Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 December 2011
I bought this for a friend, having got it already myself; I think it is by far the best I have heard, the tempos are excellent and all soloists good.
on 14 January 2014
Wonderful! This is the recording to buy if you want quality. John Eliot Gardiner incomparable. The notes are worth reading too.
on 28 December 2012
A total joy to listen to. Have wanted to acquire this recording for a long time, and was not disappointed.
on 19 October 2014
Probably the best version of Bach's Christmas Oratoio
on 3 December 2015
Excellent version. Very enjoyable.
on 11 May 2015
This was super. JKS(Mrs.)
on 23 November 2014
Good German version
on 14 November 2014
History fails to record the name of the man who was more heroic than any recipient of the Victoria Cross or the Medal of Honor but his fame lives on in the annals of bravery. When Ronnie Reagan unleashed the might of the Republic on the island-state of Grenada in 1983, carrier-based jets accompanied the Marines. In response, this unnamed member of the Grenadian Air Force took off his Cessna and flew gamely towards the American squadrons.

He was armed with a shotgun.

Up against the Tomcats, I suspect this lionhearted warrior was no ace when he perished fierily. Even so, he served his day. I think longingly of his feats whenever I turn my attention to Jeggy's Christmas Oratorio. It's been in my collection for over twenty years. Good money was paid. The presentation is first class and the booklet is scholarly. But sadly, I lack intestinal fortitude: I have never been able to listen to it in its entirety.

It takes a braver man than me to encompass this bright vacuity. Awash with fast tempi, clipped phrasing and glibness, it's a stark reminder of why Jeggy is almost unlistenable in this repertoire - assuming of course that one wants Bach to be a numinous encounter. Anthony Rolfe Johnson is probably the best of the soloists - and that's saying something.

Bach's Christmas Oratorio is a meticulously planned masterpiece; the German notes in the booklet contain an amazing diagram to that end. Each of the Six Parts has a distinctive character of its own. But you would never guess it on the basis of this recording. Much like the squares of a Rubik Cube, all of the movements are interchangeable, such be the homogeneity of the `Jeggy Lacquer'. If you have this survey in your collection, play either disc in the car and push the `Random' button. Soon you'll be in agreement.

Befittingly, we close with the brave pilot above.

He will not grow old as we that are left grow old. Jeggy shall not weary him, nor the English Baroque Soloists condemn. At the closing of the Christmas Oratorio, we will remember him.

Lest we forget.