Format: Audio CD|Change

You never know what to expect from a Mavericks album. Even as I write this, I don't even know if there will be another. Each album released so far is markedly different to any of the others, yet each is brilliant in it's own way. This is my favorite. Some of the others were more commercially successful, so obviously a lot of people disagree.
This album isn't really country, yet it has a definite country flavor (like so much of contemporary country music). Most of the songs are originals, but there is a stunning cover of Something Stupid (with guest Trisha Yearwood, then married to one of the band) which beats both the famous versions (which I also enjoy) - the original by Nancy and Frank, and the more recent by Robbie and Nicole. The cover of Blue Moon is also better than either Elvis or the Marcels. Great though these covers are, it is the original songs which are the reason to buy this.
There is a great slice of Tex-Mex swing on All you ever do is bring me down, which hints at what would appear on their follow-up album (Trampoline). Most of the other songs are love ballads, beginning with Foolish Heart (this includes backing vocals by Lari White and Shelby Lynne), all sung superbly by Raul in his distinctive voice. The songs have enough variation in styles and tempos to keep the album interesting, yet they all fit together really well.
This was one of my most played albums in the late nineties. I hadn't played it for a while before getting it out to review it, but it still stands as one of my favorite contemporary country albums.
I love the Mavericks. Great name, great band. The first time I heard their signature song Dance the Night Away I fell for them big time, and have been enslaved ever since.
They're uniquely, catchily uncategorizable, soulful, with a pop-country leaning that is disarmingly addictive, with a stupendously charismatic singer in the splendidly named Raul Malo.
This is almost a classic. Foolish Heart, All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down (with the excellent Flaco Jimenez guesting on accordion), My Secret Flame, Here Comes The Rain and most of the others are beautifully sung and played, with that witty, none too serious quality that this band has made its own. In fact, it's their un-pompous way with a song that is the Mavericks' calling card.
The title and cover are a nice pastiche of a generic fifties LP, but the music is pure Mavericks, and that's enough for any fan of this treasurable band. As usual the production is smooth and clear.
The duet with Trisha Yearwood on Something Stupid is unremarkably if pleasantly painless, but the ponderously ill-conceived version of Blue Moon (and why is it placed at the end?) is quite the opposite - otherwise this is vintage stuff.
on 23 April 2001
Like many I started with Trampoline following the Mavericks world-wide hit "Dance The Night Away". Trampoline is a good album but not as even in quality as this earlier one. If you like smooth old-fashioned country pop then this is a perfect choice.
on 5 October 2004
From the first words of 'Foolish Heart' to the haunting 'Blue Moon' (the best rendition I've EVER heard and still gives me goosebumps!), this album is classic Mavs. 'Missing You' will have you transfixed, 'All you ever do is bring me down' will have you dancing around tapping out the rhythm - the whole album is a MUST for any Mavs fan!!!
on 16 April 2011
This cd was my introduction to the "Mavericks", I had never heard of them until they released the single "Dance the night away". I was given this cd by a family member who had gone to see them in concert in Glasgow, loved them, then went out and bought a few of their cds to further check them out. Of the couple of cds that he bought, this was his least favourite, so he gave it to me. After one play of this cd, I loved it, and even though I have since expanded my "Mavericks" collection, in my humble opinion this is, and probably will remain, their most accomplished and pleasing release. My favourite tracks are "Loving you" "Missing you" "All you ever do is bring me down" and "The writing on the wall" This cd is never far away from my cd player, and is my most played "Mavericks" cd, after the release of the single "Just wanna dance the night away" the "Mavericks" became famous worldwide, and have since gone on to release more group and solo cds, but this cd I believe, will stand the test of time, and one day it will be acclaimed as the masterpiece of their recorded work. If you do not have this cd in your collection, I would recommend that you check it out. Mrs.M Walsh."Maw".
VINE VOICEon 21 October 2003
You never quite know what you are going to get with a Mavericks album, and this is the one occasion when Raul and the boys push it too far. Whilst not a terrible album by any stretch of the imagination, it must be counted as perhaps their least excellent effort.
Here it is almost as if they slip into self-parody and whilst the tunes are as catchy as ever you can't help but think that the joke has gone too far. The homage to 60's guitar pop was a good idea, but it wasn't implemented very well.
on 17 March 2010
This is a great Mavericks album combining Country,Tex-Mex and Rock and roll.With the standout tracks being "Here Comes The Rain" "Missing You" and the i dare you not to dance Cajun influenced "All You Ever Do Is Bring Me Down" Plus best ever cover versions of "Something Stupid and Blue Moon.But what makes this a classic is the wonderful vocals of Raul Malo.He really is a modern day Roy Orbison

The Mavericks are an outstanding group and it is criminal that their music is not more widely heard.Do youself a favour a buy this.You wont be diappointed
on 10 October 2015
Brilliant group, they are so under rated, I just do not know why. Raul Malo has one of the most distinctive voices there is, and he sings every song wonderfully.
on 4 July 2015
Great seller-bargain price and quality product!
on 19 January 2015
A very good price and good delivery time.