fan of 'best of' albums but this is extremely well put together and a brilliant album indeed. I dont need to harp on about who he has influenced over the years but this really is a fabulous album and was the starting point for me to collect most of Mr Cales merchandise. Okie, To Tulsa and Back and Troubadour also worth a looky...really really good album.