Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 November 2007
This is a great introduction to Mozart and some nice musical masterpieces that will just help you unwind! However, this CD will not do any better or worse job than anything by Mozart - and I would recommend a collection compiled by Teresa Berganza, Sony. It is affordable and quite extensive.
on 13 February 2010
This CD was not made for Classical enthusiasts, so shouldn't be judged on that criteria. When I discovered it, I knew little about Orchestral music and my music education rested solely on Rock and Pop. Mozart for your Mind was my introduction to the music of Mozart over ten years ago and has continued to be a guiding light in how I look for performances of Mozart's music. Each track on the disc is most definitely the catchiest movements from the selected works, and deserve to stand on their own as masterpieces. The performances have continued to be the yardstick that I judge all other performances on - so few other recordings have been able to match the precision and tightness of the ensembles on these recordings: I haven't heard a performance of the "Haffner" symphony in the same league as the English Baroque Soloists as sampled on this disc, nor anything that matches the vibrant performance of the Quartetto Italiano on String Quartet no. 14. Although I am not a fan of Uchida's solo Mozart, with Jeffery Tate and the English Chamber Orchestra this recording sits perfectly alongside the other Piano Concertos by Brendel and Kovacevich, and is just as enjoyable.

I think this CD is a great introduction to Mozart, if not an excellent one. As a compilation it works perfectly - much better, and much more enjoyable than other Classical compilations. I don't think of it as a Mozart album to help increase the brainwaves, but as a beginning to discover more of the best of Mozart!
on 31 January 2001
Marketing gone mad!
Basically this is a compilation disc of 'best bits' wrapped in pseudo-science suggesting a direct link between listening and improvement in intelligence! Don't believe it.
There are 11 extracts from longer pieces - any of which is worth listening to, but would be better served in the context of the whole piece.
The mainstay is the work of Neville Marriner and the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields. Good solid performances all. Most of the disc was recorded around 20 years ago.
If you want musical wallpaper -this is fine (and that is how I use it). If you are new to serious music - this is as good an introduction to Mozart as any other (and better than many). But it won't make you smarter.
on 13 August 2014
I've been feeling torporous of late. I look at so many books in my library and wonder how I ever had the RAM to encompass them. I never recovered from The Room - the Citizen Kane of bad movies; its sex scenes in particular acted as a defoliant on my IQ. Much to the disgust of one and all, I developed a fetish for frozen pizzas and over-the-phone surveys. My decrepitude did not go unnoticed. Ever so cabalistically, the Chief Procurement Officer of the Australian Knappertsbusch Association told me it was time to road-test "Mozart for the Mind - Boost your Brain Power". He assured me it was the musical equivalent of Omega-3 tablets. I should have taken stock at that point (as Wikileaks reveal, he covets the presidency) but the London-style pea-soup fog in my mind precluded thought. Nevertheless it seemed like a good idea at the time and more feasible than hanging around the dog-track with Stephen Hawking. A week later, it - yes it - showed up in the mail. At first I was suspicious - it looks like an update of Unicorn Oil or Doctor Mephisto's Asbestos Milkshakes. Amidst so many bleeding chunks, the prominence of one Neville Marriner was noted and fearfully so. Anyway, I listened to nothing else for the next two days until a spartacist uprising, in the guise of the Real Boss and Twin Tyrants, eventuated. There be blood, as they say.

What was I expecting? It's not easy to fathom. Sad to say, early Phoenician hieroglyphs are still a mystery. Nor can I bring closure to Einstein's Unified Field Theory. My translation of Plotinus' Enneads into medieval Finnish is stalled at Book IV. Worse still, I am still magnetically drawn to the sad spectacle of "Celebrity Deathmatch hits Germany" as I seek an author-inscribed copy of Birth Control is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!! These are signs and ominous at that. The Reaper cometh and he cometh for thee.

Go on a bender of Adam Sandler movies. They're a better investment than this insidious crud.
on 10 August 2015
great little cd excellent service too
on 8 December 2010