on 12 January 2018
EMI's very successful 20 golden greats format,continue on this very good collection of The Hollies hits.
The CD starts and ends with epics/classics The air that I breathe and He ain't heavy,he's my brother -respectively.
The 18 tracks in between aren't bad either:
Infectious guitar driven pop songs;stay,Bus stop,look through Any window etc.although I feel a few tracks hit on a set conveer belt pop format too much.
That said,the guitar playing from underrated guitarist Tony Hicks shine throughout.
On a carasell is a gem.Carrie Anne is my personal favourite Hollies song,this is included on this collection.
This is a succinct and well represented collection of 20 of The Hollies finest recordings,if not entirely flawless.well recommended all the same.
on 19 February 2013
The Magic of the Hollies and the Golden 1960s Era of Allan Clarke, Graham Nash and Tony Hicks, with their incredible harmonizing vocals, along with the excellent drumming technique of Bobby Elliott are unique and facinating. This cd is the Hollies at their best. Allan Clarke who was underated as a singer during that particular era and in the early 1970s, sings these songs magnificently as their Lead Singer, especially the all time classics of "He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother" and "The Air That I Breathe" with such sensitivity that only Allan Clarke could sing in his special expertise way. I am sure that Allan Clarke's exquisite voice would have been most suitable to the country n' western style of singing and very much pleasing to the ear, especially when he went solo after Graham Nash left the Hollies.

Yes! The Hollies truly "Did It Their Way." Tony Hicks guitar playing was fantastic, along with his expertise in "Stop, Stop, Stop" whilst playing the banjo.

The three-in-one harmonies of Allan Clarke, Graham Nash, and Tony Hicks are brilliant.

The Hollies are Magic.

Anyone who listens to this cd will be delighted.
on 1 February 2017
I have owned a copy of this for over 30 years and used the download to have the CD transferred to my phone and Samsung Pad with ease. I will never tire of listening to "The Sound of Manchester" and the triple harmonies of Clarke, Nash and Hicks.
on 30 June 2017
Love the Hollies and cudnt wait to play this CD, prompt delivery how ever poor sound from this little round disc , some songs were out of sync lots of instruments but sounded like the lyrics were in another country , you have to listen really hard to hear them , so was disappointed.
on 26 April 2013
Sent for this cd as I realised I had only one track by the Hollies on my iPod. This cd is superb with all the past hits the group made. It was a pleasure listening to the tracks which brought back many memories of the Manor Lounge at Stockport where I saw them, and also at the Top Ten Club at Belle Vue. The cd is well recorded and of the originals, ie not re recorded. Well recommended, even if I was never really a fan of the Hollies.
on 4 December 2017
My find of the year. Thank heavens you can't overplay a digital download. At least three plays a week since i got it,
on 1 June 2018
I grew up in Manchester , The Hollies ARE a Manchester Group
on 3 February 2015
I'm not a complete fan, but they have been a very successful, and versatile group. I bought a copy of the CD, which is misplaced by me. This is the mp3, and sounds the same. My mind is taken back to the 80's, and EMI cassettes by them! Well worth it for lovers of popular music, I'd say!
on 11 September 2010
Well what can you say about a legendry group that are still touring ,there,s not many groups nowadays that last or will last as long as these have,i first had this music on vinyl and when i saw it in CD format i had to have it as i obviously new the tracks and it is one of there better collections of music,a good sing along type CD 20 Golden Greats: 20 Great Sounds That Grew Out of the North
3 people found this helpful
on 8 May 2016
Bought this for my Dad, he's always said they're a proper band with meaningful lyrics and was very happy with the tracklisting. As I bought it I got the mp3's to my account as well - brilliant!