Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 March 2005
This album changed my life. Never before had I heard such a crushing riproar of a record. It left me senseless yet elated that there was a bunch of songs out there that pushed away the pains of everyday life and said come on then, lets have it. From opener Disconnect you know what this record is about.Divine Object of Hatred gives you a reality blast of human nature at it's worst, but this album strips you of fear as you have no time to ponder on your inadequate existence. Vol 4 rattles the inside of your brain and it comes at this point that you say okay I will live my life I will get out there and do it ive had enough of this barrage. The final track SHINE finishes the album nicely. To me it is a culmination of everyhing that went before it,if you had doubts about life, if you thought you could put it all off until tomorrow think again, SHINE will tell you something you may not wanna hear.
A brilliant record. I know Rollins may not be everyones cup of the finest tea, his brutal vocal approach lays waste to most, but this is the whole point.
on 7 June 2008
For me this is the best album made by the best incarnation of Rollins' Band.
That it followed the violent death of Rollins' soulmate Joe Cole by months is not suprising when you listen to tracks like Volume, Tired & Civilized. This context only serves to make tracks like Alien Blueprint & Shine more amazing.
Hank's words cut between the misanthropic Mechanik Rollins & the 'Do It' Rollins.....before it's too late.

Musically it's so on the money it's not true. Gibbs bass is infinitely more dynamic than Weiss'& the album benefits from his input. Make no mistake, Black Flag it aint, but this is HEAVY. Production is also awesome after the disappointing sound of End of Silence.

I've been listening to this album for well over ten years now - I can't remember a time when I haven't. It makes for cracking work out music.

I've also got the lyrics to 'Shine' on my wall at work - sad maybe, but noone's challenged me about it yet.
on 22 October 2012
Weight (1994) is the defining album for Henry Rollins and the Rollins Band. The former Black Flag frontman hit creative gold with this hard-hitting hardcore alternative metal heavyweight. Energy. Anger. Creativity. Hatred. Lyrical. Intelligent. Powerful. Rollins is a master of funk-rock-metal driven hardcore. His music deserves a sub-genre of its own. Weight was released to rave reviews and is, to date, their most commercially successful album - not that Rollins cares about the success. He prides himself on NOT being a celebrity. Funk. Rock. Blues. Metal. Alternative. It's all here in 12 amazing tracks:
Disconnect
Wrong Man
Volume
Tired
Alien Blueprint
and the phenomenal Shine (from the Charlie Sheen movie, The Chase (1994), in which Rollins is a co-star).
on 22 April 2007
This is the most important album in my collection. It changed my life from hearing it at age 16. The music is a mix of funk bass, jazz drumming and raging slabs of hardcore vocals. I look at this album as a kind of self help record. You feel down, put it on 'Shine' will lift you, you're pissed off, 'Disconnect' will have you bouncing off the walls! I'm not even gonna start on the effect 'Liar' has had on my life! Whatever your taste, punk, funk, avant-garde, metal, even hip-hop, this is an album worth taking and digesting. LOUD.
on 23 May 2015
Heard this album bout 10 years ago via a mate and never really got into it. Didn't impress me as much as other albums I owned like get some go again, nice or the end of silence. Saw it 2nd hand cheap and after going through a bit of a Rollins band phase, I decided to give it a 2nd chance. Glad I did. Great album once u get into it. Disconnect is a great opener and everyone knows liar from the video back in the day. Some cracker tunes and makes u wish henry and co would start recording and touring again!! CD fine but case was a little damaged. Nothing to get worked up over though. Recommended.
on 8 February 2012
This album throws your ass on the floor and growls 'GIVE ME TWENTY, TURD BUCKET!'. I hadn't heard anything as motivated, concentrated, and full on hard rockin' as this before when I put it in my CD player for the first time. It's headstrong music with real direction and a positive aggression - it's perfect to work out to in fact. Not that I actually work out much but it makes me want to, damn it! so there could be health benefits here too. Henry's lyrics and delivery are killer and inspirational and as focused as the man himself. Look at the track listing - each song here is a belter. Brilliant, heavy, classic. GET IT.
on 11 January 2015