Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Amazon Music Unlimited for Family Shop now Shop now

Format: Audio CD|Change

VINE VOICEon 11 June 2009
Would Erik Satie have been delighted with Jacques Loussier's exploration of his work?
...this work of genius?
I like to think so.
This truly is a masterwork...
However I do not have the words to describe the serene beauty of this recording.
All I can do is recommend you go to amazon.com and listen to some of the samples and allow yourself be overwhelmed by the experience.
My guess is you're gonna want more.
I did and still do.
on 9 December 2001
I have always regarded the works of Satie as some of the most entrancing and hauntingly beautiful music around. Jacques Lousier's treatment of these pieces only add to their sublimity. The rhythm section gives another dimension to the sound. Perfect as the setting to any dinner party, or turned up loud to fill the room. Let the music wash over you and sweep you away.
on 5 March 2001
My aunt sent me this as a birthday present because she didn't know what to get me and after listening to it I am really pleased that she decided that this was the gift for me. I live high up in the mountains of Sóller in Mallorca surrounded by olive trees and sheep and this is ideal relaxing music to listen to while putting my feet up after a hard day's work. The sheep seem to like it as well!!
on 7 February 2011
I must agree with three previous reviewers.
You need a good player; Satie would have appreciated this interpretation; 5-star recommendation.
Dream, amble, walk and dance with Jacques, but do not shuffle the order of these tracks; especially keep Jacques own composition as the last as an encore tribute.
I feel that I have learnt so much more about Satie the "turn-of-the-century" composer thanks to Jacques.
on 7 May 2007
On the sleeve notes Jacques states that,"in their original form they created an esoteric atmosphere, and I have chosen to extend this, investigating their meditative aspects, researching what they have to say about our inner selves. There is no room in these pieces for any kind of pianistic technique such as you may find in my interpretations of Bach or Vivaldi. Instead, I'm taking a completely contrasting approach and looking deep into the music".

Loussier is not just a great Jazz pianist, he is a great musician: these interpretations showcase this.
on 27 April 2015
I have some sympathy with the commenter who wrote that "... Satie does not (need jazz)" because, as someone who likes his jazz 'straight ahead' and bemoans how jazz is 'fused' with any old thing these days - mostly with very tepid results - I can see why anyone who appreciates Satie 'straight ahead', so to speak, would not see the need to deviate from that, however... I heard Loussier play 'Gymnopedie' on Radio 3 and really enjoyed it, so I decided to buy the album and, far from 'messin' around' with Satie's music, I believe Loussier has paid a great tribute in a most elegant and sensitive manner. I loved this album from the 'off'; forget it's jazz-driven, even forget it's Satie, disregard any argument as to whether classical should ever 'meet' jazz and listen (and I mean LISTEN) and appreciate it as simply beautiful music sublimely explored and interpreted; for me, it simply melts away any cares and woes in an instant whilst rewarding the musical 'ear'; how many albums do that?
on 25 May 2013
I had this album some years' ago, and it was either borrowed and not returned or lost. I bought it again, and it was a joy to hear. Classy, relaxing,,just the sort of background music as friends arrive for dinner, or you need to unwind on your own. Goes down well with a good glass of wine or a gin and tonic... Recommended.
on 28 April 2016
Let's not beat around the bush! This jazz is pretty old already... but has it lost it's cool? Does it sound dated? Perhaps it is even necessary to ask if Lousier does justice to Satie's fabulous impressionist music? No, No and Yes, I just love this album to pieces and play it and its cousin 'Plays Debussy' all day long and I love the unwind, be cool yourself, buy the album... no... buy them both!
on 8 January 2013
quick delivery! It was a Christmas present so I can't say much about it. My brother loves it and so do my sons, so must be good!
on 26 April 2013
Perhaps not to all tasted, but this Jazz reworking of Satie is on in my car a lot and helps me relax after a long hard day.