Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£14.95+ £1.26 shipping

on 9 January 2004
Many years ago I was driving home from work and heard a totally marvelous version of the Buddy Holly classic -It dosn't Matter Any More - coming from my radio. On the strength of this I went out and bought Lida Ronstadt's LP Heart Like a Wheel for this one track. On playing it for the first time, I found many other old classics treated in the same smooth way .Many years on the old vinyl was worn and scratched and I was fortunate to obtain this CD as an Import back in 2002. now it has been released over here.The album contains many well known pop and country titals, all recorded in Linda's distinctive style,and is a must for any Linda Ronstadt fan.
on 17 April 2015
The other reviewers have pretty much said all that needs to be said about this album. I've had it on vinyl since it came out 40 odd years ago. I still play it and it still sounds fab. If you love LR as I do, you'll probably already have it in some format and if you dont and are just discovering one of the best singing voices of this and any century, you couldn't do better than start here. However, you can pay £9.49 for this album alone, which is a bit steep if you ask me, even though it is a fantastic album or, you can pay £9.49 for The Best of Linda Ronstadt - The Capitol Years which actually includes this album in total and in same track order, along with the 3 previous albums she recorded for Capitol Records in the late 60's/early 70's, before she hit the big time with Heart Like A Wheel. So you can get 4 times the music for the same money. It's much the same story on itunes. You can never have too much Linda Ronstadt.
on 24 September 2008
I first bought this on import cassette in the 70s on the strength of the single 'You're No Good'. Over 30 years later, it's still my favourite album. I think her version of 'Willing' (the Little Feat song) is the most uplifting song I've ever heard. The last two tracks, 'Keep Me From Blowing Away' and 'You Can Close Your Eyes', are stunning. There are no low points on the album. Linda Ronstadt is a brilliant singer with a unique ability to cover a huge range of different material. This is her best record, in my opinion, and a fantastic place to start for anyone wishing to buy one of her records.
on 7 August 2007
In this CD appeared You are no good, Linda's top single of her career which reached nr. 1 in the US hit chart. The album is a typical Linda album of the 70s including a diversity of styles of music, from a fantastic country duet with Emmylou Harris in I can't help if I'm still in love with you to covers of songs by James Taylor. Her fantastic voice permits her to sing a big variety of songs producing her best albums in this period which also include Simple Dreams, Hasten down the Wind and Prisoner in Disguise.
on 19 January 2010
When I was a young and stupid teenager, with no real clue about how the world worked, I used to hate country music. That, however, was a while ago now and with a few years on the clock I have since come to realise what a diverse, complex and, ultimately, rewarding genre of music it can be. As indeed 1974's Heart like a Wheel is a fantastic example of.
We're in steady territory here right from the outset. You're No Good is better than it has ever been by any other singer in its long history. It's clear from the opening few bars that we're in a Rockier territory than some purists may favour but, make no mistake; this is where Linda Ronstadt shines. Her voice, immaculate as ever, is as powerful and delicate a weapon as any singer could ever hope for. She can belt out the Rockier numbers stronger than Janis Joplin whilst still retaining that delicate Country croon for tracks like It Doesn't Matter Anymore, Faithless Love and the absolutely astonishing title track.
Accompaniment and production comes primarily in the form of multi-instrumentalists Peter Asher and Andrew Gold who provide a steady and gorgeous backdrop to Ronstadt's voice that retains all of Country music's finest values. Most notably; luscious harmony vocals and effective but not overly used pedal steel guitar solos.
Later on there's the Everly Brothers' When Will I be Loved refined into the most perfect two minutes and four seconds of country pop that you could ever imagine; and Ronstadt proves once again that Little Feat's Willin' is the greatest stadium rock anthem that never was.
If the album does fall down at all it's in the inclusion of Hank Williams' I Cant Help It If I'm Still in Love with You. It almost feels like a desperate attempt to remind the listener that we are still definitely in Country territory and it just feels unnecessary and, strangely, out of place.
For Ronstadt, Heart Like a Wheel marked the end of her contract with Capitol Records but the beginning of her most successful years as one of America's leading female artists and she was soon filling stadiums across the country. And from the evidence here it's easy to see why; unless of course, you're a stupid teenager who doesn't know what they're missing.

And of course; she is remarkably fit!
on 6 March 2010
This is another well rounded collection of songs from what I believe to Linda's best period. She followed this (loosely) with "Prisoner in disguise" and "Hasten down the wind" but then went more poppy and Mexican. OK but not for me.

The title track says it all unless you've never been in love. When you bend it, you can't mend it, and that happened to me very recently. Smacked upside the head when I didn't want it and didn't need it only to be turned down by the object of my affection. Love you Linda, you said it all for me.

"When will I be loved" (by the person I actually want) is a suitable track to follow although on the vinyl version you have first to turn over the record. Happy memories.

If you haven't felt any pain or joy by now then I doubt the heart breaking closing track will make much difference to you. You need to start breathing. "You can close your eyes" cos I won't sing the blues anymore. It's all about love and rejection and a beautiful collection from a beautiful woman with a beautiful voice. Rock on Linda.
on 3 November 2014
Excellent condition and arrived earlier than expected. Very happy with the purchase.
on 8 May 2012
bought this cd as a gift which was very well received. The packing was tidy the disc clean.
payment was a difficulty due to my failing to update my details, but seller was patient and eventually after funds were released shipment happened very quickly.
on 7 March 2010
Although I have the box set collection of Linda's, there are some tracks on this that are not in the set - would strongly recommend you listen to this album
on 15 May 2011
This is a wonderful CD with Linda Ronstadt's unique voice singing forlorn love songs. The title song is from the sisters Anna and Kate McGarrigle. I like their rendition better than Linda's. Linda's also leaves out a stanza, the one Anna is singing when she sings it with her sister.
Linda has one of the best voices in country song history and it is always a pleasure to hear her as a virtuosa of Americana.

Melanie S, Belgium