Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 May 2017
Great item, quick delivery, no problems
I'd heard of The Tubes in the 70's but, even though a spotty teenager, felt that they were a little too 'out there' - even by my tastes! This was the album that got me hooked in '81, and I was so impressed I went out and bought all their previous stuff. I soon realised I'd been a fool in not jumping sooner. This band was crazy! So deliberately outrageous, yet so cool. 'Completion Backward' carried on the shift in style evident in the previous release, the excellent 'Remote Control', but it still managed to retain the early quirkiness of The Tubes with songs that were well written, well observed and well played. The obvious radio hits are here (Talk to Ya Later), coupled with typical Tubes humour (Attack of the 50 foot Woman). Here was a band that was clearly yearning for some commercial success. They partly found it with this album, but only went on to greater success with the later release - the very flaky 'Outside Inside'. For me, in spite of the brilliance of their earlier stuff ('White Punks' and 'Don't touch me there' to name but 2) the fact remains that their earlier albums lacked consistency. 'Completion Backward' simply doesn't have a bad track on it. For me, it only loses a star because of its insistence on being FM friendly and so is not as tongue in cheek, and therefore not as witty as I would have liked. For a good spread of their excellent early stuff, check out the boxed set 'Going Down..' to which I've also posted a review. A great band that sadly never had the plaudits it deserved.
on 8 April 2002
I have this one on black plastic and to be honest I have worn it out! I love all the tracks although amnesia and talk to ya later are faves... well lets say that there is only one track I would give 4 stars and I don't think I am going to tell you which one except to say I don't eat uncooked fish!!!!!!!
I brought this one along with Remote control, which if you like don't want to wait then you will appreciate all the tracks therein. I am going to get new versions of both these albums so watch out neighbours!
VINE VOICEon 21 October 2004
I am a big fan of The Tubes, having seen them live in the 70s/80s and again in 2000-and something, but have to admit that the attraction of them was always the spectacular live shows rather then just the music itself. With some of the earlier albums a lot of the music only worked if you had seen the stage show and could picture their performance. Only a few stand-out tracks worked in their own right.
But with this album (and the previous one Remote Control) they produced a whole set of tracks that can stand up on their own. The beginning of Talk To Ya Later just has to be one for the most explosive beginnings to an album ever, and almost justifies buying this just for that alone.
The album art is themed around an imaginary big corporation called The Tubes Group, with biographies of the board (band members) on the back, and pretended to be one of those naff motivational albums to gee-up a sales force. It was so well conceived that, as a teenager buying the original vinyl, I had to check twice to make sure it was the 'real' Tubes. Fortunately, after the brief message asking you to "if you can possibly manage the time, please play both sides at one meeting" the album launched straight into energetic, well-produced rock, broken only by a power ballad or two.
on 10 June 2009
Just wanted to add my tuppence. Got this way back when first released. Perhaps I was having my mid life crisis 'cos I revisited this and it is now permanantly in the car. It shares space with my other rather eclectic tastes from that era. You don't want to know really, but Back in Black is all but 30 years old now I believe...
Anyway, just a top, top album with some cracking tracks. Probably agree not the best introduction the group, but turn it up to 11...
Ok so I am very old, but inventive stuff like this (Muse apart probably) just isn't made any more.
VINE VOICEon 12 June 2007
The Tubes gained their early kudos from their ingenious, satirical stage shows, which, like all visual comedy doesn't have the same impact on record. Like its predecessor, 'Remote Control', this album takes a more listener-friendly approach. The title contains much irony, as critics were quick to point out that The Tubes had gone artistically backward. The co-credit for Toto guitarist Steve Lukather on 'Talk To Ya Later' is a giveaway as to the direction the band were headed in. 'Don't Want To Wait Anymore' is a ballad from that school of rock, though, to be fair, the rest of the songs, though overtly commercial, are a lot more sprightly.

The songs are of uneven quality. 'Talk To Ya Later' has the same bravado as Van Halen's 'Jump' and is otherwise as limited in craft. I prefer the funky 'Let's Make Some Noise', the brutal 'Mr Hate' and another Toto-like effort, 'Amnesia'. So, a backward, but enjoyable rock album that retains a sense of humour.
on 22 November 2011
You really have to wonder why the Tubes were not as big as other acts, the production, song writing and musicianship on the album is of the highest calibre, perhaps it was fate, that such a great piece of music has been heard by so few. If you like AOR then this album will be in your top 10.
on 17 October 2014
One of my favorite albums from back in the day. Tubes went severely downhill after this album.
on 26 November 2014
I have the vinyl version but it was hard to find this on CD. Recommended.
on 8 April 2011
For those of us who have heard or seen the tubes it would sometimes seem that the rest of the world has somehow missed them. They remind me of Bowie or ziggy when in total showmen mode. I only wish I could get the early shows on download or DVD. Used to have an old beta video of completion backwards/White punks on dope stuff. Better than so called extravagant video we see today. Fee is still brilliant and they are a band where they all shine. Love the tubes!