Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£73.14+ £1.26 shipping

on 30 April 2009
The Cherry Red re-release has a different track listing to that shown in the product listing. It should be:

Track List
14.Fast Boyfriends
15.She Flipped
16.Goodbye To That Jazz
17.This Train
18.Fast Boyfriends (Richard Skinner Session)
19.£600,000 (Richard Skinner Session)
20.I'm Beautiful Now (Richard Skinner Session)
21.Pleasure (Richard Skinner Session)
22.Boys At their Best (Demo)
review image
on 29 October 1999
It's funny how the really great albums from the early Eighties seemed to have vanished into oblivion. This is one of the great punk-pop albums. Right up there with The Undertones and The Buzzcocks. If ever there was a course Three Minute Pop Songs 101 this would be a key text. A manic pop thrill indeed
on 24 July 2001
Pleasure (included here as tracks 6-16) was one of my favourite ever vinyl albums when I was in my late teens. The CD arrived this morning and I've been through it four times since. It's still as good as ever, how many other albums can be called as fresh and vibrant 20 years on?
Judy Evans' crystal clear vocals soar over tunes that flip from Status Quo 12 bar to Siouxsie and the Banshees to Depeche Mode synthesiser. It's like Young Marble Giants on speed, it's like every school band you ever heard IF they had talent and a decent studio, it's like all that was best about a period when we were all free to do our own thing, it's like being 18 again. Marvellous!
on 7 August 2002
This is one album (CD) you'll play for a long time and wonder in amazement why you never heard it before! I'm a melody freak and this collection has melodies oozing everywhere, but be forewarned, you've probably never heard melodies like this before! Judy's voice does indeed soar up and down and sideways, but never in an aggravating way. The melodies are, simply, too catchy to ignore but on the other hand, sometimes quite unusual! There is almost a Medieval sound to one of the songs, which will attest to the special unique-ness to this album. This is pure pop with a punk edge, but with melodies that most Punk never achieved. Buy it at once!
on 11 January 2014
Bought this on a whim when buying other other punk treasures I found back on Amazon.
Remember the Mo-Dettes? Well thought this was going to be of a similar order.
First two tracks are quite listenable but then the quality goes downhill drastically with a tinny voice, silly cartoonish musical arrangements and laughable lyrics that reminds me of Sesame Street.
So maybe the 5 star reviews are by 5 year olds, can't think of anything else
VINE VOICEon 17 January 2007
After a long time searching I managed to lay my hands on a copy of this CD without the large price tag attached. I am so happy I did, it is now one of my most treasured possessions.

As you can see I am writing this review years later from the others so much music has happened since then.

I remember John Peel playing Girls at our Best years ago and seeing them in the NME, Sounds, etc and liking what I heard and saw. Also my English teacher had their poster on the classroom wall after seeing them live and gave me a spare copy! But it was not until the Rough Trade Shops indie 01 CD (mentioning them only sadly, not including a track) and reading 'Rip it up' that I decided to finally hunt down a copy of this CD and it was way difficult! Which is an absolute tragedy as this must be heard!

This is post punk at its bouncy, jangliest with Judy's lovely girlish vocals. The songs are very poppy and Judy sings at full belt. They also zoom off in different angles which is difficult to imagine unless you hear it but you will get those melodies stuck in your head, I guarantee it.

If you are discovering or re-discovering post punk through any of the above CD and book or also the fine Rough Trade post punk CD, they are probably not suited to a more serious Wire/Magazine type listener but rather a more Family Fodder (Debbie Harry is one of my ultimate feel good tracks), some of the later indie like perhaps Primitives, or if you want to look to more recent stuff - any J-Pop, Helen Love, etc. This compilation from the great Vinyl Japan label features the album Pleasure plus the singles and the B-sides.

They are truly a great forgotten band which needs to be re-released and made more widely available to hear and while we're at it, how about re-releasing some Dolly Mixture and the Family Fodder CDs? There are so many girl singer bands out there, but not all of them can cut it like Judy. TRY and get a copy..
on 26 January 2016
Xmas present for my husband
on 25 June 2015
Worth a punt at this price.
on 4 July 2004
Fantastic album! i worked with jez later on and he's a man of many talents (if you read this e-mail me from [...] they were leeds legends and i'm sure with the current vogue for all things disco-punk and electro that girl at our best revival will be something to look forward too. the new generation had better look over their shoulders...!
all best
on 2 November 2009
Great to hear this again - still holds up well even though it is very much of its time.