on 3 November 2015
Absolutely fabulous, innovative, and a superb example of a virtuoso producer taking hold of some of the most popular music in the past century - FOR HIS OWN RIGHT. Listening to this, and considering the familiarity most have with Beatles material, I'm left with a few strong impressions. The mastery of Martin's guidance and production skills as both he and the Beatles evolved from the first album to the last. It was very much a symbiotic relationship as each album was released ( or so it would seem as this CD is listened to ), and what Martin has done with the Beatles material in his own right is OUTSTANDING. It's virtuoso stuff. As a secondary note, the label the Beatles were released on in the UK, Parlaphone, was originally intended by EMI to be a light entertainment label; comedy and the like. I think Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan had released stuff on the label, although I have no idea if they had any relation with George Martin. Peter Sellers and the Beatles ( John Lennon specifically ) used to hang out together, and if you search You Tube you'll find some fascinating experimental comedy movies with both Lennon and Sellers, which I believe was directed by Richard Lester. But I digress: this CD is excellent. I could not say enough good about it, and I must say that my Suirround Stereo on my movie tuner makes the music all the more spectacular. Perfect Stereo music enveloping you with excellence.
on 14 July 2014
Proving that these songs stand out for what they are, not just because of who sings and plays, George Martin shows that he can also find people who can give those songs the justice they deserve. Great songs that he helped the beatles breathe life into are now brought to life by other inpired choices. And I use the word "inspired" with great reverence, because this is an inspired album, crafted by a true genius. He has taken the exceptional work of Lennon and McCartney and transposed them in a way that makes them so different, yet without losing their original polish and shine. Some are better than others of course, but Jim Carrey on 'I am the walrus' is only trumped by my favourite, the singular voice of Sean Connery on 'In my life'.
on 10 January 2016
Ages ago I saw the TV programme about how this recording was made and I bought the tape version then as I had enjoyed it so much and when I realised it was available on CD I just had to buy it. Highlights for me are Geoff Beck's instrumental version of 'A Day in the life' John Williams delightful rendition of 'Here Comes the Sun' , Jim Carrey's perfectly weird take on 'I am the Walrus' , Celine Dion's sweet interpretation of 'Here, There and Everywhere' and Phil Collins wonderful drum roll and vocals in 'Golden Slumbers'. I would give it 5 stars if they had excluded Sean Connery's awful speaking version of 'In my Life'
on 18 January 2015
I love this cd, I am a big Beatles fan and every one of these tracks does them justice. George Martin was obviously a huge inspiration to them and this, his final production is a salute to them, all the people he has worked with and performers he has liked and admired throughout his lifetime.There are some unlikely voices such as the great Robin Williams, Goldie Hawn, Sean Connery along with amazing instrumentals by Vanessa Mae, John Williams and an excerpt from George Martin's Pepperland suite which is the film score for Yellow Submarine. This cd is a truly a work of art and comes highly recommended.
on 16 April 2015
The brains behind the Beetles. So much of their later work shows the inspiration that working with George Martin had on them. The people willing to contribute is a testimony to the high regard he has in the industry and the arrangements are absolutely wonderful. It ends too soon.
on 23 July 2017
Listen to it all the time
on 27 August 2016
An almost perfect record which adds something new to the Beatles' classics chosen. My favourites are 'I am the Walrus' sung brilliantly by Jim Carrie and Celine Dion's wonderful version of 'Here, There and Everywhere'.
on 26 September 2017
Great CD.
on 11 March 2015
Nice collection. Very interesting interpretations of the Beatles songs. Nice piece of history with what it meant to producer George Martin.
on 3 January 2014
If you have never heard this album, do get one.

The songs are timeless, and the range of artists singing who you would never have thought of
are a brilliant choice, Jim Carrey and the Walrus song! inspired and Goldie Hawn sounds fab!!!
Give it a try.