Format: Audio CD|Change

This is a superb album featuring the inimitable big band of Count Basie. This music is just pure gold standard audio heaven. It conjures up a variety of moods, all guaranteed to brighten up your day, no matter how bad it might be going.

I am normally listening to rock or small group jazz, so this is quite a bit out of my normal "comfort zone". However, it is great music played by an outstanding band being led by a charismatic and gifted leader.

Essential!
on 4 February 2016
It doesn't get any better than this. I was in the "House Band" , on SS Canberra in 1973, when Basie Band were with us . They only played two Concerts, but some Members came to sit in with us "lowly House Musicians ". Sonny Payne was on Drums, Curtis Peagler on Alto, Frank Hawks on Trombone . Wonderful Times !. One of the best L p s C D s ever, Marvellous History !. Buy it Now !.
review image
on 25 July 2013
A burst of energy and a foot tapping cd if ever there was. Another great cd from the era of dance and entertainment. Imagine dancing with your partner in a time when everyone was in the same boat and hungry for a good night out. Dance floors were filled and young people as well as older ones, got dressed up and forgot about their woes. I think my carpet will need replacing soon!
on 1 September 2013
I can't praise this CD enough and enjoy every minute of it. The band romps away through all the tracks and this is one of my very favourite albums.
I can listen to again and again without getting bored even though I know every note now. Every Basie fan should have this album.
S.Jones
on 29 January 2013
I saw Count Basie and his Orchestra, this line up, in the mid 1950's on there first trip to UK. I saw them at King Georges Hall in Blackburn. I became an immediate fan. I will always remember the trumpet line up,Sonny Payne and Big Joe Williams that night.
This CD replaces an old vinyl LP
on 30 May 2013
Count Basiie probably nthe best of the big bands ever, With a asuperb rythm section I have the original mono recors but can now enjoy in full surround sound.
on 25 September 2015
Exactly as I remembered! Still carries Basie's flair for big band music!
on 12 March 2015
One of my favourite Basie albums. Everyone's smoking here.
on 7 July 2016
Apart from the front cover, this volume is excellent
on 2 January 2015