Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 December 2015
Nice album!
VINE VOICEon 13 December 2011
Budgie were great, but the change of record company in the late 70s, just about the time guitarist Tony Bourge bowed out to be replaced by John Thomas, means that it's always been difficult to get their best work together on one album. This is the collection of their earlier work that was offered to mid-70s fans, so you won't find anything of their late-70s and early 80s revival.

Budgie remain one of the great power trios, with Breadfan respectfully covered by Metallica, and this is a stormingly good compilation, but there's no way to find a compilation (even of their earlier work for MCA) that includes both their crunchingly heavy version of Them's Baby Please Don't Go and Napoleon Bona. To my mind, both these are essential.

This is a fine album, but if you stop here you're still missing something.
on 2 July 2013
Why this band never made it big time will always baffle and the only thing I have ever managed to narrow it down to is their name. Somehow it never seemed to go hand in hand with what has to be the most underrated heavy metal band of all time? You can hear their influence in so many that were to follow. Granted this 'compilation' only actually covers three of their studio albums but it does not really matter. If you are a fan of early metal this CD is a must buy as it is surely a part of rock history. This 'budget' price CD is excellent value, in fact it is worth it for the classic 'Breadfan' alone!
on 5 November 2005
I have the vinyl version of this album which I purchased in my youth - now in my 40s this LP still sounds fresh. A trio from Wales who make so much noise in such a controlled way. A cover version (Baby Please Don't Go) better than the original in my opinion and a stylish rendition of an Andy Fairweather-Low song (Ain't No Mountain) add to the superb songs written by the band. Gentle strumming and picking of guitars building to crescendos of strumming, sublime bass lines and I'm sure at times the drumming needs 3 hands. A wall of sound flecked with moments of brilliance and consistently outstanding it is easy to see how Budgie influenced so many rock bands of the late 70s and 80s as well as the likes of The Stereophonics and other 'new' guitar bands. Still touring ('05) and still exciting and loud - give them a listen. This is a good compilation - favourite albums of mine are Bandolier, In for the kill and Squawk. Best listened to LOUD!
...sadly they didnt,forever lost in the lower divisions of the heavy rock world,they never reached the level that they deserved,this compilation will illustrate why, the naff cover and even poorer booklet dont do justice to this great band,the average sound quality dosent help either,it was ever thus for this group.

The actual music is superb,thundering riffs(some poached later by other bands),beautiful acoustic moments and some searing lead guitar playing confirms that Budgie were genuinely unlucky not to have reached a higher level.Forever consigned it would appear to playing as a support band in my youth,saw them support - Gillan/Ozzy and Rush(i think),always a pleasure to see live,this is a decent intro,a proper compilation remastered is surely in order.
on 15 October 2009
I had been looking at buying this for a while having been reminded about them probably by Amazon when purchasing other rock albums of that era. The first and last time I saw Budgie was at Reading festival back in 1980, they sounded OK but weren't a band I'd knew of at the time so didnt really appreciate them as much as I should have. So, reading the reviews on here I decided to have another listen, always looking for new 'old' stuff from years gone by, and I've got to say, the music really hits the spot and I've only played the CD right through the once! "Parents" stood out as did Napoleon Bona Part I & II.
To say they are Heavy Metal rather does them an injustice, they are much more subtle than that suggests, some of it is quite "Bluesy" whilst some reminded me of "Wings" and even "T-Rex" (That might just be me though)?
The vocals are very distinctive and might not be to everyones taste but, none the less, if you're like me and like to find some more obscure rock bands to add to your collection then I would definetly recommend it! I'll probably add one or two more of their albums to my collection on the strength of this album.
on 11 January 2001
Budgie are one of the forgotten 'heroes' of seventies heavy rock. They paid they dues, wrote some good songs and some good-ish albums. The covers were what attracted most people when perusing the record racks: evocative, Sci-Fi paintings by Roger Dean. A shame that this album has such a boring cover - the Budgie crew were not exactly handsome chaps at the best of times.... but could they rock!
I recall an excellent gig they did - one of so many for this busy band - in Northampton back in the early-ish seventies... hot sweaty, loud, powerful stuff. Many of the highlights of their set and their career are on this album - I particularly like the track 'Breadfan'.... the bass belts out in awesome fashion. The dimunitive boss of the group whose name escapes me, he wrote most of the songs, played the bass, and it's his impressively wide ranging vocals we hear so well here. I remember he looked like Charles Hawtrey from the Carry On films but who cares when you can turn out songs as good as this.
All their own work and mighty fine stuff it is..... no seventies heavy rock collection is complete without something from Budgie. At least they get to stay in the catalogue even if all their albums have yet to be turned into CDs.....
One of my other favourites, 'Hustler' seemed to have vanished without a trace and I saw them as the support for no less a band than Queen in 1974!
11 Comment| 59 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 20 March 2004
( First, for those who have never heard Budgie - Budgie is a legendary rock group from Wales, famous for their unique and unforgettable sound of guitars. )
In my opinion it is the best compilation album of Budgie - and I am saying that as a great fan of the group and owner of a vinyl version of this album. It contains all best compositions from, I think, their best years. You can find there tracks from albums: "Never Turn Your Back On A Friend" (1973), "In For The Kill" (1974) and "Bandolier" (1975). Actually, it is one of those albums which contain no weak tracks so it is hard to evaluate each one individually. The album contains such famous composition as: "Breadfan", "Parents", "In The Grip Of A Tyrefitter's Hand" or "In For The Kill". Besides among them there are also such 'pearls' of rock music like: "I can't See My Feelings", "Breaking All The House Rules", "Baby Please Don't Go" or amazing, almost ten minutes long "Zoom Club".
( So, if you like good rock music, do not know the group yet or do not have any their cds, I really recommend this album to you. )
on 12 March 2017
Its great but why did they only pick songs from 3 of the bands 10 studio albums?
on 5 February 2012
First Budgie album I've owned after watching them on Youtube and it didn't disappoint! Brilliant start with 'Breadfan' which is still covered by Metallica in their live shows. Great variety of tunes and well worth a listen.