Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

TOP 100 REVIEWERon 19 January 2015
Wonderful album, and my personal best song is 'Opportunity' brings back great memories.
on 10 April 2017
Excellent
VINE VOICEon 18 July 2009
There is something very euphoric about this album and takes me back to the sound of the sixties. Perhaps it is the use of the keyboards.
I first bought it twenty years ago on cassette and enjoyed it then. I have long since done away with the cassette players but the cassette remains unused in a box.
It was time to repeat the performance on CD and I did not regret it.
Was the vocalist not a son of Mick Jaggar? Perhaps I am wrong, but there was something that ilk about one of the band anyway.
Nice album - I love it.
In the beginning, The Charlatans were one of those bands which pioneered the Madchester and baggy scene, but the talent of Tim Burgess and his men was far greater than a lot of their contemporaries, as demonstrated by subsequent releases when went onto show their great versatility, and lead to stay power, both as a group, and in terms of chart success.

'Some Friendly' was released in 1990, and is the band's debut studio album, containing two anthems of the era, which might very well be among the greatest songs of the Nineties, the hit singles 'The Only One I Know', which gave the band a very clear individuality amongst their contemporaries, and 'Then'. Lots of other highlights are also on offer, including the opener 'You're Not Very Well', 'Opportunity', 'Believe You Me', 'Sonic', and the haunting closer 'Sproston Green'.

From start to finish, 'Some Friendly' has a dreamy, Sixties-esque psychedelic sound, and where inspiration was clearly drawn from The Stone Roses, these guys decided to lean more towards pop music than rock. Better albums were to follow, but the Charlatans' debut has aged very well, and will still win over a new generation of music lovers today. Buy or download it today, and transport yourself back to the early Nineties.
on 8 April 2009
This is definitely one of the albums you definitely must own if you are or were in to Madchester music of the late 80's, early 90's. One of the best songs of the era, 'The Only One I Know' is on there along with some excellent psychedelic tracks like 'Opportunity', 'Flower' & '109 Pt2' (Pt1 is on the b side to 'The Only One I Know' single). If you like Stone Roses, Inspiral Carpets then this is a must have. I especially love the Hammond Organ sound, which I think The Charlatans miss in some of their later albums, due to the untimely death of keyboard player, Rob Collins, in 1996.
on 9 March 2001
The Charlatans as heard on this, their debut album, are a different proposition from the Charlatans of 'Tellin' Stories' fame. Along with 'the Stone Roses' and 'Pills 'N' Thrills and Bellyaches', this album epitomises the Madchester scene of the early nineties. And, although it does not flow with the same genius as the Roses' album, or reverberate with the raw energy of the Mondays', it is a very good album. 'The only one I know' is a classic, and the album would be worth buying for that song alone. However, there is more to this album than just one song. It is impossible to sit still to tracks like 'you're not very well' and 'white shirt' - they have a real vibe about them. Although the album lulls very slightly in the middle, if there is a better ending to an album than the fantastic 'Sproston Green' I am yet to hear it. It is a good enough song for the band to have finished their live shows with it, even after 'Tellin' Stories'. Not an album that defines its era, as 'The Stone Roses' does, but still an album packed with good tunes, and sprinkled with a couple of great ones.
on 27 January 2000
The Charlatans exploded into the UK music scene near the death throes of the "baggy" scene with this excellent debut album. Although not everybody's cup of tea this album contains the classic "The Only One I Know" as well as the fantastic "Then" and "Sproston Green". The dark and addictive bass line of "Flower" is yet another excellent track, along with the strange Hammond influenced tracks of "polar bear", "Believe you me" and the racier "White shirt". Worth buying for the classics alone, you may also find these "baggy" tracks equally enjoyable.
on 31 January 2017
This album really takes me back to being young and rebellious and being criticised for having an eclectic taste in music, but I didn't give a you know what coz I know what I like and my music is an anthem to how I live my life. Anyway I'd say that this is The Charlatans finest work and Tim Burgess and the lads were not second rate as everyone thought. He's got an unusual voice agreed but that's what makes their sound unique. My favourites have got to be The Only One I Know, You're Not Very Well, Opportunity, and Then. All round great stuff. Cheers fellas!
on 25 October 2016
single format, poor booklet 4 page without credits album, a bit photo and without track letters, but very well condition and fast delivered
on 29 January 2015
Classic debut album, brings back some great memories.