VINE VOICEon 10 October 2003
The 'trouble' with Rafferty releases over the past few years is that they have been criminally ignored by all but those in the know. The albums themselves have indeed been a return to form, almost reminiscent to the City To City & Night Owl days.
North & South really should have been the come-back album for Gerry, but for whatever reason this country now seems more interested in manufactured pap rather than a genius at work.
For proof stick this on and be overwhelmed by tracks such as "North & South", "Moonlight & Gold", "Hearts Run Dry", "Shipyard Town" & "Nothing Ever Happens Down Here" - the only song I know of which mentions Sauchiehall Street ( a famous Glasgow shoping area).
If you are a music fan and are broad-minded enough to look beyond "Baker Street", then this is for you. It really should've sold millions. Sometimes there is no justice in the world.
This is a brilliant album by a brilliant musician.
VINE VOICEon 3 August 2005
North & South really should have been the come-back album for Gerry, but for whatever reason this country (UK) now seems more interested in manufactured pap rather than a genius at work.
For proof stick this on and be overwhelmed by tracks such as "North & South", "Moonlight & Gold", "Hearts Run Dry", "Shipyard Town" & "Nothing Ever Happens Down Here" - the only song I know of which mentions Sauchiehall Street ( a famous Glasgow shopping area).
This is a brilliant album by a brilliant musician.
on 7 October 2000
This album contains great track after great track. Although the whole album has a Celtic tinge to it, the title track is a standout. Definitely one of Gerry's best ever tracks, and every track on this album is a winner. No weak ones at all.
on 10 January 2011
I have been lucky enough to have seen most of my favourite artists over the last twenty years(mccartney,harrison,clapton knopfler,armatrading etc)to see gerry rafferty play at the hammersmith odeon in the early 90s was as good as anything i have ever seen,it was obvious that his fabulous band that night (jerry donahue,alan clark,mel collins hugh burns and another 6 or more top session men!) loved gerry and his music and none more so than the music from this album,it annoys me that his later work is dismissed by so called experts in the obituarys of the past week,this album is the equal of any of his other work it is beautiful music from a wonderful artist,rest in peace gerry the world was a better place for your music.
on 26 March 2009
This album is proof of Gerry Rafferty's talent and the sort of thing that gets you tearing your hair out at the ritualistic killing off of anyone who doesn't choose to conform to the demands of the 'Big Money Man'. Within his field Gerry Rafferty is superb.
on 4 June 2012
I heard this album for the first time a couple of evenings ago. I have to say that I was really surprised at its quality. I knew City to City and Night Owl when they first came out but hadn't listened much subsequently. Baker Street has meant that we never listen to anything else, and it's a great pity. I can think of no other reason why this great record has been ignored. Just one weak track, the shortest one.
on 10 February 2011
had this album on cassette, lost in when moving house.
bitterly disappointed it's so hard to come by on cd.
Rafferty and Donahue, a killer combination and a work of art
on 16 September 2011
Totally agree with the previous comments made by Mr Cranson. I bought this album on cd when it was released back in April '88 (if my memory serves me). I was only about 13 at the time but got into Gerry Rafferty's music from an early age.

North and South was Gerry Rafferty's return to studio recording (after a 6 year hiatus) and was a great return to form, linking up again with long time producer/friend Hugh Murphy. The album has quite a celtic tinged flavour running thru it's tracks. The opening title track is superb, merging many instruments along with brilliant story telling, really atmospheric. Moonlight and Gold is lovely and Tired of Talkin' is another highlight with brilliant guitar work by renowned american session player Jerry Donahue. The tracks that follow are all of a similar standard.

I caught the great man live in March '93 (and i'm so glad i did as it was a memorable show). Sad he's now left us but his musical legacy will live on......

Highly recommended.
David Cook.
on 18 December 2008
I had this for free when it was released! It was an offer as one of five free CD's when I bought my first Fischer CD Player, way back in the 80's. I have loved this album from day one, I never miss a track, I never tire of listening to it, I never play the original anymore either because of the (in my opinion) absurd prices being charged for used ones. I play a mini disk copy of mine to keep the original gem safe.

If you were one of the lucky ones who got this when it was new please look after it, if you did not and are a Gerry Rafferty fan or not then get it, even at these absurd prices because it is one of the best albums you will ever hear.

From the title track to the last one on the album you will be glad you bought it every time you listen to it.
on 15 May 2008
I Bought it when it was released and have played at least once every month ever since. There is no dip, no track I would skip. I liked the Humblebums and I had his early stuff on vinyl which was good after N & S I didn't buy more because It was to hard to follow. I am buying two more later ones now. As good, inshAllah.