Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 September 2002
Mike Oldfield, the genius of instrumental and ambient music, grabbed five traditional Celtic songs, added another five of his own, and launched what is now my favorite Mike Oldfield album of all time... and I own pretty much everything from him. Track 9 ("Flowers of the Forest"), in particular, is an awesome work. Track 3 ("The Hero") has been a favorite to everyone I played this album to but, all in all, it's the general theme (sort of like a suitable soundtrack for the movie "Braveheart") that really sells this album. Being a fan of Tolkien, much like Mike Oldfield himself, I can't help picturing The Hobbit when I listen to track 7 ("Dark Island").
If you like Mike Oldfield and loved movies like "Braveheart" or "Lord of the Rings", then this album couldn't be a better choice.
on 22 April 2000
This album is in a class of it's own.A superbly mastered album that you can play over & over again without getting bored. There's a natural feel of the 'CELTS'to it.Women of Ireland is my favourite track for which you can visualise yourself , strolling along the' Connemara Coast',which is breathtaking, just like the album.
on 13 April 2001
This album is a marvellous collection of traditional Celtic tracks and Mike Oldfield originals.Oldfield's interpretation of the traditional Celtic tracks is highly effective and unique.His own masterpiece on this is without doubt 'Mont St Michel',a hugely entertaining and uplifting piece of music.The 'traditionals' also get excellent treatment especially 'Women of Ireland' and 'Flowers of the Forest'.The rumour must be true after all-Oldfield is Irish!
on 9 September 2011
I've read all the previous reviews, and there is a wide range of opinion indeed!

So who's "right" and who's "wrong"?

Well the answer is "everyone".

That's not the cop-out it might at first seem.

It's true to say that Voyager is not a groundbreaking album, though it is not devoid of originality. It's certainly no Tubular Bells. But then, after getting on for 40 years (as I write) isn't it about time Mike was allowed to loose the Tubular shackles?

In fact he's be doing this for some time now - but even so, his submitting fully to the Celtic Muse is something of a new direction. I've read accusations of Mike jumping on the bandwagon by releasing a Celtic Music album. Well, in my opinion, this venture is more a brave step than a safe one. Oldfield devotees will remember he has embraced the music of the Celt before, but this is an all out love affair, which could have gone horribly wrong, but I believe has gone very right.

That said, you must, dear music fan, take this into account and set your expectations of this album with that in mind.

If you do, and you like good music, Celtic music or, indeed, good Celtic music, then splash out and you will be thoroughly rewarded.

For what it's worth, Mike... Bravo!
on 5 May 2007
This is a fantastic album, with the celtic influence. Haunting guitars and bagpipes and ghostly pipes. Wonderful, every track is a stand alone masterpiece. Traditional Celtic songs given the Oldfield's touch, a few more words to describe the CD exceptional, terrific, stupendous, dazzling, marvellous, awe-inspiring, breathtaking, remarkable, picturesque, scenic, exquisite, magnificent, gorgeous, and not forgetting charming
on 3 June 2006
I have been a MO fan for as many years as Mike has been writing music. This album is truly a beautiful arrangement of celtic music that i defy anyone not to feel an array of emotions whilst listening to it. Go on let you imagination roam over the stunning valleys and hills of the Highlands Just Beautiful
on 22 May 2014
I read the reviews on this album as I like a lot of Mike Oldfield's stuff. Must say I was very pleasantly surprised that this was so good and not similar to his other collections. Artists run the risk of being 'samey' but this one is definitely not and is refreshingly different, but still has that magic touch of Mike Oldfield.
on 27 May 2000
Now I am a Huge mike fan. I have all his albums, but voyager was one of the ones i bought last. Why?, because i thought it would be mediocre- and I am not the hugest fan of celtic music. But when i eventually did buy Voyager, I couldn't believe how much i had written it off. The Last Track, Mont St. Michel - Is Absolutely outstanding, and is worth the purchase price alone. There are 5 mike Tracks, and 5 traditional arrangements. 'Women of Ireland' and 'The Voyager' are the best of the songs, but Mont St. Michel is just wonderful.
If you are A mike fan, and considering not buying this, forget it - You must listen to Mont St. Michel. It turns what would have been an average album into a moody, well produced piece of work.
on 17 April 2012
If you like mike oldfield (or,anything simular) you'll love this!!My father who is now in his 80's bought this cd many many moons ago.....I liked it then as much as i like it now!! i don't believe you are ever too old to hear and really enjoy this!! It's brilliant and I never tire of it..i bought it off of amazon recently for a mere couple of pound second hand,the pleasure from it is priceless.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 14 September 2012
I've got nothing against bagpipes, per se, but let's just say that they're not my favourite instrument! By being a 'celtic' album, it's natural they're going to feature, I suppose...I also found the album a little disappointing as the best tracks - i.e. the ones I like most, were already on a compilation I already own (Essential XXV).

However, the final track Mont of St Michel is a great fusion of everything that Oldfield does well - big, orchestral and magnificent, with lots of interesting instruments.

Women Of Ireland is the track that stands out and understandably is on his best-of's, but I was disappointed with his rendition of the traditional She Moves Through the Fair, seeming a little insipid.

No album of Mike's is bad of course and maybe I was expecting too much and I just don't see myself playing it much, especially compared to his stronger offerings.