Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 August 2017
Having just been introduced to this group/album, I promptly bought it and LUVIT. Arrived well packaged and in good time and haven't stopped playing it - Enjoy x
on 6 April 2017
Captain Dread...from the Mean Machines Monk scene. Class.
on 1 April 2017
Good easy listening
on 16 August 2014
Great album,great price and well packed.
on 10 September 2017
Brlliant. Innovative.
VINE VOICEon 20 December 2009
Explaining Dreadzone to people is really tricky. The second you tell them it's reggae, it's like the blinkers come on & whatever you say on the subject will be ignored as most people's impression of 'Reggae' is Sean Paul & 'Mr Lover-Lover'!

This is such a pity as I just wish they would understand how awesome Dreadzone can be & how broad the church of Reggae is (if it is Reggae at all...)

This album is a case in point as it is filled with excellent music which has survived the test of time. Like The Fat of the Land,Leftism or Jagged Little Pill, the content has lost none of its power & its influence seems to stretch throughout late 90's dance.

Furthermore, go to see them live (or listen to Dreadzone Live at Sunrise) & songs like 'Little Britain' & Zion Youth are up there with the best of modern times. Curiously you will also discover that songs that sound cluttered & imperfect on here (e.g. 'Captain Dread') have been evolved to become polished perfection.

And yet this album isn't celebrated with the greatest, despite its abundance of diverse sounds (e.g. A Canterbury Tale), meaning that only a select few know about it.

Originally my attitude to this was that it was good to keep the secret. This is true, but given the lame state of music nowadays, I have a better idea:

With books, authors often print new editions to keep them up to date. My suggestion on this album is that Dreadzone should publish a second edition (including the re-recorded editions of all the songs), which will take the brilliance of this album, fuse it with the gradual improvements made through the live shows & then present the finished product to a whole new generation.

In this way, people could understand how amazing this album is & see great music with a fresh, unblinkered pair of eyes. If there is any justice in the charts, then songs like 'Little Britain', Shining Path & the evolved versions of 'Captain Dread' & Zion Youth (Dreadzone Mix) should wipe the floor with anything X factor provides & us loyal fans will have the pleasure of saying "I told you so!"

Sound a good idea? If it does, then make sure you ask Dreadzone at their next Gig & if we succeed, then it will be worth all the effort...

Alternatively, you could just buy this album & experience the brilliance of what this edition has to offer. Still, it'd be good if it did happen, wouldn't it?

P.S. As I'm such a huge fan of this album, I decided to write reviews of each of my favourite MP3's off of it. In order they are:
Little Britain
A Canterbury Tale
Captain Dread
If you want to try before you buy, then I seriously recommend the 1st two (together, because of the sample at the end of 'Little Britain') for a flavour of the album.
on 4 February 2003
It's been said that the proof of any bands' talent is in the second album; Dreadzone had a mammoth task to just keep up with 360degrees, the first album.
But they did, albeit with a strangely effective blend of Olde English samples combined with their usual inspiring use of dub. Second Light is like a spliff - fuelled trek across the English Countryside, taking in caves, oceans and sailors (could just be me!)with Mr. Kipling at your side. Theres an even more spititual feel about this album; it is so chilled out it just fills you with a sense of peace and well being. I can't say enough good things about Dreadzone, so when i found out they would no longer be touring "as a band" (we lose money) it was something of a blow. However, if you live in London you can catch Greg at his DUBWIZER sessions at various locations.
on 18 March 2013
This review is for the first disc of the 2CD collectors edition of Second Light. Some of the earlier reviews shown are from the earlier issue of this album which suffers from poor sound quality.

Musically this album has been in my top five ever since I first bought it as an impulse buy in a local independent record shop shortly after it's release. Other reviewers have written about the music better than I can. But I was never happy with the sound which I always described as murky and I have been waiting for it to be remastered to improve things. Well the remastering has been a total success in my opinion. When the new version arrived I listened to it all and it was obvious that everything had greater clarity, space and depth. A quick comparison to my original copy showed that the original came across as flat and messy with the sound appearing to come from the middle of the soundstage. The dubby effects on the remaster have much greater height and width and appear in front of the speakers rather than between them. Bass level is possibly very slightly reduced against the original but this is more than made up by it being easier to follow within the music.

I haven't listened to disc 2 yet as I really only bought this as an upgrade for sound of the original release. I would also like to comment on the review by Moodjo that states that Little Britain sounds odd. I agree that on first listening that it does but comparing the two releases side by side I think this is down to the remastering rather than anything else. I think that I will get used to it.

The packaging is very disappointing though. This is called the collectors edition which would suggest that it is supposed to be a premium product. The album comes in a trifold cardboard sleeve which split as I was taking the disc out for the first time (I had exactly the same problem with the Fleet Foxes special edition CD which is similarly packaged). The fact that this is such a great album means that even this can't drag down my rating.

However please don't let this put you off buying it. If, like me, you have been underwhelmed by the sound quality of the original this is totally worth buying for the upgrade in sound and if you have not yet heard Dreadzone this is where I would start. I haven't heard any of their CDs after Biological Radio but of their first three albums this is easily my favourite.
on 25 April 2006
Keep going back to this CD AND IT'S FANTASTIC SOUNDSCAPES TIME AND TIME AGAIN.It is one of those albums that you just have to put on again as soon as the last track has finished. Loved the single Little Britain when I first heard it and was amazed to hear them sample a 'Neo Geo' track of Ryoichi Sakamoto(of Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence fame). If you like a bit of chilled out dub, then this is your baby!
on 4 February 2009
I adore this album. It has a rich timeless quality to it, the joyous mix of dub reggae with english folk is inspired and wonderful.

It also holds memories for me of a good friend who passed on not too long ago, it was one of her favourite albums too (she bloody nicked it! That's why I bought the download!)

The download is good quality and doesn't distort at all, buy it, you wont regret it.